RE: [S-R] New to Group

  • Marilyn Hertenstein
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 17, 2008
      Barbara,
      I wish you luck in your research and wanted to ask your (and others) opinion
      as to the name Varsanyik. My father's family was VARSA from Teplicska, near
      Spisska Nova Ves. It is possible the Varsa is the male version of
      Varsanyik?

      Marilyn

      _____

      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 17, 2008
        Hello Barbara,

        I was born and raised in Munhall.  My paternal grandparents settled in Homestead in 1902 and my maternal grandparents relocated to Munhall in 1914 from Walston, PA.   They were members of St. Michael's RC Church.

        I don't recognize the names you noted but I still have family in  the Munhall-Homestead area and will ask them if they know of these folks.

        I visit the Munhall-Homestead area quite often; please let me know if there is anything I can do for you during my visits.

        I also welcome you to the group.

        Gil K.

        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 17, 2008
          Hello Marilyn,
          Varsanyik is clearly masculine, otherwise it would end in -ova in this case. Varsa is also masculine, and Varsova is the feminine.
          Varsanyik does not pull up in the 1995 census, nor does Varsanjik (a rather Dutch-looking surname :-D)I tried them for the heck of it....

          Varsanik however does, both spelt Varsaňik and Varšaňík. Varsa and Varša both are still extant.... and these are all masculine.
          Sorry to tell you that the theory doesn't hold.
          Hope this helps....
          Ben

          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 18, 2008
            Dear Gil,
            Thanks for the welcome! My mom was born and raised in Munhall as
            well. She grew up on the corner of Ravine Street and East Eighth
            Avenue, across from the Old Nathan Builders.

            Stephen Hanchak set up residence down the road on Ravine Street,
            sometime after he immigrated. He is shown owning the house at 1018
            Ravine St. in 1920. His son, John, my grandfather, bought that house
            on the corner, and they actually shared it with another family for
            many years. The fine touch wood working on the inside was done by my
            grandfather, who, along with his brother, Paul, had outstanding
            woodcrafting abilities.

            I appreciate you asking about the photos. It's sad having these great
            pieces of history, and no clue as to who is in them.
            The Hanchak family were members of St. Michael's Church in Munhall PA
            from the get go, and remained that way, until it became St.
            Maximillian Kolbe, much to the dismay of my grandma.

            I was wondering if any records exist in that area regarding Slovak
            groups or organizations? Jednota, or something similar? Slovak
            Catholic Church organizations? Yearbooks, memberships, etc? Does
            anyone know if such information exists somewhere?

            Does anyone know if the Carnegie Library branch in Munhall holds
            genealogy information pertaining to Munhall?

            Thanks so much!!
            Barbara

          • Ben Sorensen
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 18, 2008
              I almost forgot, using the dictionary/1995 census records will at least help you�get the extant version of names in Slovakia- and what localities they are in.� HOWEVER- it is only a starting point. The only con to this database is that even if you put it in English, it will give you Slovak results.� It is wonderful if you speak Slovak and have a grammar question (conjugation of "drat" for example) or are trying to find family names like�Holik (with a long i).� It also gives you some locality names and thier development through the ages (with some Hungarian.)� But, if Slovak is a problem, this database can be downright frustrating at times, until you understand the format.

              http://slovnik.juls.savba.sk/

              Have fun you all!
              Ben

              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 18, 2008
                Thanks for your reply Ben. It was a shot in the dark, but I 'had' to ask.
                What 1995 census are you looking at?

                Happy hunting,
                Marilyn

                _____

                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 18, 2008
                  I put that in another post, dear. :-)
                  BUT like I said, it is a gawd-awful database to use without speaking Slovak. It throws grammar, definitions, and census records into one big lump. For example, Kovac is not just a surname, but also a word meaning "smith" or "blacksmith." It all gets thrown into one big entry... grammar, derivatives, surnames.... so NO fun if you don't speak Slovak.

                  However, once you pick up on the format, the database is a great first step.
                  take care
                  Ben

                  > Thanks for your reply Ben. It was a shot in the dark, but I
                  > 'had' to ask.
                  > What 1995 census are you looking at?
                  >
                  > Happy hunting,
                  > Marilyn
                  >
                  > _____

                • Gil Kubancsek
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 19, 2008
                    Barbara,

                    I know the place in Munhall you mention very well.  Old Nathan Builders & lumber yard is no longer, I think it burned down a number of years ago.

                    I believe the The Carnegie Library in Munhall does have some historical information on the area but I don't know how or if the data has been cataloged.

                    The library has the local newspaper, The Daily Messenger, from the 1880s on microfilm.  The microfilm can be viewed on machines located at the library.  I have found this resource very helpful in learning about the past history of the area.

                    Information about the library can be accessed at www.homesteadlibrary.org  The library is located at 510 East 10Th Avenue in Munhall, PA 15120 and can be contacted at  412.262.3444

                    There is the Slovak Museum and Archives at Jednota Estates in Middletown, Pa but unfortunately they were not able to provide any useful information concerning my requests. Dr, Anthony Sutherland is the Curator/Archivist and can be contacted at Rosedale Avenue and Jednota Lane, Middletown, PA 17057.

                    Another resource for genealogy data is the Archives and Records Center of the Diocese of Pittsburgh.  This archives contains most baptismal, confirmation, first communion, marriage & death records over 70 years old from parishes in the Diocese of Pittsburgh. This office was able to provide a baptismal and death record for a young relative  I nor any current  relative knew about,

                    The Archives and Records Center of the Diocese of Pittsburgh is located at Synod Hall, 125 N. Craig Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213.

                    Although this Archives does not have cemetery records, the folks at St. Maximilian Parish office provided dates and precise locations of relative graves who were members of St. Michael's Parish and buried in St. Michael's cemetery.  A visit to the cemetery and information on the gravestones provided confirming and additional data for the family history database,

                    U.S. Census data for 1900, 1910, 1920 & 1930 indexed and available at the Carnegie Library in Oakland, PA  was also very useful in my research.

                    I hope this helps.

                  • genmom4
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 19, 2008
                      Dear Gil,
                      Thanks for the Munhall Carnegie library information. I will have to
                      check that out. Do they alone have the Daily Messenger holdings? Do
                      you know if Oakland has a copy? Did they publish marriages, deaths,
                      etc,? Did the Daily Messenger only cover Munhall news?

                      Are you sure that the Jednota museum is still in Middletown? I live
                      east of that area, and when we last made the trip back to Pittsburgh,
                      there was a Sale sign up right where the Jednota sign sits. I
                      wondered if they moved up to the Danville area.

                      I've worked with the Catholic Diocese in the area. But, I have not
                      contacted the people at St. Maximillian Kolbe. Did you go there
                      personally and speak with someone?

                      I'll have to look into the holdings of the Carnegie Library as well.
                      I have been there in the past, but since they put a park where the
                      parking lot used to be, I find parking to be a bit annoying.
                      Thanks for your advice.
                      Barbara

                    • John Vamos
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 19, 2008
                        Barbara,

                        Something that the Munhall Library has that may be of interest to you is a set of the Homestead Directories. They cover the period from about 1890 up to about 1945, and contain names, addresses and, in some instances, occupation and employer of residents of Munhall, Homestead, Whitaker Boro, and Mifflin Township (Homeville - now West Mifflin Boro).

                        The Daily Messengers were somewhat of a disappointment for me. I was hoping that I would find some info concerning marraige announcements, obituaries etc.. I viewed a few years around 1910 and found little mention of eastern european surnames period. I got the impression that in that era they were generically handled or dismissed as "foreigners". I don't know if Oakland has the Messenger microfilms.

                        My wife's family lived on Ravine St. up until the 1930s. The surname is Skarupa. She and I graduated from Munhall High School. Surnames that I have been investigating are Vamos, Sabol, Gustashaw (Kostychak), Toth and Skarupa - all from the Munhall, West Mifflin and Duquesne area.

                        John Vamos

                      • conserg@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 19, 2008
                          John and Barbara

                          I too have family in that area.? However I am looking for the Braddock Free Press.? My relatives were from Rankin an Swissvale. Do you have any knowledge of where the Braddock Free Press could be found.

                          I understand that the current owner of the Braddock Free Press merged it with the Homestead Messenger.? He gave copies to the Carnegie Library of Oakland.? However they said they don't have them.

                          Jean

                          Thanks for the welcome! My mom was born and raised in Munhall as
                          well. She grew up on the corner of Ravine Street and East Eighth
                          Avenue, across from the Old Nathan Builders.

                          Stephen Hanchak set up residence down the road on Ravine Street,
                          sometime after he immigrated. He is shown owning the house at 1018
                          Ravine St. in 1920. His son, John, my grandfather, bought that house
                          on the corner, and they actually shared it with another family for
                          many years. The fine touch wood working on the inside was done by my
                          grandfather, who, along with his brother, Paul, had outstanding
                          woodcrafting abilities.

                          I appreciate you asking about the photos. It's sad having these great
                          pieces of history, and no clue as to who is in them.
                          The Hanchak family were members of St. Michael's Church in Munhall PA
                          from the get go, and remained that way, until it became St.
                          Maximillian Kolbe, much to the dismay of my grandma.

                          I was wondering if any records exist in that area regarding Slovak
                          groups or organizations? Jednota, or something similar? Slovak
                          Catholic Church organizations? Yearbooks, memberships, etc? Does
                          anyone know if such information exists somewhere?

                          Does anyone know if the Carnegie Library branch in Munhall holds
                          genealogy information pertaining to Munhall?

                          Thanks so much!!
                          Barbara

                          > Hello Barbara,
                          >
                          > I was born and raised in Munhall. My paternal grandparents settled
                          in Homestead in 1902 and my maternal grandparents relocated to
                          Munhall in 1914 from Walston, PA. They were members of St.
                          Michael's RC Church.

                          > I don't recognize the names you noted but I still have family in
                          the Munhall-Homestead area and will ask them if they know of these
                          folks.

                          > I visit the Munhall-Homestead area quite often; please let me know
                          if there is anything I can do for you during my visits.

                          > I also welcome you to the group.
                          >
                          > Gil K.

                        • John Vamos
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 20, 2008
                            Jean,

                            I don't know if the Braddock Free Press papers reside at the Munhall library (actually it is called the Carnegie Library of Homestead these days according to the director's business card), however you might want to contact Tyrone Ward, Library Director, at 412-462-3444 or wardt@.... Mr. Ward has been very helpful.

                            I have not been to the McKeesport Carnegie Library, but I have heard that they may have some materials pertaining to McKeesport, Duquesne and some of the other Steel Valley towns. A contact there is Jo Ellen Kenney, 412-672-0627.

                            John Vamos

                          • conserg@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 20, 2008
                              John - Thank you.I too went to Munhall High so I am very familiar with the area.Also my sister-in-law is a Slinchak who lived near Ravine Street but was unable to help.

                            • Gil Kubancsek
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 20, 2008
                                John & Barbara,

                                Thanks for the reminder on the Homestead Directories, I had forgotten about them. I did find several relatives in the directories but some of the data was in conflict with census reports and other family history documents.

                                I was particularly interested in the Daily Messenger for the years 1902 to 1925 looking for births, marriages and deaths.  Although the information was not well organized like the media reports of today I was able to find the information I  was seeking spread throughout the paper.   As I recall the marriages were primarily in the society news section, births were reported in local news and deaths appeared to be listed in the classified section.

                                Maybe I was just lucky to have found the information I was seeking during my review.

                                My wife and I also graduated from Munhall High School.  I was a graduate in the Class of 1952.

                                I had two friends who lived on Ravine Street, Joe Dhotar and Stan Leskanic. I don't recognize any of the surnames you are researching.

                                Do you folks live in the Munhall-Homestead area?  I live in North Huntingdon PA, several miles from the Irwin exit of the PA Turnpike.

                                Gil K.

                                Thanks for the welcome! My mom was born and raised in Munhall as
                                well. She grew up on the corner of Ravine Street and East Eighth
                                Avenue, across from the Old Nathan Builders.

                                Stephen Hanchak set up residence down the road on Ravine Street,
                                sometime after he immigrated. He is shown owning the house at 1018
                                Ravine St. in 1920. His son, John, my grandfather, bought that house
                                on the corner, and they actually shared it with another family for
                                many years. The fine touch wood working on the inside was done by my
                                grandfather, who, along with his brother, Paul, had outstanding
                                woodcrafting abilities.

                                I appreciate you asking about the photos. It's sad having these great
                                pieces of history, and no clue as to who is in them.
                                The Hanchak family were members of St. Michael's Church in Munhall PA
                                from the get go, and remained that way, until it became St.
                                Maximillian Kolbe, much to the dismay of my grandma.

                                I was wondering if any records exist in that area regarding Slovak
                                groups or organizations? Jednota, or something similar? Slovak
                                Catholic Church organizations? Yearbooks, memberships, etc? Does
                                anyone know if such information exists somewhere?

                                Does anyone know if the Carnegie Library branch in Munhall holds
                                genealogy information pertaining to Munhall?

                                Thanks so much!!
                                Barbara

                                > Hello Barbara,
                                >
                                > I was born and raised in Munhall. My paternal grandparents settled
                                in Homestead in 1902 and my maternal grandparents relocated to
                                Munhall in 1914 from Walston, PA. They were members of St.
                                Michael's RC Church.

                                > I don't recognize the names you noted but I still have family in
                                the Munhall-Homestead area and will ask them if they know of these
                                folks.

                                > I visit the Munhall-Homestead area quite often; please let me know
                                if there is anything I can do for you during my visits.

                                > I also welcome you to the group.
                                >
                                > Gil K.

                              • John Vamos
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 21, 2008
                                  Gil,

                                  I live in the Maryland suburbs of DC. My wife and I are 1960 MHS graduates. We still have some family living in Munhall and West Mifflin.

                                  John V

                                  Thanks for the welcome! My mom was born and raised in Munhall as
                                  well. She grew up on the corner of Ravine Street and East Eighth
                                  Avenue, across from the Old Nathan Builders.

                                  Stephen Hanchak set up residence down the road on Ravine Street,
                                  sometime after he immigrated. He is shown owning the house at 1018
                                  Ravine St. in 1920. His son, John, my grandfather, bought that house
                                  on the corner, and they actually shared it with another family for
                                  many years. The fine touch wood working on the inside was done by my
                                  grandfather, who, along with his brother, Paul, had outstanding
                                  woodcrafting abilities.

                                  I appreciate you asking about the photos. It's sad having these great
                                  pieces of history, and no clue as to who is in them.
                                  The Hanchak family were members of St. Michael's Church in Munhall PA
                                  from the get go, and remained that way, until it became St.
                                  Maximillian Kolbe, much to the dismay of my grandma.

                                  I was wondering if any records exist in that area regarding Slovak
                                  groups or organizations? Jednota, or something similar? Slovak
                                  Catholic Church organizations? Yearbooks, memberships, etc? Does
                                  anyone know if such information exists somewhere?

                                  Does anyone know if the Carnegie Library branch in Munhall holds
                                  genealogy information pertaining to Munhall?

                                  Thanks so much!!
                                  Barbara

                                  > Hello Barbara,
                                  >
                                  > I was born and raised in Munhall. My paternal grandparents settled
                                  in Homestead in 1902 and my maternal grandparents relocated to
                                  Munhall in 1914 from Walston, PA. They were members of St.
                                  Michael's RC Church.

                                  > I don't recognize the names you noted but I still have family in
                                  the Munhall-Homestead area and will ask them if they know of these
                                  folks.

                                  > I visit the Munhall-Homestead area quite often; please let me know
                                  if there is anything I can do for you during my visits.

                                  > I also welcome you to the group.
                                  >
                                  > Gil K.

                                • Marilyn Hertenstein
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 23, 2010
                                    Barbara,
                                    I am interested in your findings for Varsanyik. My ancestors from Slovakia
                                    were VARSA. Any chance the two names came from the same family? I found
                                    them all in Teplicska near Spisska Nova Ves.

                                    Marilyn Hertenstein

                                    Welcome to the group Barbara. I've been in it a few months now, and, believe
                                    me, I'm impressed with many of our EXPERTS. I've truly learned a lot.
                                    I am unfamiliar with any of the surnames you mentioned; however I have one
                                    observation, regarding your inquiry, about people of Jewish ancestry
                                    converting to Roman Catholicism. I knew of a man who was a baptised
                                    Catholic, who decided to adopt Judaism, for his own reasons.
                                    When we get into the exploration of genealogy, we never know what we are
                                    likely to uncover. Tom

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Feb 24, 2010
                                      Dear Marilyn,
                                      My Varsanyik relatives used the alias Laczko (or some variation of that spelling). They lived in Sliepkovce (Szelepka), Dubrovka (Dubroka) and Budkovce (Butka). These towns are just south of Mihalovce in Zemplen Megye. They can be found online at the pilot search site of the Family History Website.
                                      My Varsanyik family seems to be rooted in those towns. I found them in the 1869 census, and they are all farmers.
                                      There is quite a distance between those two towns. My opinion would be that these are Varsa would not be from the same family line as Varsanyik.
                                      Thanks for the message.

                                      Barbara

                                      - In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Marilyn Hertenstein" <mjhertenstein@...> wrote:

                                      > Barbara,
                                      > I am interested in your findings for Varsanyik. My ancestors from Slovakia
                                      > were VARSA. Any chance the two names came from the same family? I found
                                      > them all in Teplicska near Spisska Nova Ves.
                                      >
                                      > Marilyn Hertenstein

                                    • Gary Gaba
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Feb 24, 2010
                                        I noticed in Barbara's e-mail that she mentions (regarding her maternal
                                        great-grandfather) that "His certificate of arrival number, printed on his
                                        naturalization papers, is written.." . This is the first time I've heard of
                                        a Certificate of Arrival Number; Is this the number that shows on her
                                        Naturalization Petition (AR# 4700902 - bottom left) or would appear on only
                                        Naturalization Papers and can anyone please advise as to how I might trace
                                        that back to an Ellis Island Manifest? I have a great-aunt that I have been
                                        trying to identify as to when she came to the US and we only know her
                                        married surname and, if I can relate a Certificate of Arrival Number back to
                                        a Manifest, it will resolve a mystery that my brother and I have been trying
                                        to solve for 5 years now.

                                        FYI: Also, I am tracking the following family names (Arrivals from 1900 -
                                        1910) and would appreciate if anyone else has any information on the
                                        following..

                                        Paternal Side of Family

                                        Gaba from Vagujfalu or Nove Mesto

                                        Hanacsek from Kocsoce or Trencin

                                        Hajdusek from Kocsoce or Trencin

                                        Maternal Side of Family

                                        Bull (Bul) from Nyitra Sarfo or Radosina

                                        Vrba from Radosina

                                        Thanks,

                                        Gary

                                      • CurtB
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Feb 24, 2010
                                          Barbara,

                                          In case you did not know, Varsanyik is spelled Vars~anik in modern Slovak. There are still Vars~anik that live in Sliepkovce and Michalovce, any relation?

                                          Curt B