Re: Twin Church Spires

  • charles tintera
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 22, 2008
      "your picture was taken slightly east of where the EL line crosses 17 St.
      Most likely at the corner of Paulina St.
      and 17 th street"

      I tried to match the picture I have to that location - "corner of Paulina
      St. and 17 th street" and the perspective (as Google Maps/Street view
      shows) seems to match better from a location just to the right (south ) of
      where the El crosses 17th Street.

      Looking at the entire picture it seems to me the location is a back porch or
      steps of a building in the area of the north-east corner of W 17th St and
      Paulina St.

      "St. Adalbert does not have a limestone facade. It is a buff colored face
      brick with terra cotta trim. It has been cleaned since your old photo was
      taken. At that time many buildings were quite black with coal smoke. Chicago
      no longer burns coal for either industrial or heating purposes. The south
      side EL has been in operation since the 1890's though particular street
      crossings may have changed."

      Well that agrees with what I see in the picture! I'' try the "Yelp site"

      Thanks!

      cvt