Re: [S-R] New to Group

  • conserg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 20, 2008
      John - Thank you.I too went to Munhall High so I am very familiar with the area.Also my sister-in-law is a Slinchak who lived near Ravine Street but was unable to help.

      Jean

      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 20, 2008
        John & Barbara,

        Thanks for the reminder on the Homestead Directories, I had forgotten about them. I did find several relatives in the directories but some of the data was in conflict with census reports and other family history documents.

        I was particularly interested in the Daily Messenger for the years 1902 to 1925 looking for births, marriages and deaths.  Although the information was not well organized like the media reports of today I was able to find the information I  was seeking spread throughout the paper.   As I recall the marriages were primarily in the society news section, births were reported in local news and deaths appeared to be listed in the classified section.

        Maybe I was just lucky to have found the information I was seeking during my review.

        My wife and I also graduated from Munhall High School.  I was a graduate in the Class of 1952.

        I had two friends who lived on Ravine Street, Joe Dhotar and Stan Leskanic. I don't recognize any of the surnames you are researching.

        Do you folks live in the Munhall-Homestead area?  I live in North Huntingdon PA, several miles from the Irwin exit of the PA Turnpike.

        Gil K.

        Thanks for the welcome! My mom was born and raised in Munhall as
        well. She grew up on the corner of Ravine Street and East Eighth
        Avenue, across from the Old Nathan Builders.

        Stephen Hanchak set up residence down the road on Ravine Street,
        sometime after he immigrated. He is shown owning the house at 1018
        Ravine St. in 1920. His son, John, my grandfather, bought that house
        on the corner, and they actually shared it with another family for
        many years. The fine touch wood working on the inside was done by my
        grandfather, who, along with his brother, Paul, had outstanding
        woodcrafting abilities.

        I appreciate you asking about the photos. It's sad having these great
        pieces of history, and no clue as to who is in them.
        The Hanchak family were members of St. Michael's Church in Munhall PA
        from the get go, and remained that way, until it became St.
        Maximillian Kolbe, much to the dismay of my grandma.

        I was wondering if any records exist in that area regarding Slovak
        groups or organizations? Jednota, or something similar? Slovak
        Catholic Church organizations? Yearbooks, memberships, etc? Does
        anyone know if such information exists somewhere?

        Does anyone know if the Carnegie Library branch in Munhall holds
        genealogy information pertaining to Munhall?

        Thanks so much!!
        Barbara

        > Hello Barbara,
        >
        > I was born and raised in Munhall. My paternal grandparents settled
        in Homestead in 1902 and my maternal grandparents relocated to
        Munhall in 1914 from Walston, PA. They were members of St.
        Michael's RC Church.

        > I don't recognize the names you noted but I still have family in
        the Munhall-Homestead area and will ask them if they know of these
        folks.

        > I visit the Munhall-Homestead area quite often; please let me know
        if there is anything I can do for you during my visits.

        > I also welcome you to the group.
        >
        > Gil K.

      • John Vamos
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 21, 2008
          Gil,

          I live in the Maryland suburbs of DC. My wife and I are 1960 MHS graduates. We still have some family living in Munhall and West Mifflin.

          John V

          Thanks for the welcome! My mom was born and raised in Munhall as
          well. She grew up on the corner of Ravine Street and East Eighth
          Avenue, across from the Old Nathan Builders.

          Stephen Hanchak set up residence down the road on Ravine Street,
          sometime after he immigrated. He is shown owning the house at 1018
          Ravine St. in 1920. His son, John, my grandfather, bought that house
          on the corner, and they actually shared it with another family for
          many years. The fine touch wood working on the inside was done by my
          grandfather, who, along with his brother, Paul, had outstanding
          woodcrafting abilities.

          I appreciate you asking about the photos. It's sad having these great
          pieces of history, and no clue as to who is in them.
          The Hanchak family were members of St. Michael's Church in Munhall PA
          from the get go, and remained that way, until it became St.
          Maximillian Kolbe, much to the dismay of my grandma.

          I was wondering if any records exist in that area regarding Slovak
          groups or organizations? Jednota, or something similar? Slovak
          Catholic Church organizations? Yearbooks, memberships, etc? Does
          anyone know if such information exists somewhere?

          Does anyone know if the Carnegie Library branch in Munhall holds
          genealogy information pertaining to Munhall?

          Thanks so much!!
          Barbara

          > Hello Barbara,
          >
          > I was born and raised in Munhall. My paternal grandparents settled
          in Homestead in 1902 and my maternal grandparents relocated to
          Munhall in 1914 from Walston, PA. They were members of St.
          Michael's RC Church.

          > I don't recognize the names you noted but I still have family in
          the Munhall-Homestead area and will ask them if they know of these
          folks.

          > I visit the Munhall-Homestead area quite often; please let me know
          if there is anything I can do for you during my visits.

          > I also welcome you to the group.
          >
          > Gil K.

        • Marilyn Hertenstein
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 23, 2010
            Barbara,
            I am interested in your findings for Varsanyik. My ancestors from Slovakia
            were VARSA. Any chance the two names came from the same family? I found
            them all in Teplicska near Spisska Nova Ves.

            Marilyn Hertenstein

            Welcome to the group Barbara. I've been in it a few months now, and, believe
            me, I'm impressed with many of our EXPERTS. I've truly learned a lot.
            I am unfamiliar with any of the surnames you mentioned; however I have one
            observation, regarding your inquiry, about people of Jewish ancestry
            converting to Roman Catholicism. I knew of a man who was a baptised
            Catholic, who decided to adopt Judaism, for his own reasons.
            When we get into the exploration of genealogy, we never know what we are
            likely to uncover. Tom
[...]

            Her husband was Stefan Hancsak/Hangyak/Handzak. He was the son of a
[...]

            LDS films for this particular area. I have been told that there is a
[...]

          • genmom4
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 24, 2010
              Dear Marilyn,
              My Varsanyik relatives used the alias Laczko (or some variation of that spelling). They lived in Sliepkovce (Szelepka), Dubrovka (Dubroka) and Budkovce (Butka). These towns are just south of Mihalovce in Zemplen Megye. They can be found online at the pilot search site of the Family History Website.
              My Varsanyik family seems to be rooted in those towns. I found them in the 1869 census, and they are all farmers.
              There is quite a distance between those two towns. My opinion would be that these are Varsa would not be from the same family line as Varsanyik.
              Thanks for the message.

              Barbara

              - In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Marilyn Hertenstein" <mjhertenstein@...> wrote:

              > Barbara,
              > I am interested in your findings for Varsanyik. My ancestors from Slovakia
              > were VARSA. Any chance the two names came from the same family? I found
              > them all in Teplicska near Spisska Nova Ves.
              >
              > Marilyn Hertenstein

            • Gary Gaba
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 24, 2010
                I noticed in Barbara's e-mail that she mentions (regarding her maternal
                great-grandfather) that "His certificate of arrival number, printed on his
                naturalization papers, is written.." . This is the first time I've heard of
                a Certificate of Arrival Number; Is this the number that shows on her
                Naturalization Petition (AR# 4700902 - bottom left) or would appear on only
                Naturalization Papers and can anyone please advise as to how I might trace
                that back to an Ellis Island Manifest? I have a great-aunt that I have been
                trying to identify as to when she came to the US and we only know her
                married surname and, if I can relate a Certificate of Arrival Number back to
                a Manifest, it will resolve a mystery that my brother and I have been trying
                to solve for 5 years now.

                FYI: Also, I am tracking the following family names (Arrivals from 1900 -
                1910) and would appreciate if anyone else has any information on the
                following..

                Paternal Side of Family

                Gaba from Vagujfalu or Nove Mesto

                Hanacsek from Kocsoce or Trencin

                Hajdusek from Kocsoce or Trencin

                Maternal Side of Family

                Bull (Bul) from Nyitra Sarfo or Radosina

                Vrba from Radosina

                Thanks,

                Gary

              • CurtB
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 24, 2010
                  Barbara,

                  In case you did not know, Varsanyik is spelled Vars~anik in modern Slovak. There are still Vars~anik that live in Sliepkovce and Michalovce, any relation?

                  Curt B