Re: [S-R] 1995 Slovak Census

  • genmom4
    Message 1 of 48 , Sep 19, 2008
      Dear Ben,
      I don't think we have any documents from Slovakia. Many years ago,
      (~ 15 maybe?) my parents took my grandmother to Slovakia on a tour,
      and my mom did tell me that they met someone in that Sliepkovce area
      who was related. (grandma is no longer with us.) So, I'm presuming
      that the name dropped the "y".
      Since you seem to be quite knowledgable in this subject, perhaps you
      could help me to understand the many spelling of my mom's maiden
      name.
      My great grandfather went by Hanchak in the US, although his brother
      decided to go by Hancsak.
      The birth certificate written by the priest, in Kralovce, has the
      name spelled Hangyak.
      In Kecerovce, the name is Handzak. Now, I ask you, does the "gy" and
      the "dz" sound the same? It just doesn't seem right to me.
      But, I have my gr.grandfather's birth, and his brother's birth (who
      was baptized in Kecerovce)and those are the two different spellings
      by the two different priests.
      I also worked my gr.grandfather's father back to Gonc, with the
      spelling of Handza.
      It certainly is interesting watching the spelling of the name change
      over the years, and the different spelling in the different
      registries. Remember, this man was a shepherd, so I found him in
      numerous registries. Also found an entire line of Handzak's
      southeast of Kosice, who do not seem to be related at all.
      Thanks, in advance, for your help.
      Barbara
      > Hi Barbara,
      > The two Varsaniks are the two ways that the last name appears- and
      since we don't use those diacritical marks- makes it HARD to tell.
      The long I and the short I can only be deciphered in your family
      history by having more evidence. :-) Do you have any
      letters/documents from Slovakia?
      > Ben

    • Nancy Hayes
      Message 48 of 48 , Apr 21, 2010
        I never realized how similar the flags of the Scandinavian countries are,
        including Finland. Thanks for the links!

        Nancy