Re: [S-R] Nice to meet you! KISSEL & BARAN

  • Margo Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2008
      Welcome, Angie!  You will find that this is is an interesting and helpful group.

      My husband's ancestors were from the Turiec Valley, SK  -- in particular the Catholic parish of Turciansky Dur.  His maternal grandmother's half brother was Jan Danovsky who lived in Moskovec.  Danovsky's daughter Helena married a fellow named Baran.  Widow Helena Baranova is now in her 80s and lives in Banska Bystrica.  She has a phone, but I have not called her because my Slovak language skills are not adequate.  Helena's daughter lives in Martin.

      Have you asked Helene Cincebeaux to look for your surnames in her Slovak Pride database?

      Margo

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 29, 2008
        Hi Angie

        Here is a Wesmoreland County (Pa) website that may be able to help you.

        http://westmorelandweb400.us:8088/EGSPublicAccess.htm

        Jean

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 30, 2008
          I have Kissely in my family tree, and normally wouldn't mention it, but I know that the final i/y sometimes changed. Mine were also connected with Spis (Spisske Podhradie, to be more precise), with one branch of the family at some point moving to Budapest and having a pastry shop there in the late 19th century, according to the stories passed down in my family.

          Best wishes,

          James

          Dr. James F. McGrath
          Department of Philosophy and Religion
          Butler University, 4600 Sunset Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46208
          E-mail: jfmcgrat@...
          Web page: http://blue.butler.edu/~jfmcgrat/

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 30, 2008
            Hi James:

            My KISSEL ancestors from SPIS are very near SPISSKE PODHRADIE in the village
            of RICHNAVA (KLUKNAVA parish). I haven't been able to trace their lineage
            back yet because I have been working on other names in my lineage, but I
            thought I would mention it for future reference.

            David

          • angiekb2
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 4, 2008
              Thanks for the info and advice everyone! It gives me a great idea of
              where to go next.