FHL Digital Indexing Project to begin - Presov region is first!

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2008
      The FHL (Family History Library) informs me that they have been busy
      digitizing microfilms (converting microfilms into files that are
      computer-readable) from the PRESOV region. In a few short weeks, they
      will be make those files available for general researchers (like you
      and me) to participate in the indexing of these records.

      Indexing involves reading the image (from the convenience of your home
      or office computer) via the internet, and transcribing the data -
      events, names, dates into a typewritten form. Once that data is
      entered, the FHL will use it to create search-able indexes for
      surnames, village names and other critical elements.

      This is very exciting since it brings us much closer to the goal of
      having the microfilm images available to us via the internet. This
      "next generation" project is happening much faster than I imagined and
      I am delighted to see it's progress.

      If you want to get a feel for what the indexing project is like, or to
      sign up now, go here http://www.familysearchindexing.org You will see
      the many projects already underway, you can also register now and
      download the necessary software.
    • L. LEPORIS
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2008
        This is VERY exciting for me!! Presov seems to have been working on this for a while already since they have a teaser available on the web now. Found one of my own ancestors there already.  http://www.civil.gov.sk/ARCH/nove/Ipres_i.htm

        Ludovit

      • Tom Geiss
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 2008
          Ludovit,
          I was able to get on that link when I '"clicked on " it, but when I went to google , and typed it out I was unsuccessful. Why?
          The reason I tried is because I want to send that link to a friend in Slovakia, who would have no trouble deciphering the Slovak in the Archives.

          I would forward it to her, but, as you know, we can't forward messages from the group.
          Tom

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2008
            There are country-specific google versions. Try www.google.sk.

            I do not understand why you don't believe you can forward Slovak-world
            emails. I do it all the time.

            Bill

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 8, 2008
              If it makes any difference at all please feel free to forward my
              original message with the link in it. To me it's too good not to
              share. Please red card me if I'm out of line. I must say I started
              searching there on a slight lead/whim after reading about the history
              of the church there. Most of my family still in Slovakia was a little
              surprised to find Samuel there. Please pass it on.

              Ludovit

              ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
              > Behalf Of Tom Geiss
              > Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2008 12:18 PM
              > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [S-R] Re:FHL Digital Indexing Project to begin -
              Presov region
              > is first!
              >
              > Ludovit,
              > I was able to get on that link when I '"clicked on " it,
              but when I
              > went to google , and typed it out I was unsuccessful. Why?
              > The reason I tried is because I want to send that link to a
              friend in
              > Slovakia, who would have no trouble deciphering the Slovak in the
              Archives.

              > I would forward it to her, but, as you know, we can't forward
              messages
              > from the group.
              > Tom

            • Ben Sorensen
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 9, 2008
                Well, this is a good list of what they have in the archives, but it isn't surprising.  These archives that were in that link are run by the national government- the Section of Public Information.  However, all that information is located in Bratislava and they give you the hours of operation at the top. :-) Probably could call the phonenumber at the top also and ask if they can run some copies for you.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com, "Bill Tarkulich"