Re: [S-R] New to Group

  • conserg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 19, 2008
      John and Barbara

      I too have family in that area.? However I am looking for the Braddock Free Press.? My relatives were from Rankin an Swissvale. Do you have any knowledge of where the Braddock Free Press could be found.

      I understand that the current owner of the Braddock Free Press merged it with the Homestead Messenger.? He gave copies to the Carnegie Library of Oakland.? However they said they don't have them.

      Jean

      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 20, 2008
        Jean,

        I don't know if the Braddock Free Press papers reside at the Munhall library (actually it is called the Carnegie Library of Homestead these days according to the director's business card), however you might want to contact Tyrone Ward, Library Director, at 412-462-3444 or wardt@.... Mr. Ward has been very helpful.

        I have not been to the McKeesport Carnegie Library, but I have heard that they may have some materials pertaining to McKeesport, Duquesne and some of the other Steel Valley towns. A contact there is Jo Ellen Kenney, 412-672-0627.

        John Vamos

      • conserg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 20, 2008
          John - Thank you.I too went to Munhall High so I am very familiar with the area.Also my sister-in-law is a Slinchak who lived near Ravine Street but was unable to help.

        • Gil Kubancsek
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 20, 2008
            John & Barbara,

            Thanks for the reminder on the Homestead Directories, I had forgotten about them. I did find several relatives in the directories but some of the data was in conflict with census reports and other family history documents.

            I was particularly interested in the Daily Messenger for the years 1902 to 1925 looking for births, marriages and deaths.  Although the information was not well organized like the media reports of today I was able to find the information I  was seeking spread throughout the paper.   As I recall the marriages were primarily in the society news section, births were reported in local news and deaths appeared to be listed in the classified section.

            Maybe I was just lucky to have found the information I was seeking during my review.

            My wife and I also graduated from Munhall High School.  I was a graduate in the Class of 1952.

            I had two friends who lived on Ravine Street, Joe Dhotar and Stan Leskanic. I don't recognize any of the surnames you are researching.

            Do you folks live in the Munhall-Homestead area?  I live in North Huntingdon PA, several miles from the Irwin exit of the PA Turnpike.

            Gil K.

            Thanks for the welcome! My mom was born and raised in Munhall as
            well. She grew up on the corner of Ravine Street and East Eighth
            Avenue, across from the Old Nathan Builders.

            Stephen Hanchak set up residence down the road on Ravine Street,
            sometime after he immigrated. He is shown owning the house at 1018
            Ravine St. in 1920. His son, John, my grandfather, bought that house
            on the corner, and they actually shared it with another family for
            many years. The fine touch wood working on the inside was done by my
            grandfather, who, along with his brother, Paul, had outstanding
            woodcrafting abilities.

            I appreciate you asking about the photos. It's sad having these great
            pieces of history, and no clue as to who is in them.
            The Hanchak family were members of St. Michael's Church in Munhall PA
            from the get go, and remained that way, until it became St.
            Maximillian Kolbe, much to the dismay of my grandma.

            I was wondering if any records exist in that area regarding Slovak
            groups or organizations? Jednota, or something similar? Slovak
            Catholic Church organizations? Yearbooks, memberships, etc? Does
            anyone know if such information exists somewhere?

            Does anyone know if the Carnegie Library branch in Munhall holds
            genealogy information pertaining to Munhall?

            Thanks so much!!
            Barbara

            > Hello Barbara,
            >
            > I was born and raised in Munhall. My paternal grandparents settled
            in Homestead in 1902 and my maternal grandparents relocated to
            Munhall in 1914 from Walston, PA. They were members of St.
            Michael's RC Church.

            > I don't recognize the names you noted but I still have family in
            the Munhall-Homestead area and will ask them if they know of these
            folks.

            > I visit the Munhall-Homestead area quite often; please let me know
            if there is anything I can do for you during my visits.

            > I also welcome you to the group.
            >
            > Gil K.

          • John Vamos
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 21, 2008
              Gil,

              I live in the Maryland suburbs of DC. My wife and I are 1960 MHS graduates. We still have some family living in Munhall and West Mifflin.

              John V

              Thanks for the welcome! My mom was born and raised in Munhall as
              well. She grew up on the corner of Ravine Street and East Eighth
              Avenue, across from the Old Nathan Builders.

              Stephen Hanchak set up residence down the road on Ravine Street,
              sometime after he immigrated. He is shown owning the house at 1018
              Ravine St. in 1920. His son, John, my grandfather, bought that house
              on the corner, and they actually shared it with another family for
              many years. The fine touch wood working on the inside was done by my
              grandfather, who, along with his brother, Paul, had outstanding
              woodcrafting abilities.

              I appreciate you asking about the photos. It's sad having these great
              pieces of history, and no clue as to who is in them.
              The Hanchak family were members of St. Michael's Church in Munhall PA
              from the get go, and remained that way, until it became St.
              Maximillian Kolbe, much to the dismay of my grandma.

              I was wondering if any records exist in that area regarding Slovak
              groups or organizations? Jednota, or something similar? Slovak
              Catholic Church organizations? Yearbooks, memberships, etc? Does
              anyone know if such information exists somewhere?

              Does anyone know if the Carnegie Library branch in Munhall holds
              genealogy information pertaining to Munhall?

              Thanks so much!!
              Barbara

              > Hello Barbara,
              >
              > I was born and raised in Munhall. My paternal grandparents settled
              in Homestead in 1902 and my maternal grandparents relocated to
              Munhall in 1914 from Walston, PA. They were members of St.
              Michael's RC Church.

              > I don't recognize the names you noted but I still have family in
              the Munhall-Homestead area and will ask them if they know of these
              folks.

              > I visit the Munhall-Homestead area quite often; please let me know
              if there is anything I can do for you during my visits.

              > I also welcome you to the group.
              >
              > Gil K.

            • Marilyn Hertenstein
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 23 9:36 PM
                Barbara,
                I am interested in your findings for Varsanyik. My ancestors from Slovakia
                were VARSA. Any chance the two names came from the same family? I found
                them all in Teplicska near Spisska Nova Ves.

                Marilyn Hertenstein

                Welcome to the group Barbara. I've been in it a few months now, and, believe
                me, I'm impressed with many of our EXPERTS. I've truly learned a lot.
                I am unfamiliar with any of the surnames you mentioned; however I have one
                observation, regarding your inquiry, about people of Jewish ancestry
                converting to Roman Catholicism. I knew of a man who was a baptised
                Catholic, who decided to adopt Judaism, for his own reasons.
                When we get into the exploration of genealogy, we never know what we are
                likely to uncover. Tom
[...]

                Her husband was Stefan Hancsak/Hangyak/Handzak. He was the son of a
[...]

                LDS films for this particular area. I have been told that there is a
[...]

              • genmom4
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 24 3:37 AM
                  Dear Marilyn,
                  My Varsanyik relatives used the alias Laczko (or some variation of that spelling). They lived in Sliepkovce (Szelepka), Dubrovka (Dubroka) and Budkovce (Butka). These towns are just south of Mihalovce in Zemplen Megye. They can be found online at the pilot search site of the Family History Website.
                  My Varsanyik family seems to be rooted in those towns. I found them in the 1869 census, and they are all farmers.
                  There is quite a distance between those two towns. My opinion would be that these are Varsa would not be from the same family line as Varsanyik.
                  Thanks for the message.

                  Barbara

                  - In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Marilyn Hertenstein" <mjhertenstein@...> wrote:

                  > Barbara,
                  > I am interested in your findings for Varsanyik. My ancestors from Slovakia
                  > were VARSA. Any chance the two names came from the same family? I found
                  > them all in Teplicska near Spisska Nova Ves.
                  >
                  > Marilyn Hertenstein

                • Gary Gaba
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 24 11:54 AM
                    I noticed in Barbara's e-mail that she mentions (regarding her maternal
                    great-grandfather) that "His certificate of arrival number, printed on his
                    naturalization papers, is written.." . This is the first time I've heard of
                    a Certificate of Arrival Number; Is this the number that shows on her
                    Naturalization Petition (AR# 4700902 - bottom left) or would appear on only
                    Naturalization Papers and can anyone please advise as to how I might trace
                    that back to an Ellis Island Manifest? I have a great-aunt that I have been
                    trying to identify as to when she came to the US and we only know her
                    married surname and, if I can relate a Certificate of Arrival Number back to
                    a Manifest, it will resolve a mystery that my brother and I have been trying
                    to solve for 5 years now.

                    FYI: Also, I am tracking the following family names (Arrivals from 1900 -
                    1910) and would appreciate if anyone else has any information on the
                    following..

                    Paternal Side of Family

                    Gaba from Vagujfalu or Nove Mesto

                    Hanacsek from Kocsoce or Trencin

                    Hajdusek from Kocsoce or Trencin

                    Maternal Side of Family

                    Bull (Bul) from Nyitra Sarfo or Radosina

                    Vrba from Radosina

                    Thanks,

                    Gary

                  • CurtB
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 24 12:43 PM
                      Barbara,

                      In case you did not know, Varsanyik is spelled Vars~anik in modern Slovak. There are still Vars~anik that live in Sliepkovce and Michalovce, any relation?

                      Curt B