Re: New & researching Zemplen Abauj area

  • lisa elzeini
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hi! Maxine,
      I was born in Perth Amboy, I moved before high school.
      My Great Grandfather Mihaly Dzsupinka is burried in a cemetery on Pfieffer Blvd and Florida Grove Road. (Hopelawn/Perth Amboy) St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church in Perth Amboy, New Jersey is one of the oldest parishes in the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese. The parish was founded in 1897. 145 Broad Street , Perth Amboy, New Jersey 08861.

      Lisa

    • lisa elzeini

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2, 2008
          Hi Lisa. That is the SAME cemetery that my whole family is buried at. Also, I and my family have always gone to St Johns!
          My grandfather is John Salala and my grandmother is Julia Velas Sasala. They lived on the corner of State St and Mechanic. My grandfather owned Sasala's Tavern. Across the street was SMITHS Drug Store and 2 houses down was a school which I attended until about 5th grade.
          I still attend St Johns and have relatives living in Perth Amboy and the area. My grandfathers children are:

          Sasala
          Anna Dosil married
          Julia Doyle married
          Mary Fedak (Picone) my mother
          Helen Bukarica
          John Sasala

          Grandfather came from Jakubany in Slovikia.
          One of the names you wrote starting with a G, could that be possibly be Gulyassy?

          My grandfather John had 1 brother, Stephen from Perth Amboy and 2 sisters who ended up in Lopez, Pa.
          The sisters are Katherine Sasala Decker and Anna Sasala Decker. 2 sisters marrying 2 brothers.

          Do you think your Mom could remember any of this people?

          Also had an Aunt Julia Yadlouski.

          thanks maxine sasala

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 2008
            Maxine,
            I see you mentioned the name Gulyassy below. Is this a surname name in your
            family tree? I too have that name in my family tree. Maria Varsa married
            Steve Dulacy, which through much research, we found to be an Americanization
            of this Slovak name. Dulacy is also spelled Tollassy, Tolasi, Gulyassy,
            Gyulassy.

            Marilyn

            _____

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 3, 2008
              Hi, Gulyassy is the name of my great, grandmother, Suzzanna. She was born in Jakubany, Slovakia. She married my grandfather Elias Sasala, or sometimes Schschla. When he passed Suzzanna married a Compel from the same village. In 1924 she came to Perth Amboy, NJ with Compel. Stayed a while and went to her dauthers in Lopez, Pa, Kathleen Sasala Decker or Deker.

              Where do your family names comes from? Maxine

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 3, 2008
                My Varsa family came from the Teplicska/Markusovce area (near Spiska Nova
                Ves). The Gulyassy branch had many from Kotterbach (Rudnany), also in the
                Spis area. A friend I met while researching that branch has a rather large
                tree posted on the internet, which I'm sure you've found by now.

                Marilyn

                _____

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4, 2008
                  Hi, can you send me your friends e-mail on her family tree? I do not have it. thanks maxine

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 8, 2008
                    Hi Maxine,
                    You can see my friend's work (John Yagersky) at
                    http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET
                    <http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=yagersk
                    y&id=I648> &db=yagersky&id=I648

                    Look at the descendants of Gyorgy TOLLASSY , making sure to read his notes
                    where you will find his notation about the various spellings of the name he
                    found, Gulyassy being one of them.

                    Happy Hunting,
                    Marilyn

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 9, 2008
                      Hi! Maxine,

                      You asked if I had Gulyassy in my family.

                      My great grandfather came to America as Janos Gulyas, but on his naturaliztion papers it was Janos Gujas. Today it is written Gulish. (also was Gulosh when my mom was young)
                      And curious thing is, I recently discovered another way it was spelled. After your last response I happen to re-look at the 1930 Census for Perth Amboy and the name was written as Gulissy. On the document he hand writing is sloppy and I never paid full attention to it.

                      I don't know much about the cemetery of St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church. Last year I tried to find my great grandfather DZSUPINKA's (JUPINKA) grave but couldn't locate it. I tried to contact the church via telephone to inquire about records but had no luck at that either. Maybe in the fall I will try again.

                      My family in Perth Amboy started out on Goodwin Street and also Sherman Street.
                      Later one of my Aunt Clara lived on Louis Street Hopelawn near the cemetery we are speaking of. Also my Uncle John lived on Howard Street Hopelawn. I, myself, grew up close to the Hopelawn border with Perth Amboy-- Harding Ave.

                      Lisa

                    • maxine
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 10, 2008
                        Hi, Do you know the village your grandfather came from? Also, who did you speak to at church, St Johns? maxine

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 12, 2008
                          Hi! Maxine,
                          Mihaly Dzsupinka (Jupinka) last residence was Tokaj (Tokay)  Hungary in Zemplen. I do not know if that is where he was born.  I don't know much  about him because he died before my mom, his granddaughter  was born.  I don't even know his exact death date.  I just know my mom says he's burried in the cemetery that we are talking about.  I know the time frame would have been that he died after my Uncle Steve Jupinka was born  Jan 1913  and before 1923 which would have been about the time my great grandmother had another child with her 2nd husband George Orosz.
                          I don't remember who I spoke to, but it was someone who was trying to access the cemetery records, but she had trouble hearing me over the phone.  She said it would be better to come in person which I couldn't do because I was caring for my mom who has cancer.
                          It's a long story, but I originally was searching in the wrong cemetery because between information on mapquest and a genealogy website put me on the wrong side of Florida Grove Road and eventually I was communicating via email with the secretary Anna of the Ukrainian Catholic Church Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Cemetery, Florida Grove Road Hopelawn, NJ  and she told me to look for his grave in the cemetery directly across Florida Grove Road---which belonged to St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church.  Mapquest just labels both sides as Ukrainian Cemetery.  It was very confusing to me.  But  maybe it was meant for me to find Anna, because in our communications I found out she knew my mom's best friend during the 1960-70's,  Stella Gadek, and said she was a parishoner there.
                          Since you know more, can you look on mapquest and tell me if St. John the Baptist Cemetery is bounded by Pfeiffer Blvd, Florida Grove Rd, Columbus Drive and a resevoir.  Anna said to look there.  I was on the side that was Pfeiffer Blvd., Florida Grove Rd., Clyde Ave,  and Herbert Street.
                          In my youth I would walk past these cemeteries as I walked down Pfeiffer Blvd to get to Two Guys to go shopping from my house on Harding Ave. Perth Amboy.
                          Lisa
                        • maxine
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 14, 2008
                            Hi Lisa, the cemetery is located on Pheiffer & Florida Grove. There are 2 for the Orthodox church. The new one is directly across from the old one. good luck maxine