RE: [S-R] Johannes Kostak

  • kozlay
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 5, 2008
      Paul,

      Maria Miscovics immigrated on February 14, 1904, from Szomolnok, also in
      Szepes county, to Connellsville PA. Her date of birth was 1885.

      Szomolnok is now Smolnik SK and is not far from old Lassupatak. Lassupatak
      went under a bewildering variety of names, including Stillbach and
      Henclofalva. It is now Henclova or Ticha Voda SK, which are essentially the
      same village. You can find Smolnik and Henclova on a modern map such as
      MapQuest and see how close they are.

      Roman Catholic church records are available for both places.
      Lassupatak/Henclofalva/Ticha Voda (etc.) records are found with the village
      of Nalepkovo. You might find Maria's family in either place, so you would
      likely need to order the films from both.

      Janet

      _____

      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 5, 2008
        >>> Thank you in advance for any insights you can give me. <<<

        Janet has given you the particulars on the old church records. Being
        new to the game, you should revieww all the info on Bill Tarkulich's
        web site.

        BASIC RESEARCH HELP
        For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
        site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

        CURRENT MAP

        1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
        The old Hungarian map can be found at:
        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/szepes.jpg

        Look at the bottom of the map for your villages.

        CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
        get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will
        likely find in church records.
      • kozlay
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 6, 2008
          Dear Paul,

          The Maria Miskovics who arrived on the Carpathia in 1910 was the husband of
          Mihaly (Michael) Miskovics. She was traveling with her five children to her
          husband in Uniontown PA. Her mother was Agnes Csaplak in Lassupatak.

          Maria Miscovics was single when she immigrated in 1904.

          Both the 1920 and 1930 censuses from Pittsburgh indicate that John Kostyak's
          wife, Mary, was six years younger than he, making her date of birth about
          1885. This corresponds to the age of Maria Miscovics on the manifest in
          1904.

          As for the date on Maria's tombstone, this sort of error is not uncommon.
          The date would have been provided by a family member who may not have been
          certain of her date of birth. The only definitive answer is to find her
          birth record in Slovakia.

          Clearly these two Marias were sisters-in-law.

          The occupational information on the members of the Kostyak family comes from
          the 1920 and 1930 censuses for Pittsburgh. This is a good illustration of
          how important it is to pay attention to all of the information provided.
          This is just as true when you begin looking at the church records from
          Slovakia. There is often far more information than simply dates of birth,
          marriage, death, and parentage, though it may not be obvious from first
          glance. When you locate entries for your family, be sure to make a copy of
          the entire page as well as close-ups of the individual entry. This will help
          you (and others) to glean as much information as possible from the record.
          It will be of interest, for instance, to see if John/Janos/Johannes came
          from a family of tailors or other craftsmen and whether they tended to marry
          other craftsmen, as opposed to farming peasants. This would be significant
          information relative to their social standing in the village and help you
          learn more about the actual lives they led. In the end, this will be of
          greater interest than just names and dates.

          Meanwhile, while you are waiting for films to come in, I concur that you
          would be well advised to learn all you can from Bill Tarkulich's site
          (www.iabsi.com). There is so much valuable information there, you can spend
          several days going through it all and you may find yourself going back to it
          time and time again.

          Janet

          _____

          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 6, 2008
            Paul,

            It looks like your grandparents naturalization records may be on
            www.footnote.com. Just search on "Kostyak."

            Good Luck.
            Betsey Ann

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Paul Kostyak <kaytsok@...> wrote:

            > You are the best. After I have looked at Bill's website and
            reflected on all of this, I will be back to you. I am overwhelmed
            (in a good way!)

            > Paul

          • Ben Sorensen
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 6, 2008
              I am about 90 percent sure, just from knowing Slovakia, (nuttin scientific...) that Kostak was pronounced Koshtak with a paletized t. The apostrophe referred to here is really a handwritten/now printed makcen softening the consonant, used on tall letters, T gets an apostrophe in the lower case and the "v" in the upper case.  Therefore, the apostrophe may be found also like this in records :Ť.  Consequently, L never gets the "v" and only an apostrophe in printed literature, regardless of case.

              I would expect to find Kostak spelled : Košťak.

              This is just an FYI as the research moves from the US to SK....
              Ben

              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 6, 2008
                Correction: Košťák.

                my bad, sorry.

              • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                  Hello Paul,

                  Janet has provided a tremendous amount of help and sorting of facts for
                  you. I am going to ask you to take a DEEP BREATH, push the chair back and
                  do a little retrospective analysis now. I don't have time to help you with
                  your specific search, but I do want to caution you as you proceed.

                  First, it seems that your primary research sources are the manifests and
                  the tombstones. I would be very hesitant to be building family trees based
                  on this information. You need secondary sources. Clearly the church
                  records on film will help you do that more confidently.

                  Secondly, of critical importance is to get your hands on any documents your
                  ancestors themselves may have produced. Otherwise you will be dealing with
                  conjecture, implication and dreadful assumptions, all of which must be
                  avoided. The most available and important records will be found in your
                  immigrant's immigration file. The USCIS has been undergoing significant
                  changes in administration of these records since 9/11. It appears we can
                  see light at the end of the tunnel, with a new system for requesting these
                  records set to go live on August 13th. While it will take months to get
                  your paper, it is of critical importance in assuring you are looking at the
                  right records. In these files contains your immigrant's testament to their
                  birth date, place, immigration date, ship, next of kin and so on. all of
                  these facts are super-important clues.
                  A shortcut to get to the USCIS announcement is here:
                  http://tinyurl.com/6gp6gt
                  Examples of what can be found in a immigration file include the Alien
                  Registration form
                  http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ins_foia_petitions.htm#alien.
                  The USCIS took most of this information offline, I spent some time
                  reconstructing it on my site but have not completed the effort.
                  http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/imm_names.htm#american_names, so the Alien
                  Registration form image is missing at the moment.

                  So get your request in to the USCIS and then go back to your other
                  research. It will be well worth the wait.

                  Janet is spot-on about details. Note every single one of them.

                  An oft-overlooked strategy is to follow the records of friends, other
                  family from the same village when you hit dead ends. Often you will find
                  the record, but badly mangled in spelling, unfindable through computer
                  serarch engines.

                  Lastly, there is no such thing as "correct right" or "right name". Names
                  morphed over the centuries, kingdoms, rulers, recordkeepers and manglers,
                  both intentional and unintentional. Most of our ancestors were illiterate
                  as late as 100 years ago. My grandmother signed a property deed in 1924
                  with an "X". How would she know the correct spelling?!!!! Note all names
                  and keep careful records. NEVER change names in the family tree to what
                  you believe the "correct" name is. Use the name of record. If you don't,
                  future researchers will be lost and befuddled with your work, and forced to
                  discard it and start over.

                  Best of Luck,

                  Bill Tarkulich

                • kozlay
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                    Dear Paul,

                    I do not think the entry below Maria's on the 1904 manifest could be her
                    mother. The two were both 19 years old, and the second one appears to be
                    coming from a different place and having a different destination. Nor do I
                    think the name looks like Krajniak. To me it looks more like Jarajnak. The
                    transcriber read it as Tarajnak.

                    Are you even certain that Maria's mother ever immigrated? There are lots of
                    Maria Krajniaks in the Ellis Island records, though I don't see any that
                    might qualify age-wise.

                    You are probably right that all these Kostyaks are related in some way,
                    though you won't know for certain until you look at the Slovak records.
                    Since it is likely you will find numerous people in there with the same
                    name, it will be important to distinguish carefully between them, working
                    out various family groupings based on parentage, siblings, spouses, dates of
                    birth, etc. Keep in mind that only birth and marriage records can be used
                    to establish the dates of those occurrences. You cannot, for instance,
                    depend on stated age at marriage to establish a firm date of birth.

                    I warn you that this is not an easy task. You can only hope that the records
                    contain all the information you need. For instance, if a marriage record
                    does not include the names of the bride and groom's parents, it may be
                    difficult to place that marriage correctly in your family tree. The earlier
                    you go, the more likely it is that there will be missing information. Also,
                    you need to be prepared to find some people with more than one spouse. Death
                    rates were pretty high, even among those who were relatively young, and
                    remarriages often took place shortly after the death of a spouse. (Someone
                    had to care for the children or support the family.) I found one instance in
                    my own research in which a wife died and later that same year the deceased
                    wife's brother was witness to the remarriage.

                    I applaud you for your determination to sort all of this out. It can be very
                    exciting work.

                    Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

                    Janet

                    _____

                    --- On Wed, 8/6/08, kozlay <kozlay@verizon. <mailto:kozlay%40verizon.net>

                    From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS@ yahoogroups.
                    com]
                    On
                    Behalf Of Paul Kostyak
                    Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 3:01 PM
                    To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com

                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                      Hello all,

                      In my studies, I am finding that American sources are very wanting in finding original locations, and very often I find the "place of birth" or "from" box reading "Germany" or another country- obviously, in this country there wasn't much importance given to exact locations. My prof (who is LDS) says that "one can use the IGI to find localities of origination, and it can save you alot of tedius research in American sources." I personally am hesitant about the IGI- what sources have given you the best luck? Personally, I am finding Death Records to be good- though one has to know geography for it to be of assistance. I can see this not working though... when those present don't know which city or village the person was from.  Petitions for citizenship are about worthless when trying to determine an exact location, I find, as they have the "renunciation FOREVER all allegiances adn fidelity to any Foreign Power (or something of the like)" and then are good
                      at determining who was King and which province, but no cities, towns, or villages- so finding vitals in the old country is somewhat demanding.

                      Which sources, then, have been the best for you?
                      Ben

                    • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                        Your prof is trying to limit you to the sources at his hand. that is, the
                        FHL.
                        He is also taking the easy way out.
                        I've already made my opinion known about IGI. I would treat it as a clue,
                        but never as authority.

                        I have written extensively about birth sources.
                        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm

                        With regard to immigration records, the US did not legislate collection of
                        detailed data until 1904.
                        Look at any manifest before or after 1904 to see the difference. Before
                        1904, America accepted most people with open arms (discrimination after
                        arrival notwithstanding.)

                        with regard to death records - dreadfully inaccurate. It may be working
                        for your specific lineage, but I would not bet one crown upon it. Death
                        information in the USA is never verified or validated on death
                        certificates, except in extenuating circumstances (murder, imprisonment,
                        war, etcetera.)

                        Bill Tarkulich

                        On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 06:06:58 -0700 (PDT), Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Hello all,
                        >
                        > In my studies, I am finding that American sources are very wanting in
                        > finding original locations, and very often I find the "place of birth" or
                        > "from" box reading "Germany" or another country- obviously, in this
                        country
                        > there wasn't much importance given to exact locations. My prof (who is
                        LDS)
                        > says that "one can use the IGI to find localities of origination, and it
                        > can save you alot of tedius research in American sources." I personally
                        am
                        > hesitant about the IGI- what sources have given you the best luck?
                        > Personally, I am finding Death Records to be good- though one has to know
                        > geography for it to be of assistance. I can see this not working
                        though...
                        > when those present don't know which city or village the person was from.
                        > Petitions for citizenship are about worthless when trying to determine an
                        > exact location, I find, as they have the "renunciation FOREVER all
                        > allegiances adn fidelity to any Foreign Power (or something of the like)"
                        > and then are good
                        > at determining who was King and which province, but no cities, towns, or
                        > villages- so finding vitals in the old country is somewhat demanding.
                        >
                        > Which sources, then, have been the best for you?
                        > Ben

                      • Ben Sorensen
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008

                          On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 06:06:58 -0700 (PDT), Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com>
                          wrote:

                          > Hello all,
                          >
                          > In my studies, I am finding that American sources are very wanting in
                          > finding original locations, and very often I find the "place of birth" or
                          > "from" box reading "Germany" or another country- obviously, in this
                          country
                          > there wasn't much importance given to exact locations. My prof (who is
                          LDS)
                          > says that "one can use the IGI to find localities of origination, and it
                          > can save you alot of tedius research in American sources." I personally
                          am
                          > hesitant about the IGI- what sources have given you the best luck?
                          > Personally, I am finding Death Records to be good- though one has to know
                          > geography for it to be of assistance. I can see this not working
                          though...
                          > when those present don't know which city or village the person was from.
                          > Petitions for citizenship are about worthless when trying to determine an
                          > exact location, I find, as they have the "renunciation FOREVER all
                          > allegiances adn fidelity to any Foreign Power (or something of the like)"
                          > and then are good
                          > at determining who was King and which province, but no cities, towns, or
                          > villages- so finding vitals in the old country is somewhat demanding.
                          >
                          > Which sources, then, have been the best for you?
                          > Ben

                        • Ben Sorensen
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                            I am so sorry that there is a blank post on its way.  My hand malfunctioned and clicked the send button on its own. I am very sorry.
                            Ben

                            wrote:

                            > Hello all,
                            >
                            > In my studies, I am finding that American sources are very wanting in
                            > finding original locations, and very often I find the "place of birth" or
                            > "from" box reading "Germany" or another country- obviously, in this
                            country
                            > there wasn't much importance given to exact locations. My prof (who is
                            LDS)
                            > says that "one can use the IGI to find localities of origination, and it
                            > can save you alot of tedius research in American sources." I personally
                            am
                            > hesitant about the IGI- what sources have given you the best luck?
                            > Personally, I am finding Death Records to be good- though one has to know
                            > geography for it to be of assistance. I can see this not working
                            though...
                            > when those present don't know which city or village the person was from.
                            > Petitions for citizenship are about worthless when trying to determine an
                            > exact location, I find, as they have the "renunciation FOREVER all
                            > allegiances adn fidelity to any Foreign Power (or something of the like)"
                            > and then are good
                            > at determining who was King and which province, but no cities, towns, or
                            > villages- so finding vitals in the old country is somewhat demanding.
                            >
                            > Which sources, then, have been the best for you?
                            > Ben

                          • ssultonia
                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                              Ben,
                              I had the opposite experience with Petitions for Citizenship. That
                              was the first place that gave me a clue where my GF was born. He
                              listed the village where he was born as "Almas" and through some kind
                              folks on this forum I learned that it was now Jablonov. That was the
                              breakthrough I needed and from there the LDS films helped fill in most
                              of the blanks. He also listed his last place of residence before
                              leaving as "Lucksa", which is right around the corner from Jablonov.
                              So, I guess it shows how much the records vary and that what works for
                              one may not for another depending on the time and location when the
                              documents were originated.
                              Cheers,
                              Bill
                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

                              > Hello all,
                              >
                              > In my studies, I am finding that American sources are very wanting
                              in finding original locations, and very often I find the "place of
                              birth" or "from" box reading "Germany" or another country- obviously,
                              in this country there wasn't much importance given to exact locations.
                              My prof (who is LDS) says that "one can use the IGI to find localities
                              of origination, and it can save you alot of tedius research in
                              American sources." I personally am hesitant about the IGI- what
                              sources have given you the best luck? Personally, I am finding Death
                              Records to be good- though one has to know geography for it to be of
                              assistance. I can see this not working though... when those present
                              don't know which city or village the person was from. Petitions for
                              citizenship are about worthless when trying to determine an exact
                              location, I find, as they have the "renunciation FOREVER all
                              allegiances adn fidelity to any Foreign Power (or something of the
                              like)" and then are good
                              > at determining who was King and which province, but no cities,
                              towns, or villages- so finding vitals in the old country is somewhat
                              demanding.

                              > Which sources, then, have been the best for you?
                              > Ben

                            • kozlay
                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                                There is often confusion over different naturalization records. It is the
                                Declaration of Intent (First Papers) that is most likely to contain the
                                place of birth. The Petition for Naturalization comes later and usually does
                                not contain this information. See
                                http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.

                                Janet

                              • PAULA BYRD
                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                                  Janet,

                                  do you have an email address that works, this one says not found

                                  Paula
                                  There is often confusion over different naturalization records. It is the
                                  Declaration of Intent (First Papers) that is most likely to contain the
                                  place of birth. The Petition for Naturalization comes later and usually does
                                  not contain this information. See
                                  http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.<http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.>

                                  Janet

                                • kozlay
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                                    Paula, I am in the midst of changing my email address from
                                    kozlay@... to kozlay@.... I don't know why you have had
                                    problems since I believe I am receiving emails at the new address. You can
                                    also try me at kozlay@....

                                    Janet

                                    _____

                                    http://www.genealog <http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.>

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                                      Janet,
                                      Oops. You're right. I quoted the wrong document. Sorry for the
                                      confusion Ben. The Declaration of Intent is where I got my big break.
                                      Regards.
                                      Bill

                                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                                      > There is often confusion over different naturalization records. It
                                      is the
                                      > Declaration of Intent (First Papers) that is most likely to contain the
                                      > place of birth. The Petition for Naturalization comes later and
                                      usually does
                                      > not contain this information. See
                                      > http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.
                                      >

                                      > Janet

                                    • PAULA BYRD
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                                        Janet,

                                        I was meaning the adrdess for the first papers.When you click on the www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html<http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html> and the other one you have listed , it brings up a site that says not found.

                                        Paula
                                        Paula, I am in the midst of changing my email address from
                                        kozlay@...<mailto:kozlay@...> to kozlay@...<mailto:kozlay@...>. I don't know why you have had
                                        problems since I believe I am receiving emails at the new address. You can
                                        also try me at kozlay@...<mailto:kozlay@...>.

                                        Janet

                                        _____

                                        http://www.genealog<http://www.genealog/> <http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.<http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.>>
                                        ybranches.com/naturalization.html.<http://www.genealog<http://www.genealog/>

                                      • MEMcDTT@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                                          In a message dated 8/7/2008 5:58:33 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                                          crazyquilter3@... writes:

                                          <_http://www.genealoghttp://wwwhttp://www.geneahttp://w_
                                          (http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html.) >>

                                          See the period after "html" that is what caused the problem

                                          Janet wrote,

                                          I was meaning the adrdess for the first papers.When you click on the
                                          www.genealogybranchI was meaning thI was
                                          mean<_http://www.genealoghttp://wwwhttp://www.geneahttp://_ (http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html) > and
                                          the other one you have listed , it brings up a site that says not found.

                                          Read reviews on AOL Autos.

                                        • Ben Sorensen
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                                            I see what you all mean, and I am thankful for the opinions. I am doing a practice tree, and one of the Declarations of Intention from Wisconsin states that one of my subjects was born in "Prussia." Not exactly a place of origin... :-)

                                            Because most of what I am doing is theory with preset "practicals," I am very thankful for your "real-world" experience! I have been already warned, many times in class and out, of the poverty of American records before 1900.

                                            EVEN IN SPITE of some of the ideas about FHL and IGI in this course, it has taught me how to get the most out of primary sources, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone.  I am thoroughly enjoying this, and this group...
                                            Ben

                                            Oops. You're right. I quoted the wrong document. Sorry for the
                                            confusion Ben. The Declaration of Intent is where I got my big break.
                                            Regards.
                                            Bill

                                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com, "kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                                            > There is often confusion over different naturalization records. It
                                            is the
                                            > Declaration of Intent (First Papers) that is most likely to contain the
                                            > place of birth. The Petition for Naturalization comes later and
                                            usually does
                                            > not contain this information. See
                                            > http://www.genealog ybranches. com/naturalizati on.html.
                                            >

                                            > Janet

                                          • kozlay
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Aug 8, 2008
                                              Here, let's try it one more time:

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Aug 8, 2008
                                                I never hang my hat on a single data point. Unless there is overwhelming
                                                circumstantial evidence that points to the data being correct, I insist on
                                                a second independent authoritative source to corroborate it. yea, I'm
                                                being a broken record.

                                                so if what you are doing is "theory", THE most important thing you can do
                                                is to cite and record sources for all data. That way, when you go back,
                                                people can develop their own opinions about whether the data element is
                                                credible.

                                                Regarding "Prussia". Don't be so quick to throw out the baby with the bath
                                                water. One inaccurate data element is not necessarily grounds to discount
                                                the whole document. It is never clear to me who the source of the
                                                information was for all or part of this information. Self? Clerk?
                                                Offspring? Friend? In some cases, it was simply confusion on the part of
                                                the immigrant. In most cases these folk were ignorant (not stupid),
                                                illiterate rural folks from small obscure region.

                                                Regards,
                                                Bill

                                                On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 19:58:45 -0700 (PDT), Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>
                                                wrote:
                                                > I see what you all mean, and I am thankful for the opinions. I am doing a
                                                > practice tree, and one of the Declarations of Intention from Wisconsin
                                                > states that one of my subjects was born in "Prussia." Not exactly a place
                                                > of origin... :-)
                                                >
                                                > Because most of what I am doing is theory with preset "practicals," I am
                                                > very thankful for your "real-world" experience! I have been already
                                                warned,
                                                > many times in class and out, of the poverty of American records before
                                                > 1900.
                                                >
                                                > EVEN IN SPITE of some of the ideas about FHL and IGI in this course, it
                                                > has taught me how to get the most out of primary sources, and I would
                                                > definitely recommend it to anyone. I am thoroughly enjoying this, and
                                                > this group...
                                                > Ben

                                              • Margo Smith
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Aug 8, 2008
                                                  Ben -- "poverty of American records before 1900"?  In my experience, there are many more American records available than SK records.  Once a US location became a county, there are often a lot of records.  Of course, there are too many "burned courthouse" cases.

                                                  Margo