Re: New & researching Zemplen Abauj area

  • lisa elzeini
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 9, 2008
      Hi! Maxine,

      You asked if I had Gulyassy in my family.

      My great grandfather came to America as Janos Gulyas, but on his naturaliztion papers it was Janos Gujas. Today it is written Gulish. (also was Gulosh when my mom was young)
      And curious thing is, I recently discovered another way it was spelled. After your last response I happen to re-look at the 1930 Census for Perth Amboy and the name was written as Gulissy. On the document he hand writing is sloppy and I never paid full attention to it.

      I don't know much about the cemetery of St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church. Last year I tried to find my great grandfather DZSUPINKA's (JUPINKA) grave but couldn't locate it. I tried to contact the church via telephone to inquire about records but had no luck at that either. Maybe in the fall I will try again.

      My family in Perth Amboy started out on Goodwin Street and also Sherman Street.
      Later one of my Aunt Clara lived on Louis Street Hopelawn near the cemetery we are speaking of. Also my Uncle John lived on Howard Street Hopelawn. I, myself, grew up close to the Hopelawn border with Perth Amboy-- Harding Ave.

      Lisa

    • maxine
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 10, 2008
        Hi, Do you know the village your grandfather came from? Also, who did you speak to at church, St Johns? maxine

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 12, 2008
          Hi! Maxine,
          Mihaly Dzsupinka (Jupinka) last residence was Tokaj (Tokay)  Hungary in Zemplen. I do not know if that is where he was born.  I don't know much  about him because he died before my mom, his granddaughter  was born.  I don't even know his exact death date.  I just know my mom says he's burried in the cemetery that we are talking about.  I know the time frame would have been that he died after my Uncle Steve Jupinka was born  Jan 1913  and before 1923 which would have been about the time my great grandmother had another child with her 2nd husband George Orosz.
          I don't remember who I spoke to, but it was someone who was trying to access the cemetery records, but she had trouble hearing me over the phone.  She said it would be better to come in person which I couldn't do because I was caring for my mom who has cancer.
          It's a long story, but I originally was searching in the wrong cemetery because between information on mapquest and a genealogy website put me on the wrong side of Florida Grove Road and eventually I was communicating via email with the secretary Anna of the Ukrainian Catholic Church Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Cemetery, Florida Grove Road Hopelawn, NJ  and she told me to look for his grave in the cemetery directly across Florida Grove Road---which belonged to St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church.  Mapquest just labels both sides as Ukrainian Cemetery.  It was very confusing to me.  But  maybe it was meant for me to find Anna, because in our communications I found out she knew my mom's best friend during the 1960-70's,  Stella Gadek, and said she was a parishoner there.
          Since you know more, can you look on mapquest and tell me if St. John the Baptist Cemetery is bounded by Pfeiffer Blvd, Florida Grove Rd, Columbus Drive and a resevoir.  Anna said to look there.  I was on the side that was Pfeiffer Blvd., Florida Grove Rd., Clyde Ave,  and Herbert Street.
          In my youth I would walk past these cemeteries as I walked down Pfeiffer Blvd to get to Two Guys to go shopping from my house on Harding Ave. Perth Amboy.
          Lisa
        • maxine
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 14, 2008
            Hi Lisa, the cemetery is located on Pheiffer & Florida Grove. There are 2 for the Orthodox church. The new one is directly across from the old one. good luck maxine