Twin Church Spires

  • charlestintera
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 19, 2008
      I have a picture of my Grandparents that was taken somewhere in either
      west Chicago or Cicero (Illinois) in the late 40's. I'm trying to
      find out the location. In the background there is a church with twin
      spires. I thought it might have been Mary Queen of Heaven but that
      doesn't appear to be it (single spire).

      A crop of the the picture is in the album under my name as "Twin
      Church Spires.jpg"

      Can anyone help identify the location?

      cvt
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 19, 2008

        Charles,

        To me it looks a bit like St. Stanislaus Kostka Church; however, I found a neat site you might search have some luck/fun with:

        http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/ndlpcoop/ichihtml/cdnhome.html

        search for church -- there are lots of photos of churches -- then you can Google/Imagesearch  the ones you think are close and get more photos to compare them to.

        Caye

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 20, 2008
          Charles,
          This is similar, but it is not St. Stanislaus Kostka church. St. Stans
          did have two towers, but the south tower was destroyed by lightning in
          1964 and never rebuilt. I am sure this is St. Adalbert Church in the
          Pilsen neighborhood where many Czechs and Slovaks lived. Many people
          from here moved to the suburb of Cicero later. The church is still
          there at 1656 West 17 St. in Chicago serving primarily a Polish and
          Mexican community. It was built by Chicago Poles in 1912-1914 but
          largely attended by Czechs and Slovaks. It is one of Chicago's most
          impressive churches. The high altar and surround is formed of 35 tons
          of hand carved Carrara marble. It has original Zettler stained glass
          windows imported from Bavaria. Its architect was Henry J. Schlacks, a
          Chicago architect known for his monumental area churches. You will
          also find an article about the church in Wikipedia.,

          Curt Bochanyin

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "charlestintera" <ctintera@...>
          wrote:

          > I have a picture of my Grandparents that was taken somewhere in either
          > west Chicago or Cicero (Illinois) in the late 40's. I'm trying to
          > find out the location. In the background there is a church with twin
          > spires. I thought it might have been Mary Queen of Heaven but that
          > doesn't appear to be it (single spire).
          >
          > A crop of the the picture is in the album under my name as "Twin
          > Church Spires.jpg"
          >
          > Can anyone help identify the location?
          >

          > cvt

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 20, 2008

            Curt, I think you might be right -- I found a photo on Flickr

            http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/16/20358514_167645d300.jpg%3Fv%3D0&imgrefurl=http://flickr.com/photos/chicagoeye/20358514/&h=375&w=500&sz=43&hl=en&start=12&um=1&tbnid=OX9itgqW7c29gM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522st.%2Badalbert%2522%2Bchicago%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

            You can still see the telephone wires -- let me see if St. Adalbert has a website with more history .... please hold while I Google ...

            http://www.pgsa.org/ArchChiPolPar/StAdalbertChi.htm

            that one mentions other polish churches in the area you can research as well.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Adalbert's_in_Chicago

            more photos of the spires here:

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Adalbert's_in_Chicago

            Fun project, thanks Charles for asking your question and sharing your photo.

            Caye

            wrote:

            > I have a picture of my Grandparents that was taken somewhere in either
            > west Chicago or Cicero (Illinois) in the late 40's. I'm trying to
            > find out the location. In the background there is a church with twin
            > spires. I thought it might have been Mary Queen of Heaven but that
            > doesn't appear to be it (single spire).
            >
            > A crop of the the picture is in the album under my name as "Twin
            > Church Spires.jpg"
            >
            > Can anyone help identify the location?
            >

            > cvt

          • charles tintera
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 21, 2008
              Hmm – St Adalbert on Google maps shows a “Limestone” façade. I’m not sure
              that matches the picture 100%. On the other hand if I ‘”walk” the Street
              View Point Of View west on 17th Street to about where the El crosses today
              the perspective matches fairly well. That may have been the location, wonder
              when the El came thru? & what was there before it?

              Demo & remove a building, even for a “Public Works Project” (then the El,
              today an Interstate), was much easier then!

              I tried that Wiki URL for more pictures and got nada. Do you need an
              account, appears in the upper right corner, to make it work?

              cvt

            • Curt Bochanyin
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 21, 2008
                Charles,
                St. Adalbert does not have a limestone facade. It is a buff colored
                face brick with terra cotta trim. It has been cleaned since your old
                photo was taken. At that time many buildings were quite black with
                coal smoke. Chicago no longer burns coal for either industrial or
                heating purposes. The south side EL has been in operation since the
                1890's though particular street crossings may have changed. I don't
                think it has changed at 17th st. however. I didn't find a photo on
                Wikipedia either.

                Curt B.

                wrote:

                > Hmm – St Adalbert on Google maps shows a "Limestone" façade. I'm
                not sure
                > that matches the picture 100%. On the other hand if I `"walk" the
                Street
                > View Point Of View west on 17th Street to about where the El
                crosses today
                > the perspective matches fairly well. That may have been the
                location, wonder
                > when the El came thru? & what was there before it?
                >

                > Demo & remove a building, even for a "Public Works Project" (then
                the El,
                > today an Interstate), was much easier then!
                >

                > I tried that Wiki URL for more pictures and got nada. Do you need
                an
                > account, appears in the upper right corner, to make it work?
                >

                > cvt

              • Curt Bochanyin
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 21, 2008
                  Charles,
                  I showed your photo to an engineering colleague who said based on the
                  height of the towers, your picture was taken slightly east of where
                  the EL line crosses 17 St. Most likely at the corner of Paulina St.
                  and 17 th street.

                  See also the photos at the Yelp web site:

                  http://www.yelp.com/biz/st-adalberts-church-chicago

                  curt b

                  > Hmm – St Adalbert on Google maps shows a "Limestone" façade. I'm
                  not sure
                  > that matches the picture 100%. On the other hand if I `"walk" the
                  Street
                  > View Point Of View west on 17th Street to about where the El
                  crosses today
                  > the perspective matches fairly well. That may have been the
                  location, wonder
                  > when the El came thru? & what was there before it?
                  >

                  > Demo & remove a building, even for a "Public Works Project" (then
                  the El,
                  > today an Interstate), was much easier then!
                  >

                  > I tried that Wiki URL for more pictures and got nada. Do you need
                  an
                  > account, appears in the upper right corner, to make it work?
                  >

                  > cvt

                • sue_groh
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 22, 2008
                    I Googled Images of St. Adalbert's, and found this picture in Chicago:
                    flickr.com/photos/chicagoeye/20358514/ The text with it says "The twin
                    towers of St. Adalbert's, a Roman Catholic Church at 1650 W. 17th
                    Street Chicago's Little Village neighborhood. The church was built in
                    1914 and was designed by architect Henry J. Schlacks, who created tons
                    of high-style, Renaissance insprired churches around town. The church
                    was built for $200,000 (imagine!) and was designed to resemble St.
                    Paul's Bascilia."

                    It's a nice picture.
                  • charles tintera
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 22, 2008
                      "your picture was taken slightly east of where the EL line crosses 17 St.
                      Most likely at the corner of Paulina St.
                      and 17 th street"

                      I tried to match the picture I have to that location - "corner of Paulina
                      St. and 17 th street" and the perspective (as Google Maps/Street view
                      shows) seems to match better from a location just to the right (south ) of
                      where the El crosses 17th Street.

                      Looking at the entire picture it seems to me the location is a back porch or
                      steps of a building in the area of the north-east corner of W 17th St and
                      Paulina St.

                      "St. Adalbert does not have a limestone facade. It is a buff colored face
                      brick with terra cotta trim. It has been cleaned since your old photo was
                      taken. At that time many buildings were quite black with coal smoke. Chicago
                      no longer burns coal for either industrial or heating purposes. The south
                      side EL has been in operation since the 1890's though particular street
                      crossings may have changed."

                      Well that agrees with what I see in the picture! I'' try the "Yelp site"

                      Thanks!

                      cvt