Re: [S-R] DNA in Research

  • gklodzen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 13 8:27 AM
      Bruce, I have used the 36 marker DNA test. To date no others of the surname
      in question, KLADZAN (now spelled KLODZEN) have surfaced as a match. Very
      likely it's because they have yet to submit a sample.

      But on the other hand I have discovered several others of different
      surnames, all from Eastern Europe, some from Slovakia, with whom it appears I have a
      high probability of sharing a common ancestor perhaps eight to twelve or more
      generations ago. Fascinating science, is it not? Only a few years ago who
      would have thought it possible to establish such early ancestry connections.
      Makes one realize how connected many of us really are.

      Now if I can only find a KLADZAN match out there....

      Best regards,
      Gene

      In message dated 8/8/2008 12:07:04 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      bbauer@... writes:

      I have used a 25 marker DNA test to verify some possible linkages. I
      have done extensive record search genealogy for the Strank/Strenk
      family from Jarabina. This is a Russyn village so people of the same
      name could be related (unlike some in Western Slovakia). I had
      established, using Greek Catholic records, that there were several lines
      from Stranks living in this country going back to several individuals
      living in Jarabina in the late 1700's where the written records end.
      In this case I used a male in each line to test if they were all
      related, even though I could not prove it with paper records. The tests
      were positive and indicated a common ancestor just beyond where the
      records end . (Don't gaps always occur when the story is just getting
      good.)

      Bruce