Re: [S-R] new member

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 4, 2008
      I'm on the fly today, so please excuse some short comments; I don't
      mean to come across as abrupt.

      "Lepus" is Latin for "hare"; leporis is indeed the genitive singular.
      The name might in fact be Latin, or might be a coincidence of spelling.

      Re: the IGI: never take it as gospel. Some people submit shoddy
      work, eg you find your 3 x great-grandmother's birthdate! Hooray!
      Being a good researcher, you manage to track down the submitter and
      ask for the source of the birthdate, and alas, they reply "oh, I took
      the marriage date and subtracted 16 years". Really.

      Gotta run; welcome to the new member!

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • L. LEPORIS
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 4, 2008
        Great points to remember, as I do when I find yet another piece of the puzzle. I'm always sceptical when finding something new. I am lucky that the family didn't move anywhere for such a long time while in Pivnice. I am taking it one step at a time to go back perhaps to Presov. We'll see.

        Ludovit

        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 27, 2011
          Hello,
          After a long absence I am returning to your group. I look forward to
          learning and sharing.
          The family names in my Slovak heritage are: KOPERVAS(Z), MAKUCH,
          CALFA , SZABOCIK, from the villages of CIERNE POLE and PAVLOVCE nad
          UHOM.

          I was very fortunate to have met some close relatives (first cousin
          once removed) on the KOPERVAS side on 2 trips to Slovakia.
          Sadly,this cousin passed away 3 yrs. ago. The information and history
          she shared could only get back to my great-grandmothers CALFA AND
          SZABOCIK. I hope to learn the names of g.g.grandparents.

          Bernardine
        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 27, 2011
            Bernardine,
            Good new for you.
            Pavlovce nad Uhom records are online. http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#w=0&p=waypoint&s=waypointsOnly&c=fs%3A1554443 This link will hopefully open on the page for the online records that lists the different denominations. Click on Roman Catholic, then scroll down to Pavlovce nad Uhom, click on it to open the record files.
            The 1995 Slovak Census data base says that in Pavlovce nad Uhom there lived 13 Calfa and 12 Calfova and 14 Sabovcik and 13 Sabovcikova. You difficulty will be sorting your family out from those records. The data base had no listing for Kopervasz. The surname Makuch had 52 listings in 24 locations. Of the top ten locations 7 were in districts of far eastern Slovakia. Neither of your places were listed in the top ten.

            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 28, 2011
              >>> The family names in my Slovak heritage are: KOPERVAS(Z), MAKUCH,
              CALFA , SZABOCIK, from the villages of CIERNE POLE and PAVLOVCE nad UHOM. <<<

              It would be best to start a new thread rather than hijacking an existing one. That way, your replies will be segregated and grouped with the question/issue.

              What RELIGION was the family. RC records for Pavlovce nad uhom are online.