Re: [S-R] Re: Johannes Kostak

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 6, 2008
      I am about 90 percent sure, just from knowing Slovakia, (nuttin scientific...) that Kostak was pronounced Koshtak with a paletized t. The apostrophe referred to here is really a handwritten/now printed makcen softening the consonant, used on tall letters, T gets an apostrophe in the lower case and the "v" in the upper case.  Therefore, the apostrophe may be found also like this in records :Ť.  Consequently, L never gets the "v" and only an apostrophe in printed literature, regardless of case.

      I would expect to find Kostak spelled : Košťak.

      This is just an FYI as the research moves from the US to SK....
      Ben

      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 6, 2008
        Correction: Košťák.

        my bad, sorry.

      • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
          Hello Paul,

          Janet has provided a tremendous amount of help and sorting of facts for
          you. I am going to ask you to take a DEEP BREATH, push the chair back and
          do a little retrospective analysis now. I don't have time to help you with
          your specific search, but I do want to caution you as you proceed.

          First, it seems that your primary research sources are the manifests and
          the tombstones. I would be very hesitant to be building family trees based
          on this information. You need secondary sources. Clearly the church
          records on film will help you do that more confidently.

          Secondly, of critical importance is to get your hands on any documents your
          ancestors themselves may have produced. Otherwise you will be dealing with
          conjecture, implication and dreadful assumptions, all of which must be
          avoided. The most available and important records will be found in your
          immigrant's immigration file. The USCIS has been undergoing significant
          changes in administration of these records since 9/11. It appears we can
          see light at the end of the tunnel, with a new system for requesting these
          records set to go live on August 13th. While it will take months to get
          your paper, it is of critical importance in assuring you are looking at the
          right records. In these files contains your immigrant's testament to their
          birth date, place, immigration date, ship, next of kin and so on. all of
          these facts are super-important clues.
          A shortcut to get to the USCIS announcement is here:
          http://tinyurl.com/6gp6gt
          Examples of what can be found in a immigration file include the Alien
          Registration form
          http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ins_foia_petitions.htm#alien.
          The USCIS took most of this information offline, I spent some time
          reconstructing it on my site but have not completed the effort.
          http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/imm_names.htm#american_names, so the Alien
          Registration form image is missing at the moment.

          So get your request in to the USCIS and then go back to your other
          research. It will be well worth the wait.

          Janet is spot-on about details. Note every single one of them.

          An oft-overlooked strategy is to follow the records of friends, other
          family from the same village when you hit dead ends. Often you will find
          the record, but badly mangled in spelling, unfindable through computer
          serarch engines.

          Lastly, there is no such thing as "correct right" or "right name". Names
          morphed over the centuries, kingdoms, rulers, recordkeepers and manglers,
          both intentional and unintentional. Most of our ancestors were illiterate
          as late as 100 years ago. My grandmother signed a property deed in 1924
          with an "X". How would she know the correct spelling?!!!! Note all names
          and keep careful records. NEVER change names in the family tree to what
          you believe the "correct" name is. Use the name of record. If you don't,
          future researchers will be lost and befuddled with your work, and forced to
          discard it and start over.

          Best of Luck,

          Bill Tarkulich

          On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 04:32:26 -0700 (PDT), Paul Kostyak <kaytsok@...>
          wrote:
          > Hi Janet:
          >
          > First, let me clear that words cannot express my gratitude thus far.
          > Also, I realize you cannot continue to focus on my family to the extent
          > that I would like. So anytime you need to stop, I understand
          > completely.
          >
          > You are able to read these manifests remarkably. At this
          > point, one question for you is that on the 1904 manifiest for Maria
          > Miscovics, my grandmother, do you concur that the entry below Maria on
          the
          > same manifest is her mother, my great-grandmother, Maria Krajniak?
          >
          > As an aside, it is my belief that many, many of the Kostyak's here in the
          > Pennsylvania are are related. (I have just now come to that
          > suspicion.) I need to connect the dots from John/Johannes/Janos born
          > 1878, my grandfather, to the band/sibs of Kostyak's from the 1860's and
          > 1870's. Based on reasonable analysis of the ages, my best guess is
          > that Andres (born 1858) is his father, but there are a couple of other
          > possibilities. Also, there is a second Frank Kostyak from
          > Braddock, PA (he had 8 children. All these years, we didn't think we
          > were related to him, but now I suspect they are all kin to this same
          > band/sibs, so they are likely cousins) who died a few years ago (the
          > first Frank/Francis was my dad who also died 5 years ago). It is my
          > belief that Frank from Braddock (born 1888) was also a son of one of this
          > same band of Kostyaks (Andres/Janos/Pal/Michely/et al)
          >
          > Finally, I see a Janos born1843 immigrated in 1889 on the Breman that I
          > will take a wild guess and say he is the dad of this same band/sibs of
          > Kostyaks.
          >
          > Finally, finally, I see an number of Janos Kostyak's. (born: 1843 (the
          > one I just identified), 1862, (who I think is his son and one of this
          same
          > band/sibs), 1871 (not sure who he is), 1875 (not sure who he is), 1878
          (my
          > grandfather as discussed) and 1886 (probably a child of one of the
          > band/sibs discussed.
          >
          > Do you think I may be on the right track with all of this, or am I way
          > off? Apparently, my family history center is closed the month of
          > August. I'll be meeting with my newly hired genealogist, Elissa
          > Powell here in Pittsburgh, next week.
          >
          > Thanks, Janet. I am determined to get this all right no matter how long
          > it takes and how much it costs.
          >
          > Paul

          Lassupatak
> [...]
          > MapQuest and see how close they are.
          >
          > Roman Catholic church records are available for both places.
          > Lassupatak/Henclofa lva/Ticha Voda (etc.) records are found with the
          > village
          > of Nalepkovo. You might find Maria's family in either place, so you would
          > likely need to order the films from both.
          >
          > Janet
          >
          > _____
          >
          > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS@ yahoogroups.
          > com]
          > On
          > Behalf Of Paul Kostyak
          > Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 3:01 PM
          > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
          > Subject: [S-R] Johannes Kostak
          >
          > Hello everyone: My name is Paul Kostyak from Pittsburgh, PA. I am
          > doing a family tree and I have spend countless hours trying to piece
          > the puzzle together. Can you please help me? After I piece the
          > Kostak puzzle together, I have two other important Hungarian puzzles,
          > but let's start with Kostak.
          >
          > My father was Frank. Born 1923 and died 2003. He had several
          > siblings which I have good information on.
          >
          > Their father was John Kostyak, with no further information. His
          > tombstone reads 1878-1944. This is correct.
          >
          > I found a small receipt of unknown origin (1909 from his marriage
          > license?) which lists his name as Johannes Kostak. No "Y". I
          > believe this to be his true, original name. There are other
          > Kostyak's from the same Szepes region, but I don't think they are
          > related. I think I need to focus on Kostak. I am confident that
          > his name was originally Johannes Kostak, because the spouse listed is
          > absolutely correct. (his spouse, my grandmother, will be the next
          > puzzle I tackle another day. Just fyi, her name was Maria Miscovics
          > from Lassupatak, and her mother was Maria Krajniak and her father was
          > Michael Miscovics)
          >
          > This same obscure receipt lists his father as Casparus Kostak from
          > Sandok Szepes. His mother was listed as Juliana Kostak. I
          > estimate their births to be around 1850, give or take a decade. I
          > don't know her maiden name.
          >
          > For the purpose of clarity, I will refer to Johannes Kostak as John
          > Kostyak from this point forward. In everything John did in his life
          > starting around 1910, he was referred to as John Kostyak, not
          > Johannes Kostak. John's residence was listed as Mt. Lebanon, PA on
          > this obscure receipt. Other minor clues: on his application for
          > marriage, his name appears as John Kostak from Dorman, PA. (There
          > is a small borough called Dormont, PA next to Mt. Lebanon)
          >
          > So, I am looking for any information about Johannes Kostak from
          > Sandok, born in 1878. Also, any information about John's father,
          > Casparus, and John's mother, Juliana.
          >
          > Also, fyi, John was a tailor for Boggs and Buhl in Pittsburgh.
          >
          > My cell phone is 412-445-8780 if anyone needs further clarification.
          >
          > Thank you in advance for any insights you can give me.

        • kozlay
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
            Dear Paul,

            I do not think the entry below Maria's on the 1904 manifest could be her
            mother. The two were both 19 years old, and the second one appears to be
            coming from a different place and having a different destination. Nor do I
            think the name looks like Krajniak. To me it looks more like Jarajnak. The
            transcriber read it as Tarajnak.

            Are you even certain that Maria's mother ever immigrated? There are lots of
            Maria Krajniaks in the Ellis Island records, though I don't see any that
            might qualify age-wise.

            You are probably right that all these Kostyaks are related in some way,
            though you won't know for certain until you look at the Slovak records.
            Since it is likely you will find numerous people in there with the same
            name, it will be important to distinguish carefully between them, working
            out various family groupings based on parentage, siblings, spouses, dates of
            birth, etc. Keep in mind that only birth and marriage records can be used
            to establish the dates of those occurrences. You cannot, for instance,
            depend on stated age at marriage to establish a firm date of birth.

            I warn you that this is not an easy task. You can only hope that the records
            contain all the information you need. For instance, if a marriage record
            does not include the names of the bride and groom's parents, it may be
            difficult to place that marriage correctly in your family tree. The earlier
            you go, the more likely it is that there will be missing information. Also,
            you need to be prepared to find some people with more than one spouse. Death
            rates were pretty high, even among those who were relatively young, and
            remarriages often took place shortly after the death of a spouse. (Someone
            had to care for the children or support the family.) I found one instance in
            my own research in which a wife died and later that same year the deceased
            wife's brother was witness to the remarriage.

            I applaud you for your determination to sort all of this out. It can be very
            exciting work.

            Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

            Janet

            _____

            --- On Wed, 8/6/08, kozlay <kozlay@verizon. <mailto:kozlay%40verizon.net>

            From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS@ yahoogroups.
            com]
            On
            Behalf Of Paul Kostyak
            Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 3:01 PM
            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
            Subject: [S-R] Johannes Kostak

            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
              Hello all,

              In my studies, I am finding that American sources are very wanting in finding original locations, and very often I find the "place of birth" or "from" box reading "Germany" or another country- obviously, in this country there wasn't much importance given to exact locations. My prof (who is LDS) says that "one can use the IGI to find localities of origination, and it can save you alot of tedius research in American sources." I personally am hesitant about the IGI- what sources have given you the best luck? Personally, I am finding Death Records to be good- though one has to know geography for it to be of assistance. I can see this not working though... when those present don't know which city or village the person was from.  Petitions for citizenship are about worthless when trying to determine an exact location, I find, as they have the "renunciation FOREVER all allegiances adn fidelity to any Foreign Power (or something of the like)" and then are good
              at determining who was King and which province, but no cities, towns, or villages- so finding vitals in the old country is somewhat demanding.

              Which sources, then, have been the best for you?
              Ben

            • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                Your prof is trying to limit you to the sources at his hand. that is, the
                FHL.
                He is also taking the easy way out.
                I've already made my opinion known about IGI. I would treat it as a clue,
                but never as authority.

                I have written extensively about birth sources.
                http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm

                With regard to immigration records, the US did not legislate collection of
                detailed data until 1904.
                Look at any manifest before or after 1904 to see the difference. Before
                1904, America accepted most people with open arms (discrimination after
                arrival notwithstanding.)

                with regard to death records - dreadfully inaccurate. It may be working
                for your specific lineage, but I would not bet one crown upon it. Death
                information in the USA is never verified or validated on death
                certificates, except in extenuating circumstances (murder, imprisonment,
                war, etcetera.)

                Bill Tarkulich

                On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 06:06:58 -0700 (PDT), Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>
                wrote:

                > Hello all,
                >
                > In my studies, I am finding that American sources are very wanting in
                > finding original locations, and very often I find the "place of birth" or
                > "from" box reading "Germany" or another country- obviously, in this
                country
                > there wasn't much importance given to exact locations. My prof (who is
                LDS)
                > says that "one can use the IGI to find localities of origination, and it
                > can save you alot of tedius research in American sources." I personally
                am
                > hesitant about the IGI- what sources have given you the best luck?
                > Personally, I am finding Death Records to be good- though one has to know
                > geography for it to be of assistance. I can see this not working
                though...
                > when those present don't know which city or village the person was from.
                > Petitions for citizenship are about worthless when trying to determine an
                > exact location, I find, as they have the "renunciation FOREVER all
                > allegiances adn fidelity to any Foreign Power (or something of the like)"
                > and then are good
                > at determining who was King and which province, but no cities, towns, or
                > villages- so finding vitals in the old country is somewhat demanding.
                >
                > Which sources, then, have been the best for you?
                > Ben

              • Ben Sorensen
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008

                  On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 06:06:58 -0700 (PDT), Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com>
                  wrote:

                  > Hello all,
                  >
                  > In my studies, I am finding that American sources are very wanting in
                  > finding original locations, and very often I find the "place of birth" or
                  > "from" box reading "Germany" or another country- obviously, in this
                  country
                  > there wasn't much importance given to exact locations. My prof (who is
                  LDS)
                  > says that "one can use the IGI to find localities of origination, and it
                  > can save you alot of tedius research in American sources." I personally
                  am
                  > hesitant about the IGI- what sources have given you the best luck?
                  > Personally, I am finding Death Records to be good- though one has to know
                  > geography for it to be of assistance. I can see this not working
                  though...
                  > when those present don't know which city or village the person was from.
                  > Petitions for citizenship are about worthless when trying to determine an
                  > exact location, I find, as they have the "renunciation FOREVER all
                  > allegiances adn fidelity to any Foreign Power (or something of the like)"
                  > and then are good
                  > at determining who was King and which province, but no cities, towns, or
                  > villages- so finding vitals in the old country is somewhat demanding.
                  >
                  > Which sources, then, have been the best for you?
                  > Ben

                • Ben Sorensen
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                    I am so sorry that there is a blank post on its way.  My hand malfunctioned and clicked the send button on its own. I am very sorry.
                    Ben

                    wrote:

                    > Hello all,
                    >
                    > In my studies, I am finding that American sources are very wanting in
                    > finding original locations, and very often I find the "place of birth" or
                    > "from" box reading "Germany" or another country- obviously, in this
                    country
                    > there wasn't much importance given to exact locations. My prof (who is
                    LDS)
                    > says that "one can use the IGI to find localities of origination, and it
                    > can save you alot of tedius research in American sources." I personally
                    am
                    > hesitant about the IGI- what sources have given you the best luck?
                    > Personally, I am finding Death Records to be good- though one has to know
                    > geography for it to be of assistance. I can see this not working
                    though...
                    > when those present don't know which city or village the person was from.
                    > Petitions for citizenship are about worthless when trying to determine an
                    > exact location, I find, as they have the "renunciation FOREVER all
                    > allegiances adn fidelity to any Foreign Power (or something of the like)"
                    > and then are good
                    > at determining who was King and which province, but no cities, towns, or
                    > villages- so finding vitals in the old country is somewhat demanding.
                    >
                    > Which sources, then, have been the best for you?
                    > Ben

                  • ssultonia
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                      Ben,
                      I had the opposite experience with Petitions for Citizenship. That
                      was the first place that gave me a clue where my GF was born. He
                      listed the village where he was born as "Almas" and through some kind
                      folks on this forum I learned that it was now Jablonov. That was the
                      breakthrough I needed and from there the LDS films helped fill in most
                      of the blanks. He also listed his last place of residence before
                      leaving as "Lucksa", which is right around the corner from Jablonov.
                      So, I guess it shows how much the records vary and that what works for
                      one may not for another depending on the time and location when the
                      documents were originated.
                      Cheers,
                      Bill
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

                      > Hello all,
                      >
                      > In my studies, I am finding that American sources are very wanting
                      in finding original locations, and very often I find the "place of
                      birth" or "from" box reading "Germany" or another country- obviously,
                      in this country there wasn't much importance given to exact locations.
                      My prof (who is LDS) says that "one can use the IGI to find localities
                      of origination, and it can save you alot of tedius research in
                      American sources." I personally am hesitant about the IGI- what
                      sources have given you the best luck? Personally, I am finding Death
                      Records to be good- though one has to know geography for it to be of
                      assistance. I can see this not working though... when those present
                      don't know which city or village the person was from. Petitions for
                      citizenship are about worthless when trying to determine an exact
                      location, I find, as they have the "renunciation FOREVER all
                      allegiances adn fidelity to any Foreign Power (or something of the
                      like)" and then are good
                      > at determining who was King and which province, but no cities,
                      towns, or villages- so finding vitals in the old country is somewhat
                      demanding.

                      > Which sources, then, have been the best for you?
                      > Ben

                    • kozlay
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                        There is often confusion over different naturalization records. It is the
                        Declaration of Intent (First Papers) that is most likely to contain the
                        place of birth. The Petition for Naturalization comes later and usually does
                        not contain this information. See
                        http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.

                        Janet

                      • PAULA BYRD
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                          Janet,

                          do you have an email address that works, this one says not found

                          Paula
                          There is often confusion over different naturalization records. It is the
                          Declaration of Intent (First Papers) that is most likely to contain the
                          place of birth. The Petition for Naturalization comes later and usually does
                          not contain this information. See
                          http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.<http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.>

                          Janet

                        • kozlay
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                            Paula, I am in the midst of changing my email address from
                            kozlay@... to kozlay@.... I don't know why you have had
                            problems since I believe I am receiving emails at the new address. You can
                            also try me at kozlay@....

                            Janet

                            _____

                            http://www.genealog <http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.>

                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                              Janet,
                              Oops. You're right. I quoted the wrong document. Sorry for the
                              confusion Ben. The Declaration of Intent is where I got my big break.
                              Regards.
                              Bill

                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                              > There is often confusion over different naturalization records. It
                              is the
                              > Declaration of Intent (First Papers) that is most likely to contain the
                              > place of birth. The Petition for Naturalization comes later and
                              usually does
                              > not contain this information. See
                              > http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.
                              >

                              > Janet

                            • PAULA BYRD
                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                                Janet,

                                I was meaning the adrdess for the first papers.When you click on the www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html<http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html> and the other one you have listed , it brings up a site that says not found.

                                Paula
                                Paula, I am in the midst of changing my email address from
                                kozlay@...<mailto:kozlay@...> to kozlay@...<mailto:kozlay@...>. I don't know why you have had
                                problems since I believe I am receiving emails at the new address. You can
                                also try me at kozlay@...<mailto:kozlay@...>.

                                Janet

                                _____

                                http://www.genealog<http://www.genealog/> <http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.<http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.>>
                                ybranches.com/naturalization.html.<http://www.genealog<http://www.genealog/>

                              • MEMcDTT@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                                  In a message dated 8/7/2008 5:58:33 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                                  crazyquilter3@... writes:

                                  <_http://www.genealoghttp://wwwhttp://www.geneahttp://w_
                                  (http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.) >>

                                  See the period after "html" that is what caused the problem

                                  Janet wrote,

                                  I was meaning the adrdess for the first papers.When you click on the
                                  www.genealogybranchI was meaning thI was
                                  mean<_http://www.genealoghttp://wwwhttp://www.geneahttp://_ (http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html) > and
                                  the other one you have listed , it brings up a site that says not found.

                                  Read reviews on AOL Autos.

                                • Ben Sorensen
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                                    I see what you all mean, and I am thankful for the opinions. I am doing a practice tree, and one of the Declarations of Intention from Wisconsin states that one of my subjects was born in "Prussia." Not exactly a place of origin... :-)

                                    Because most of what I am doing is theory with preset "practicals," I am very thankful for your "real-world" experience! I have been already warned, many times in class and out, of the poverty of American records before 1900.

                                    EVEN IN SPITE of some of the ideas about FHL and IGI in this course, it has taught me how to get the most out of primary sources, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone.  I am thoroughly enjoying this, and this group...
                                    Ben

                                    Oops. You're right. I quoted the wrong document. Sorry for the
                                    confusion Ben. The Declaration of Intent is where I got my big break.
                                    Regards.
                                    Bill

                                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com, "kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                                    > There is often confusion over different naturalization records. It
                                    is the
                                    > Declaration of Intent (First Papers) that is most likely to contain the
                                    > place of birth. The Petition for Naturalization comes later and
                                    usually does
                                    > not contain this information. See
                                    > http://www.genealog ybranches. com/naturalizati on.html.
                                    >

                                    > Janet

                                  • kozlay
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 8, 2008
                                      Here, let's try it one more time:

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Aug 8, 2008
                                        I never hang my hat on a single data point. Unless there is overwhelming
                                        circumstantial evidence that points to the data being correct, I insist on
                                        a second independent authoritative source to corroborate it. yea, I'm
                                        being a broken record.

                                        so if what you are doing is "theory", THE most important thing you can do
                                        is to cite and record sources for all data. That way, when you go back,
                                        people can develop their own opinions about whether the data element is
                                        credible.

                                        Regarding "Prussia". Don't be so quick to throw out the baby with the bath
                                        water. One inaccurate data element is not necessarily grounds to discount
                                        the whole document. It is never clear to me who the source of the
                                        information was for all or part of this information. Self? Clerk?
                                        Offspring? Friend? In some cases, it was simply confusion on the part of
                                        the immigrant. In most cases these folk were ignorant (not stupid),
                                        illiterate rural folks from small obscure region.

                                        Regards,
                                        Bill

                                        On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 19:58:45 -0700 (PDT), Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>
                                        wrote:
                                        > I see what you all mean, and I am thankful for the opinions. I am doing a
                                        > practice tree, and one of the Declarations of Intention from Wisconsin
                                        > states that one of my subjects was born in "Prussia." Not exactly a place
                                        > of origin... :-)
                                        >
                                        > Because most of what I am doing is theory with preset "practicals," I am
                                        > very thankful for your "real-world" experience! I have been already
                                        warned,
                                        > many times in class and out, of the poverty of American records before
                                        > 1900.
                                        >
                                        > EVEN IN SPITE of some of the ideas about FHL and IGI in this course, it
                                        > has taught me how to get the most out of primary sources, and I would
                                        > definitely recommend it to anyone. I am thoroughly enjoying this, and
                                        > this group...
                                        > Ben

                                      • Margo Smith
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Aug 8, 2008
                                          Ben -- "poverty of American records before 1900"?  In my experience, there are many more American records available than SK records.  Once a US location became a county, there are often a lot of records.  Of course, there are too many "burned courthouse" cases.

                                          Margo