Translating Hungarian words

  • Ruth Woods
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 24, 2008
      Hi,
      I am another new member who has been reading the interesting
      postings. Now I am ready to ask for some help. I have obtained
      church records from the LDS library for the Michalovce area of
      Slovakia. I understand some Slovak, but these records are in Hungarian
      and obviously I don't understand what I'm looking at. Can you help me
      find a listing of the Hungarian words for: church, church records,
      documents, baptism, marriage, marriage records, death, death records,
      place of birth, place of death, cause of death, name, parents, mother,
      father, godparents, witness? Is there a website or can anyone give me
      a translation for the words I need? Thanks for all the help you give
      everyone. Ruth
    • david1law@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 24, 2008
        Hello Ruth:

        I often the MTZ SZTAKI Hungarian English Online Dictionary:

        _http://dict.sztaki.hu/english-hungarian_
        (http://dict.sztaki.hu/english-hungarian)

        Bill Tarkulich's Eastern Genealogical Research Strategies website at
        _www.iabsi.com_ (http://www.iabsi.com) also has various links to Hungarian English
        translations as well as some translations right on his website. I highly
        recommend his great website.

        Best regards,

        David

        deal here.

      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 24, 2008
          >>> Is there a website or can anyone give me a translation for the
          words I need? <<<

          TRANSLATION OF HEADERS IN CHURCH RECORDS
          Go to http://www.bmi.net/~latin/ for help with church record
          translations.
        • Ruth Woods
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 25, 2008
            Thank you - this is an excellent resource. Ruth

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 25, 2008
              Thank you David for the suggestions. I'm glad this group exists.  Searching for the information on my own would have taken so much time........Ruth

              I often the MTZ SZTAKI Hungarian English Online Dictionary:

              _http://dict. sztaki.hu/ english-hungaria n_
              (http://dict. sztaki.hu/ english-hungaria n)

              Bill Tarkulich's Eastern Genealogical Research Strategies website at
              _www.iabsi.com_ (http://www.iabsi. com) also has various links to Hungarian English
              translations as well as some translations right on his website. I highly
              recommend his great website.

              Best regards,

              David

              ************ **It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel