Re: [S-R] New to Group

  • genmom4
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 19 5:08 PM
      Dear Gil,
      Thanks for the Munhall Carnegie library information. I will have to
      check that out. Do they alone have the Daily Messenger holdings? Do
      you know if Oakland has a copy? Did they publish marriages, deaths,
      etc,? Did the Daily Messenger only cover Munhall news?

      Are you sure that the Jednota museum is still in Middletown? I live
      east of that area, and when we last made the trip back to Pittsburgh,
      there was a Sale sign up right where the Jednota sign sits. I
      wondered if they moved up to the Danville area.

      I've worked with the Catholic Diocese in the area. But, I have not
      contacted the people at St. Maximillian Kolbe. Did you go there
      personally and speak with someone?

      I'll have to look into the holdings of the Carnegie Library as well.
      I have been there in the past, but since they put a park where the
      parking lot used to be, I find parking to be a bit annoying.
      Thanks for your advice.
      Barbara

      > Barbara,
      >
      > I know the place in Munhall you mention very well.  Old Nathan
      Builders & lumber yard is no longer, I think it burned down a number
      of years ago.

      > I believe the The Carnegie Library in Munhall does have some
      historical information on the area but I don't know how or if the
      data has been cataloged.

      > The library has the local newspaper, The Daily Messenger, from the
      1880s on microfilm.  The microfilm can be viewed on machines located
      at the library.  I have found this resource very helpful in learning
      about the past history of the area.

      > Information about the library can be accessed at
      www.homesteadlibrary.org  The library is located at 510 East 10Th
      Avenue in Munhall, PA 15120 and can be contacted at  412.262.3444

      > There is the Slovak Museum and Archives at Jednota Estates in
      Middletown, Pa but unfortunately they were not able to provide any
      useful information concerning my requests. Dr, Anthony Sutherland is
      the Curator/Archivist and can be contacted at Rosedale Avenue and
      Jednota Lane, Middletown, PA 17057.

      > Another resource for genealogy data is the Archives and Records
      Center of the Diocese of Pittsburgh.  This archives contains most
      baptismal, confirmation, first communion, marriage & death records
      over 70 years old from parishes in the Diocese of Pittsburgh. This
      office was able to provide a baptismal and death record for a young
      relative  I nor any current  relative knew about,

      > The Archives and Records Center of the Diocese of Pittsburgh is
      located at Synod Hall, 125 N. Craig Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213.

      > Although this Archives does not have cemetery records, the folks at
      St. Maximilian Parish office provided dates and precise locations of
      relative graves who were members of St. Michael's Parish and buried
      in St. Michael's cemetery.  A visit to the cemetery and information
      on the gravestones provided confirming and additional data for the
      family history database,

      > U.S. Census data for 1900, 1910, 1920 & 1930 indexed and available
      at the Carnegie Library in Oakland, PA  was also very useful in my
      research.

      > I hope this helps.
      >
      > Gil

      PA
      > from the get go, and remained that way, until it became St.
      > Maximillian Kolbe, much to the dismay of my grandma.
      >
      > I was wondering if any records exist in that area regarding Slovak
      > groups or organizations? Jednota, or something similar? Slovak
      > Catholic Church organizations? Yearbooks, memberships, etc? Does
      > anyone know if such information exists somewhere?
      >
      > Does anyone know if the Carnegie Library branch in Munhall holds
      > genealogy information pertaining to Munhall?
      >
      > Thanks so much!!
      > Barbara
      >
      > > Hello Barbara,
      > >
      > > I was born and raised in Munhall.  My paternal grandparents
      settled
      > in Homestead in 1902 and my maternal grandparents relocated to
      > Munhall in 1914 from Walston, PA.   They were members of St.
      > Michael's RC Church.
      > >
      > > I don't recognize the names you noted but I still have family in
      > the Munhall-Homestead area and will ask them if they know of these
      > folks.
      > >
      > > I visit the Munhall-Homestead area quite often; please let me
      know
      > if there is anything I can do for you during my visits.
      > >
      > > I also welcome you to the group.
      > >
      > > Gil K.

      Jewish
      > > people to convert to Catholicism? His surname is Mrenna,
      although,
      > > in Slovakia, it was spelled Mrena.
      > >
      > > The Hanchak/Stofan couple immigrated to Munhall, PA and were
      > members
      > > of St. Michael the Archangel Roman Catholic Church.
      > > Anna Varsanyik married a Bulgarian and lived in West Homestead,
      PA.
      > > She ran a boarding house.
      > >
      > > Mrenna/Takac married in Turtle Creek, and lived in the East
      > > Pittsburgh area.
      > >
      > > The surnames that I have compiled information on are: Hrinda,
      > > Varsanyik/Lackzo, Stofan, Stoffa, Vejak, Hruska, Handzak,
      Csopnyak,
      > > Takac, Tais, Votodian, Mrena.
      > > I continue to look for information regarding Mrenna/Mrena,
      Takacs,
      > > Funcik, Stoffa and Stofan, Hancsak.
      > >
      > > I think I've covered the basic information here.
      > > Thanks so much for letting me participate in this group.
      > > Barbara

    • John Vamos
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 19 7:41 PM
        Barbara,

        Something that the Munhall Library has that may be of interest to you is a set of the Homestead Directories. They cover the period from about 1890 up to about 1945, and contain names, addresses and, in some instances, occupation and employer of residents of Munhall, Homestead, Whitaker Boro, and Mifflin Township (Homeville - now West Mifflin Boro).

        The Daily Messengers were somewhat of a disappointment for me. I was hoping that I would find some info concerning marraige announcements, obituaries etc.. I viewed a few years around 1910 and found little mention of eastern european surnames period. I got the impression that in that era they were generically handled or dismissed as "foreigners". I don't know if Oakland has the Messenger microfilms.

        My wife's family lived on Ravine St. up until the 1930s. The surname is Skarupa. She and I graduated from Munhall High School. Surnames that I have been investigating are Vamos, Sabol, Gustashaw (Kostychak), Toth and Skarupa - all from the Munhall, West Mifflin and Duquesne area.

        John Vamos

      • conserg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 19 8:02 PM
          John and Barbara

          I too have family in that area.? However I am looking for the Braddock Free Press.? My relatives were from Rankin an Swissvale. Do you have any knowledge of where the Braddock Free Press could be found.

          I understand that the current owner of the Braddock Free Press merged it with the Homestead Messenger.? He gave copies to the Carnegie Library of Oakland.? However they said they don't have them.

          Jean

          Thanks for the welcome! My mom was born and raised in Munhall as
          well. She grew up on the corner of Ravine Street and East Eighth
          Avenue, across from the Old Nathan Builders.

          Stephen Hanchak set up residence down the road on Ravine Street,
          sometime after he immigrated. He is shown owning the house at 1018
          Ravine St. in 1920. His son, John, my grandfather, bought that house
          on the corner, and they actually shared it with another family for
          many years. The fine touch wood working on the inside was done by my
          grandfather, who, along with his brother, Paul, had outstanding
          woodcrafting abilities.

          I appreciate you asking about the photos. It's sad having these great
          pieces of history, and no clue as to who is in them.
          The Hanchak family were members of St. Michael's Church in Munhall PA
          from the get go, and remained that way, until it became St.
          Maximillian Kolbe, much to the dismay of my grandma.

          I was wondering if any records exist in that area regarding Slovak
          groups or organizations? Jednota, or something similar? Slovak
          Catholic Church organizations? Yearbooks, memberships, etc? Does
          anyone know if such information exists somewhere?

          Does anyone know if the Carnegie Library branch in Munhall holds
          genealogy information pertaining to Munhall?

          Thanks so much!!
          Barbara

          > Hello Barbara,
          >
          > I was born and raised in Munhall. My paternal grandparents settled
          in Homestead in 1902 and my maternal grandparents relocated to
          Munhall in 1914 from Walston, PA. They were members of St.
          Michael's RC Church.

          > I don't recognize the names you noted but I still have family in
          the Munhall-Homestead area and will ask them if they know of these
          folks.

          > I visit the Munhall-Homestead area quite often; please let me know
          if there is anything I can do for you during my visits.

          > I also welcome you to the group.
          >
          > Gil K.

        • John Vamos
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 20 7:05 AM
            Jean,

            I don't know if the Braddock Free Press papers reside at the Munhall library (actually it is called the Carnegie Library of Homestead these days according to the director's business card), however you might want to contact Tyrone Ward, Library Director, at 412-462-3444 or wardt@.... Mr. Ward has been very helpful.

            I have not been to the McKeesport Carnegie Library, but I have heard that they may have some materials pertaining to McKeesport, Duquesne and some of the other Steel Valley towns. A contact there is Jo Ellen Kenney, 412-672-0627.

            John Vamos

          • conserg@aol.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 20 7:51 AM
              John - Thank you.I too went to Munhall High so I am very familiar with the area.Also my sister-in-law is a Slinchak who lived near Ravine Street but was unable to help.

            • Gil Kubancsek
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 20 10:04 PM
                John & Barbara,

                Thanks for the reminder on the Homestead Directories, I had forgotten about them. I did find several relatives in the directories but some of the data was in conflict with census reports and other family history documents.

                I was particularly interested in the Daily Messenger for the years 1902 to 1925 looking for births, marriages and deaths.  Although the information was not well organized like the media reports of today I was able to find the information I  was seeking spread throughout the paper.   As I recall the marriages were primarily in the society news section, births were reported in local news and deaths appeared to be listed in the classified section.

                Maybe I was just lucky to have found the information I was seeking during my review.

                My wife and I also graduated from Munhall High School.  I was a graduate in the Class of 1952.

                I had two friends who lived on Ravine Street, Joe Dhotar and Stan Leskanic. I don't recognize any of the surnames you are researching.

                Do you folks live in the Munhall-Homestead area?  I live in North Huntingdon PA, several miles from the Irwin exit of the PA Turnpike.

                Gil K.

                Thanks for the welcome! My mom was born and raised in Munhall as
                well. She grew up on the corner of Ravine Street and East Eighth
                Avenue, across from the Old Nathan Builders.

                Stephen Hanchak set up residence down the road on Ravine Street,
                sometime after he immigrated. He is shown owning the house at 1018
                Ravine St. in 1920. His son, John, my grandfather, bought that house
                on the corner, and they actually shared it with another family for
                many years. The fine touch wood working on the inside was done by my
                grandfather, who, along with his brother, Paul, had outstanding
                woodcrafting abilities.

                I appreciate you asking about the photos. It's sad having these great
                pieces of history, and no clue as to who is in them.
                The Hanchak family were members of St. Michael's Church in Munhall PA
                from the get go, and remained that way, until it became St.
                Maximillian Kolbe, much to the dismay of my grandma.

                I was wondering if any records exist in that area regarding Slovak
                groups or organizations? Jednota, or something similar? Slovak
                Catholic Church organizations? Yearbooks, memberships, etc? Does
                anyone know if such information exists somewhere?

                Does anyone know if the Carnegie Library branch in Munhall holds
                genealogy information pertaining to Munhall?

                Thanks so much!!
                Barbara

                > Hello Barbara,
                >
                > I was born and raised in Munhall. My paternal grandparents settled
                in Homestead in 1902 and my maternal grandparents relocated to
                Munhall in 1914 from Walston, PA. They were members of St.
                Michael's RC Church.

                > I don't recognize the names you noted but I still have family in
                the Munhall-Homestead area and will ask them if they know of these
                folks.

                > I visit the Munhall-Homestead area quite often; please let me know
                if there is anything I can do for you during my visits.

                > I also welcome you to the group.
                >
                > Gil K.

              • John Vamos
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 21 8:27 AM
                  Gil,

                  I live in the Maryland suburbs of DC. My wife and I are 1960 MHS graduates. We still have some family living in Munhall and West Mifflin.

                  John V

                  Thanks for the welcome! My mom was born and raised in Munhall as
                  well. She grew up on the corner of Ravine Street and East Eighth
                  Avenue, across from the Old Nathan Builders.

                  Stephen Hanchak set up residence down the road on Ravine Street,
                  sometime after he immigrated. He is shown owning the house at 1018
                  Ravine St. in 1920. His son, John, my grandfather, bought that house
                  on the corner, and they actually shared it with another family for
                  many years. The fine touch wood working on the inside was done by my
                  grandfather, who, along with his brother, Paul, had outstanding
                  woodcrafting abilities.

                  I appreciate you asking about the photos. It's sad having these great
                  pieces of history, and no clue as to who is in them.
                  The Hanchak family were members of St. Michael's Church in Munhall PA
                  from the get go, and remained that way, until it became St.
                  Maximillian Kolbe, much to the dismay of my grandma.

                  I was wondering if any records exist in that area regarding Slovak
                  groups or organizations? Jednota, or something similar? Slovak
                  Catholic Church organizations? Yearbooks, memberships, etc? Does
                  anyone know if such information exists somewhere?

                  Does anyone know if the Carnegie Library branch in Munhall holds
                  genealogy information pertaining to Munhall?

                  Thanks so much!!
                  Barbara

                  > Hello Barbara,
                  >
                  > I was born and raised in Munhall. My paternal grandparents settled
                  in Homestead in 1902 and my maternal grandparents relocated to
                  Munhall in 1914 from Walston, PA. They were members of St.
                  Michael's RC Church.

                  > I don't recognize the names you noted but I still have family in
                  the Munhall-Homestead area and will ask them if they know of these
                  folks.

                  > I visit the Munhall-Homestead area quite often; please let me know
                  if there is anything I can do for you during my visits.

                  > I also welcome you to the group.
                  >
                  > Gil K.

                • Marilyn Hertenstein
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 23, 2010
                    Barbara,
                    I am interested in your findings for Varsanyik. My ancestors from Slovakia
                    were VARSA. Any chance the two names came from the same family? I found
                    them all in Teplicska near Spisska Nova Ves.

                    Marilyn Hertenstein

                    Welcome to the group Barbara. I've been in it a few months now, and, believe
                    me, I'm impressed with many of our EXPERTS. I've truly learned a lot.
                    I am unfamiliar with any of the surnames you mentioned; however I have one
                    observation, regarding your inquiry, about people of Jewish ancestry
                    converting to Roman Catholicism. I knew of a man who was a baptised
                    Catholic, who decided to adopt Judaism, for his own reasons.
                    When we get into the exploration of genealogy, we never know what we are
                    likely to uncover. Tom
[...]

                    Her husband was Stefan Hancsak/Hangyak/Handzak. He was the son of a
[...]

                    LDS films for this particular area. I have been told that there is a

                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 24, 2010
                      Dear Marilyn,
                      My Varsanyik relatives used the alias Laczko (or some variation of that spelling). They lived in Sliepkovce (Szelepka), Dubrovka (Dubroka) and Budkovce (Butka). These towns are just south of Mihalovce in Zemplen Megye. They can be found online at the pilot search site of the Family History Website.
                      My Varsanyik family seems to be rooted in those towns. I found them in the 1869 census, and they are all farmers.
                      There is quite a distance between those two towns. My opinion would be that these are Varsa would not be from the same family line as Varsanyik.
                      Thanks for the message.

                      Barbara

                      - In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Marilyn Hertenstein" <mjhertenstein@...> wrote:

                      > Barbara,
                      > I am interested in your findings for Varsanyik. My ancestors from Slovakia
                      > were VARSA. Any chance the two names came from the same family? I found
                      > them all in Teplicska near Spisska Nova Ves.
                      >
                      > Marilyn Hertenstein

                    • Gary Gaba
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 24, 2010
                        I noticed in Barbara's e-mail that she mentions (regarding her maternal
                        great-grandfather) that "His certificate of arrival number, printed on his
                        naturalization papers, is written.." . This is the first time I've heard of
                        a Certificate of Arrival Number; Is this the number that shows on her
                        Naturalization Petition (AR# 4700902 - bottom left) or would appear on only
                        Naturalization Papers and can anyone please advise as to how I might trace
                        that back to an Ellis Island Manifest? I have a great-aunt that I have been
                        trying to identify as to when she came to the US and we only know her
                        married surname and, if I can relate a Certificate of Arrival Number back to
                        a Manifest, it will resolve a mystery that my brother and I have been trying
                        to solve for 5 years now.

                        FYI: Also, I am tracking the following family names (Arrivals from 1900 -
                        1910) and would appreciate if anyone else has any information on the
                        following..

                        Paternal Side of Family

                        Gaba from Vagujfalu or Nove Mesto

                        Hanacsek from Kocsoce or Trencin

                        Hajdusek from Kocsoce or Trencin

                        Maternal Side of Family

                        Bull (Bul) from Nyitra Sarfo or Radosina

                        Vrba from Radosina

                        Thanks,

                        Gary

                      • CurtB
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 24, 2010
                          Barbara,

                          In case you did not know, Varsanyik is spelled Vars~anik in modern Slovak. There are still Vars~anik that live in Sliepkovce and Michalovce, any relation?

                          Curt B

                        • munchkin@epix.net
                          Message 12 of 30 , May 5
                            I would like to contact genmom4 named Barbara with regards to her Hrinda family ties to Sliepkovce as I just discovered my husband's maternal line from Homestead, Pa came from that village.  I would like to learn more if possible.  Thanks,  Debbie