RE: [S-R] Johannes Kostak

  • kozlay
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 6, 2008
      Dear Paul,

      The Maria Miskovics who arrived on the Carpathia in 1910 was the husband of
      Mihaly (Michael) Miskovics. She was traveling with her five children to her
      husband in Uniontown PA. Her mother was Agnes Csaplak in Lassupatak.

      Maria Miscovics was single when she immigrated in 1904.

      Both the 1920 and 1930 censuses from Pittsburgh indicate that John Kostyak's
      wife, Mary, was six years younger than he, making her date of birth about
      1885. This corresponds to the age of Maria Miscovics on the manifest in
      1904.

      As for the date on Maria's tombstone, this sort of error is not uncommon.
      The date would have been provided by a family member who may not have been
      certain of her date of birth. The only definitive answer is to find her
      birth record in Slovakia.

      Clearly these two Marias were sisters-in-law.

      The occupational information on the members of the Kostyak family comes from
      the 1920 and 1930 censuses for Pittsburgh. This is a good illustration of
      how important it is to pay attention to all of the information provided.
      This is just as true when you begin looking at the church records from
      Slovakia. There is often far more information than simply dates of birth,
      marriage, death, and parentage, though it may not be obvious from first
      glance. When you locate entries for your family, be sure to make a copy of
      the entire page as well as close-ups of the individual entry. This will help
      you (and others) to glean as much information as possible from the record.
      It will be of interest, for instance, to see if John/Janos/Johannes came
      from a family of tailors or other craftsmen and whether they tended to marry
      other craftsmen, as opposed to farming peasants. This would be significant
      information relative to their social standing in the village and help you
      learn more about the actual lives they led. In the end, this will be of
      greater interest than just names and dates.

      Meanwhile, while you are waiting for films to come in, I concur that you
      would be well advised to learn all you can from Bill Tarkulich's site
      (www.iabsi.com). There is so much valuable information there, you can spend
      several days going through it all and you may find yourself going back to it
      time and time again.

      Janet

      _____

      From: kozlay <kozlay@verizon. <mailto:kozlay%40verizon.net> net>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, August 5, 2008, 8:34 PM

      Paul,

      Maria Miscovics immigrated on February 14, 1904, from Szomolnok, also in
      Szepes county, to Connellsville PA. Her date of birth was 1885.

      Szomolnok is now Smolnik SK and is not far from old Lassupatak. Lassupatak
      went under a bewildering variety of names, including Stillbach and
      Henclofalva. It is now Henclova or Ticha Voda SK, which are essentially the
      same village. You can find Smolnik and Henclova on a modern map such as
      MapQuest and see how close they are.

      Roman Catholic church records are available for both places.
      Lassupatak/Henclofa lva/Ticha Voda (etc.) records are found with the village
      of Nalepkovo. You might find Maria's family in either place, so you would
      likely need to order the films from both.

      Janet

      _____

      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 6, 2008
        Paul,

        It looks like your grandparents naturalization records may be on
        www.footnote.com. Just search on "Kostyak."

        Good Luck.
        Betsey Ann

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Paul Kostyak <kaytsok@...> wrote:

        > You are the best. After I have looked at Bill's website and
        reflected on all of this, I will be back to you. I am overwhelmed
        (in a good way!)

        > Paul

      • Ben Sorensen
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 6, 2008
          I am about 90 percent sure, just from knowing Slovakia, (nuttin scientific...) that Kostak was pronounced Koshtak with a paletized t. The apostrophe referred to here is really a handwritten/now printed makcen softening the consonant, used on tall letters, T gets an apostrophe in the lower case and the "v" in the upper case.  Therefore, the apostrophe may be found also like this in records :Ť.  Consequently, L never gets the "v" and only an apostrophe in printed literature, regardless of case.

          I would expect to find Kostak spelled : Košťak.

          This is just an FYI as the research moves from the US to SK....
          Ben

          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 6, 2008
            Correction: Košťák.

            my bad, sorry.

          • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
              Hello Paul,

              Janet has provided a tremendous amount of help and sorting of facts for
              you. I am going to ask you to take a DEEP BREATH, push the chair back and
              do a little retrospective analysis now. I don't have time to help you with
              your specific search, but I do want to caution you as you proceed.

              First, it seems that your primary research sources are the manifests and
              the tombstones. I would be very hesitant to be building family trees based
              on this information. You need secondary sources. Clearly the church
              records on film will help you do that more confidently.

              Secondly, of critical importance is to get your hands on any documents your
              ancestors themselves may have produced. Otherwise you will be dealing with
              conjecture, implication and dreadful assumptions, all of which must be
              avoided. The most available and important records will be found in your
              immigrant's immigration file. The USCIS has been undergoing significant
              changes in administration of these records since 9/11. It appears we can
              see light at the end of the tunnel, with a new system for requesting these
              records set to go live on August 13th. While it will take months to get
              your paper, it is of critical importance in assuring you are looking at the
              right records. In these files contains your immigrant's testament to their
              birth date, place, immigration date, ship, next of kin and so on. all of
              these facts are super-important clues.
              A shortcut to get to the USCIS announcement is here:
              http://tinyurl.com/6gp6gt
              Examples of what can be found in a immigration file include the Alien
              Registration form
              http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ins_foia_petitions.htm#alien.
              The USCIS took most of this information offline, I spent some time
              reconstructing it on my site but have not completed the effort.
              http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/imm_names.htm#american_names, so the Alien
              Registration form image is missing at the moment.

              So get your request in to the USCIS and then go back to your other
              research. It will be well worth the wait.

              Janet is spot-on about details. Note every single one of them.

              An oft-overlooked strategy is to follow the records of friends, other
              family from the same village when you hit dead ends. Often you will find
              the record, but badly mangled in spelling, unfindable through computer
              serarch engines.

              Lastly, there is no such thing as "correct right" or "right name". Names
              morphed over the centuries, kingdoms, rulers, recordkeepers and manglers,
              both intentional and unintentional. Most of our ancestors were illiterate
              as late as 100 years ago. My grandmother signed a property deed in 1924
              with an "X". How would she know the correct spelling?!!!! Note all names
              and keep careful records. NEVER change names in the family tree to what
              you believe the "correct" name is. Use the name of record. If you don't,
              future researchers will be lost and befuddled with your work, and forced to
              discard it and start over.

              Best of Luck,

              Bill Tarkulich

            • kozlay
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                Dear Paul,

                I do not think the entry below Maria's on the 1904 manifest could be her
                mother. The two were both 19 years old, and the second one appears to be
                coming from a different place and having a different destination. Nor do I
                think the name looks like Krajniak. To me it looks more like Jarajnak. The
                transcriber read it as Tarajnak.

                Are you even certain that Maria's mother ever immigrated? There are lots of
                Maria Krajniaks in the Ellis Island records, though I don't see any that
                might qualify age-wise.

                You are probably right that all these Kostyaks are related in some way,
                though you won't know for certain until you look at the Slovak records.
                Since it is likely you will find numerous people in there with the same
                name, it will be important to distinguish carefully between them, working
                out various family groupings based on parentage, siblings, spouses, dates of
                birth, etc. Keep in mind that only birth and marriage records can be used
                to establish the dates of those occurrences. You cannot, for instance,
                depend on stated age at marriage to establish a firm date of birth.

                I warn you that this is not an easy task. You can only hope that the records
                contain all the information you need. For instance, if a marriage record
                does not include the names of the bride and groom's parents, it may be
                difficult to place that marriage correctly in your family tree. The earlier
                you go, the more likely it is that there will be missing information. Also,
                you need to be prepared to find some people with more than one spouse. Death
                rates were pretty high, even among those who were relatively young, and
                remarriages often took place shortly after the death of a spouse. (Someone
                had to care for the children or support the family.) I found one instance in
                my own research in which a wife died and later that same year the deceased
                wife's brother was witness to the remarriage.

                I applaud you for your determination to sort all of this out. It can be very
                exciting work.

                Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

                Janet

                _____

                --- On Wed, 8/6/08, kozlay <kozlay@verizon. <mailto:kozlay%40verizon.net>

                From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS@ yahoogroups.
                com]
                On
                Behalf Of Paul Kostyak
                Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 3:01 PM
                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com

                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                  Hello all,

                  In my studies, I am finding that American sources are very wanting in finding original locations, and very often I find the "place of birth" or "from" box reading "Germany" or another country- obviously, in this country there wasn't much importance given to exact locations. My prof (who is LDS) says that "one can use the IGI to find localities of origination, and it can save you alot of tedius research in American sources." I personally am hesitant about the IGI- what sources have given you the best luck? Personally, I am finding Death Records to be good- though one has to know geography for it to be of assistance. I can see this not working though... when those present don't know which city or village the person was from.  Petitions for citizenship are about worthless when trying to determine an exact location, I find, as they have the "renunciation FOREVER all allegiances adn fidelity to any Foreign Power (or something of the like)" and then are good
                  at determining who was King and which province, but no cities, towns, or villages- so finding vitals in the old country is somewhat demanding.

                  Which sources, then, have been the best for you?
                  Ben

                • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                    Your prof is trying to limit you to the sources at his hand. that is, the
                    FHL.
                    He is also taking the easy way out.
                    I've already made my opinion known about IGI. I would treat it as a clue,
                    but never as authority.

                    I have written extensively about birth sources.
                    http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm

                    With regard to immigration records, the US did not legislate collection of
                    detailed data until 1904.
                    Look at any manifest before or after 1904 to see the difference. Before
                    1904, America accepted most people with open arms (discrimination after
                    arrival notwithstanding.)

                    with regard to death records - dreadfully inaccurate. It may be working
                    for your specific lineage, but I would not bet one crown upon it. Death
                    information in the USA is never verified or validated on death
                    certificates, except in extenuating circumstances (murder, imprisonment,
                    war, etcetera.)

                    Bill Tarkulich

                    On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 06:06:58 -0700 (PDT), Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hello all,
                    >
                    > In my studies, I am finding that American sources are very wanting in
                    > finding original locations, and very often I find the "place of birth" or
                    > "from" box reading "Germany" or another country- obviously, in this
                    country
                    > there wasn't much importance given to exact locations. My prof (who is
                    LDS)
                    > says that "one can use the IGI to find localities of origination, and it
                    > can save you alot of tedius research in American sources." I personally
                    am
                    > hesitant about the IGI- what sources have given you the best luck?
                    > Personally, I am finding Death Records to be good- though one has to know
                    > geography for it to be of assistance. I can see this not working
                    though...
                    > when those present don't know which city or village the person was from.
                    > Petitions for citizenship are about worthless when trying to determine an
                    > exact location, I find, as they have the "renunciation FOREVER all
                    > allegiances adn fidelity to any Foreign Power (or something of the like)"
                    > and then are good
                    > at determining who was King and which province, but no cities, towns, or
                    > villages- so finding vitals in the old country is somewhat demanding.
                    >
                    > Which sources, then, have been the best for you?
                    > Ben

                  • Ben Sorensen
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008

                      On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 06:06:58 -0700 (PDT), Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com>
                      wrote:

                      > Hello all,
                      >
                      > In my studies, I am finding that American sources are very wanting in
                      > finding original locations, and very often I find the "place of birth" or
                      > "from" box reading "Germany" or another country- obviously, in this
                      country
                      > there wasn't much importance given to exact locations. My prof (who is
                      LDS)
                      > says that "one can use the IGI to find localities of origination, and it
                      > can save you alot of tedius research in American sources." I personally
                      am
                      > hesitant about the IGI- what sources have given you the best luck?
                      > Personally, I am finding Death Records to be good- though one has to know
                      > geography for it to be of assistance. I can see this not working
                      though...
                      > when those present don't know which city or village the person was from.
                      > Petitions for citizenship are about worthless when trying to determine an
                      > exact location, I find, as they have the "renunciation FOREVER all
                      > allegiances adn fidelity to any Foreign Power (or something of the like)"
                      > and then are good
                      > at determining who was King and which province, but no cities, towns, or
                      > villages- so finding vitals in the old country is somewhat demanding.
                      >
                      > Which sources, then, have been the best for you?
                      > Ben

                    • Ben Sorensen
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                        I am so sorry that there is a blank post on its way.  My hand malfunctioned and clicked the send button on its own. I am very sorry.
                        Ben

                        wrote:

                        > Hello all,
                        >
                        > In my studies, I am finding that American sources are very wanting in
                        > finding original locations, and very often I find the "place of birth" or
                        > "from" box reading "Germany" or another country- obviously, in this
                        country
                        > there wasn't much importance given to exact locations. My prof (who is
                        LDS)
                        > says that "one can use the IGI to find localities of origination, and it
                        > can save you alot of tedius research in American sources." I personally
                        am
                        > hesitant about the IGI- what sources have given you the best luck?
                        > Personally, I am finding Death Records to be good- though one has to know
                        > geography for it to be of assistance. I can see this not working
                        though...
                        > when those present don't know which city or village the person was from.
                        > Petitions for citizenship are about worthless when trying to determine an
                        > exact location, I find, as they have the "renunciation FOREVER all
                        > allegiances adn fidelity to any Foreign Power (or something of the like)"
                        > and then are good
                        > at determining who was King and which province, but no cities, towns, or
                        > villages- so finding vitals in the old country is somewhat demanding.
                        >
                        > Which sources, then, have been the best for you?
                        > Ben

                      • ssultonia
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                          Ben,
                          I had the opposite experience with Petitions for Citizenship. That
                          was the first place that gave me a clue where my GF was born. He
                          listed the village where he was born as "Almas" and through some kind
                          folks on this forum I learned that it was now Jablonov. That was the
                          breakthrough I needed and from there the LDS films helped fill in most
                          of the blanks. He also listed his last place of residence before
                          leaving as "Lucksa", which is right around the corner from Jablonov.
                          So, I guess it shows how much the records vary and that what works for
                          one may not for another depending on the time and location when the
                          documents were originated.
                          Cheers,
                          Bill
                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

                          > Hello all,
                          >
                          > In my studies, I am finding that American sources are very wanting
                          in finding original locations, and very often I find the "place of
                          birth" or "from" box reading "Germany" or another country- obviously,
                          in this country there wasn't much importance given to exact locations.
                          My prof (who is LDS) says that "one can use the IGI to find localities
                          of origination, and it can save you alot of tedius research in
                          American sources." I personally am hesitant about the IGI- what
                          sources have given you the best luck? Personally, I am finding Death
                          Records to be good- though one has to know geography for it to be of
                          assistance. I can see this not working though... when those present
                          don't know which city or village the person was from. Petitions for
                          citizenship are about worthless when trying to determine an exact
                          location, I find, as they have the "renunciation FOREVER all
                          allegiances adn fidelity to any Foreign Power (or something of the
                          like)" and then are good
                          > at determining who was King and which province, but no cities,
                          towns, or villages- so finding vitals in the old country is somewhat
                          demanding.

                          > Which sources, then, have been the best for you?
                          > Ben

                        • kozlay
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                            There is often confusion over different naturalization records. It is the
                            Declaration of Intent (First Papers) that is most likely to contain the
                            place of birth. The Petition for Naturalization comes later and usually does
                            not contain this information. See
                            http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.

                            Janet

                          • PAULA BYRD
                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                              Janet,

                              do you have an email address that works, this one says not found

                              Paula
                              There is often confusion over different naturalization records. It is the
                              Declaration of Intent (First Papers) that is most likely to contain the
                              place of birth. The Petition for Naturalization comes later and usually does
                              not contain this information. See
                              http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.<http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.>

                              Janet

                            • kozlay
                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                                Paula, I am in the midst of changing my email address from
                                kozlay@... to kozlay@.... I don't know why you have had
                                problems since I believe I am receiving emails at the new address. You can
                                also try me at kozlay@....

                                Janet

                                _____

                                http://www.genealog <http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.>

                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                                  Janet,
                                  Oops. You're right. I quoted the wrong document. Sorry for the
                                  confusion Ben. The Declaration of Intent is where I got my big break.
                                  Regards.
                                  Bill

                                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                                  > There is often confusion over different naturalization records. It
                                  is the
                                  > Declaration of Intent (First Papers) that is most likely to contain the
                                  > place of birth. The Petition for Naturalization comes later and
                                  usually does
                                  > not contain this information. See
                                  > http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.
                                  >

                                  > Janet

                                • PAULA BYRD
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                                    Janet,

                                    I was meaning the adrdess for the first papers.When you click on the www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html<http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html> and the other one you have listed , it brings up a site that says not found.

                                    Paula
                                    Paula, I am in the midst of changing my email address from
                                    kozlay@...<mailto:kozlay@...> to kozlay@...<mailto:kozlay@...>. I don't know why you have had
                                    problems since I believe I am receiving emails at the new address. You can
                                    also try me at kozlay@...<mailto:kozlay@...>.

                                    Janet

                                    _____

                                    http://www.genealog<http://www.genealog/> <http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.<http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.>>
                                    ybranches.com/naturalization.html.<http://www.genealog<http://www.genealog/>

                                  • MEMcDTT@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                                      In a message dated 8/7/2008 5:58:33 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                                      crazyquilter3@... writes:

                                      <_http://www.genealoghttp://wwwhttp://www.geneahttp://w_
                                      (http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.) >>

                                      See the period after "html" that is what caused the problem

                                      Janet wrote,

                                      I was meaning the adrdess for the first papers.When you click on the
                                      www.genealogybranchI was meaning thI was
                                      mean<_http://www.genealoghttp://wwwhttp://www.geneahttp://_ (http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html) > and
                                      the other one you have listed , it brings up a site that says not found.

                                      Read reviews on AOL Autos.

                                    • Ben Sorensen
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                                        I see what you all mean, and I am thankful for the opinions. I am doing a practice tree, and one of the Declarations of Intention from Wisconsin states that one of my subjects was born in "Prussia." Not exactly a place of origin... :-)

                                        Because most of what I am doing is theory with preset "practicals," I am very thankful for your "real-world" experience! I have been already warned, many times in class and out, of the poverty of American records before 1900.

                                        EVEN IN SPITE of some of the ideas about FHL and IGI in this course, it has taught me how to get the most out of primary sources, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone.  I am thoroughly enjoying this, and this group...
                                        Ben

                                        Oops. You're right. I quoted the wrong document. Sorry for the
                                        confusion Ben. The Declaration of Intent is where I got my big break.
                                        Regards.
                                        Bill

                                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com, "kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                                        > There is often confusion over different naturalization records. It
                                        is the
                                        > Declaration of Intent (First Papers) that is most likely to contain the
                                        > place of birth. The Petition for Naturalization comes later and
                                        usually does
                                        > not contain this information. See
                                        > http://www.genealog ybranches. com/naturalizati on.html.
                                        >

                                        > Janet

                                      • kozlay
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Aug 8, 2008
                                          Here, let's try it one more time:

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Aug 8, 2008
                                            I never hang my hat on a single data point. Unless there is overwhelming
                                            circumstantial evidence that points to the data being correct, I insist on
                                            a second independent authoritative source to corroborate it. yea, I'm
                                            being a broken record.

                                            so if what you are doing is "theory", THE most important thing you can do
                                            is to cite and record sources for all data. That way, when you go back,
                                            people can develop their own opinions about whether the data element is
                                            credible.

                                            Regarding "Prussia". Don't be so quick to throw out the baby with the bath
                                            water. One inaccurate data element is not necessarily grounds to discount
                                            the whole document. It is never clear to me who the source of the
                                            information was for all or part of this information. Self? Clerk?
                                            Offspring? Friend? In some cases, it was simply confusion on the part of
                                            the immigrant. In most cases these folk were ignorant (not stupid),
                                            illiterate rural folks from small obscure region.

                                            Regards,
                                            Bill

                                            On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 19:58:45 -0700 (PDT), Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>
                                            wrote:
                                            > I see what you all mean, and I am thankful for the opinions. I am doing a
                                            > practice tree, and one of the Declarations of Intention from Wisconsin
                                            > states that one of my subjects was born in "Prussia." Not exactly a place
                                            > of origin... :-)
                                            >
                                            > Because most of what I am doing is theory with preset "practicals," I am
                                            > very thankful for your "real-world" experience! I have been already
                                            warned,
                                            > many times in class and out, of the poverty of American records before
                                            > 1900.
                                            >
                                            > EVEN IN SPITE of some of the ideas about FHL and IGI in this course, it
                                            > has taught me how to get the most out of primary sources, and I would
                                            > definitely recommend it to anyone. I am thoroughly enjoying this, and
                                            > this group...
                                            > Ben

                                          • Margo Smith
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Aug 8, 2008
                                              Ben -- "poverty of American records before 1900"?  In my experience, there are many more American records available than SK records.  Once a US location became a county, there are often a lot of records.  Of course, there are too many "burned courthouse" cases.

                                              Margo