Re: [S-R] A Pronunciation Question

  • gklodzen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 22, 2008
      Thank you, Ben. As I've found no "z" with a diacritic in any of the
      documents examined you are likely correct, and that's good to know. Unlike BUCKET
      becoming the preferred bu-QUET for one truly outspoken English individual,
      KLADZAN will remain as always, KLADZAN. I've been told also that it's really not a
      Slovak name either, more likely of Ruthenian/Ukranian origin. That could
      very well be, as the KLADZAN ancestors of record I've discovered so far were all
      from Vinne, in Eastern Slovakia.

      Again, many thanks,

      In a message dated 9/22/2008 8:01:27 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      cerrunos1@... writes:

      Hi there...
      I would bet, only because I cannot find a Kladzan (with hacek), that it is
      NOT an English J sound. I would bet, based on current surnames in Slovakia,
      that it is a d-z sound, like at the end of the english word "skids."
      NOW, if you have documents that show the "z" to have a diacritic, then I
      would tell you that it is a J sound....

      --- On Mon, 9/22/08, _gklodzen@..._ (mailto:gklodzen@...)

      From: _gklodzen@..._ (mailto:gklodzen@...) <_gklodzen@..._ (mai
      lto:gklodzen@...) >
      Subject: [S-R] A Pronunciation Question
      To: _SLOVAK-ROOTS@SLOVAK-ROOTSSLO_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)
      Date: Monday, September 22, 2008, 7:44 AM

      Greetings All,

      A pronunciation question for you if I may. Based on the information provided

      below (a reply to another question) would the "DZ" in the surname "KLADZAN"
      be pronounced as the English "J"? If so, in my Slovak ancestors' time and
      place (Vinna Banka, Hungary) would they have likely pronounced their name as
      "Klah-jen", with the emphasis on the first syllable? Today it is spelled
      KLODZEN. pronounced "KLAH-DZEN".

      Also, you are quite right about the priest writing what he must have heard.
      In 1890s Renovo, PA my grandparents had several spellings of their
      surnames recorded in the church register on the occasion of the
      birth/baptism of their children. I wasn't sure at first if grandmother was
      really Slovak
      (PIKULA) or Italian (PICOLA) as it was spelled both ways :)

      Many thanks,
      Eugene Klodzen

      In a message dated 9/20/2008 10:40:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      armata+@pitt. edu writes:

      Hangyak is a Hungarian spelling, "gy" pronounced like English "j" in "jump"..
      Handzak is a Slovak spelling, "dz" (with a mark over the "z") is like
      English "j".
      So these two are pronounced the same.

      So there are two spellings pronounced Hanchak, and two pronounced Hanjak
      (as we'd spell it in English, with j as in jump). The priests spelled
      as they heard back then, so one priest heard the name one way, and the
      other priest the other way.