Correspondence with Slovakia

  • Tom Geiss
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11 3:06 PM
      In my recent correspondence with the Archives, I had something brought home to me. In Slovakia, they do things the opposite of what we do in the U.S.
      Where we put the house number first , and then the name of the street, they put the street name first, followed by the number.
      Same with the city and zip code. They put the zip code number first , followed by the name of the city.
      I received a letter from them recently, that, if it hadn't been "Registered", might not have gotten here. As it is, it took twice as long to arrive.
      Tom

    • bike_for_life2003
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 12 6:24 AM
        Tom et al;

        Your experience with the European method of addressing post. The
        British use the same basic system we do in the US but in every other
        country where I have lived/worked in the 20+ years I spent there
        addresses mail using the street name then number and preceding the
        city name with the postal/zip code.

        The US Postal Service is well aware of this difference in addressing
        and I've had lots of mail from friends in Europe that arrived within
        what one might consider normal transit time. What probably slowed
        down your correspondence from Slovakia was the fact that it was
        registered. Counterintuitively, registered mail takes quite a bit
        longer than regular mail because it is not handled by automated means
        and must be accounted for by number at each stop in its journey. It
        is the safest way to ensure something gets to someone but it is
        definitely slower.

        Paul in NW Florida