Re: [S-R] New & researching Zemplen Abauj area

  • maxine
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 29, 2008
      Hi, do you know the street the Cemetery was located on? The name of their church. My family came from Perth Amboy, NJ and and there were 2 Rusyn churchs. One Orthodox, around 1930, and one under the Pope after 1930. Do you remember anything about where their lived, etc. and perhaps it will shake my brain!! maxine sasala

      From: Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>
      Subject: RE: [S-R] Re: Diacritics
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, June 24, 2008, 3:51 PM

      Dobry den Margo and everyone,
      How much does that program cost and what are its perks? I am scratching my head over the fact that it will not take "foreign" characters- But then does yahoo in plaintext? I was thinking of giving it a try- as I use a different regional setting for English, Slovak, Czech, and German. (I learned to type on both qwerty and qwertz keyboards, and some special characters take a touch of hunting for-especially in German.)
      So consider this a test. I am going to send us special charachters and let me know if you guys can see them! If not, just erase this from your email, but we will see if this will make name-writig on this forum more "interesting. " :-)
      TEST:
      Slovak µ¹è»¾ýôòäúáí«È©®¾¥
      Czech +ì¹èøýáíéúùÌ«È©ÒØ
      German öäüßöäüß

      Like I said, I have turned off the formatting on my yahoo, and this looked just fine on my end. Let's see what happens when it gets put into the wash!
      Benisko
      From: Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@ iabsi.com>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, June 23, 2008, 4:27 AM

      Hello Margo,
      What does the publisher of FTM have to say about all of this? I presume you
      paid good money for this program. You at least deserve their help. Foreign
      characters should be an essential component of any genealogy program.
      Bill

      From: Sue <sueseyes@sbcglobal . net>
      Subject: [S-R] Re: Diacritics
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Saturday, June 21, 2008, 10:24 AM

      Hi Margo,

      Found these diacritics sites for windows. Hope these help.

      International Accent Marks and Diacriticals
      http://www.starr. net/is/type/ altnum.htm

      Windows - Alt Key Numeric Codes
      (http://tlt.its. psu.edu/suggesti ons/internationa l/accents/ codealt.html
      )

      Sue
      Don't be afraid, cemetery ghosts are only genealogists with lanterns.
      Ancestor Hunters Genealogy Group
      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/ancestorhu nters/

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com, Margo Smith <margolane61@ ...>
      wrote:

      > Among this group of experts, I hope there is someone who can point
      me in the right direction.

      > I use Family Tree Maker (version 9 or 10) and have had great
      difficulty with Slovak diacritics on the names of people and places.
      Twice I contacted Family Tree Maker, who tole me that they do not
      support Slovak diacritics. I discovered that it is possible to cut
      and paste MOST of the Slovak diacritics from Word into Family Tree
      Maker. However, c with caron seems impossible. I asked about this
      at the CSI conference in Madison last October. and I also asked my
      computer wizard friends. None of them have been able to do this
      either.

      > My husband believes that one should be able to make a macro
      consisting of c backspace caron, although we don't know how to do it.
      (As opposed to using the ASCII code for the symbol of c with caron,
      which is what I tried to do.)

      > Have any of you been able to solve this problem? Thank you for any
      insight you might have on this problem.

      > Margo

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (28)

      2a.
      Nice to meet you! KISSEL & BARAN Posted by: "angiekb2" jajabishop@... angiekb2 Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:15 pm (PDT) Greetings! I'm Angie Kissel-Bishop from WA and I joined the group
      about a couple of weeks ago and finally got to sit down at the
      computer, and I wanted to let you know where I am on my research. I
      have traced my KISSEL ancestors as far back as Michael and Mary
      Kissel of Pennsylvania. They came to America from "Hungary" between
      1887 and 1892 and had lived in Westmoreland and Fayette (Masontown)
      counties. I was told that Mary died around 1913, but I don't know
      the death date of Michael and I also cannot find Mary's maiden name.
      Their children were John Andrew Kissel (my great-grandfather) who was
      married to Anna Baran, Katie (Kissel-Buday of Brownsville, PA), and
      Mary (Kissel-Harvan? of Ohio). I believe that Michael also had a
      brother by the name of John Kissel who's wife's name was Mary and
      their children were Mary, Stephen, Sophia and John. I have traced my
      BARAN ancestors as far back as Joseph Frank Baran and Susan (Kikta)
      Baran. They came here from "Austria" between 1889 and 1891 and were
      naturalized in 1896, but I cannot find any records to show me exactly
      what part of Austria-Hungary they came from. Their children are Mary
      (Baran, Zoldak), Anna (Baran, Myorski, Kissel -my great grandmother),
      Margaret (Baran, Jankura), Elizabeth (Baran, Myorsky), Katie (Baran,
      Urbany), and Steve Baran. Joseph Baran was a blacksmith in Masontown
      PA and I believe he brought his mother Anna Baran there in 1906 and I
      think he has a brother named John Baran. WHEW! I received most of my
      information from my great-aunt, but I've also been able to locate
      some information on US census charts. I've tried looking for
      birth/death/marriage records on ancestry.com and other websites
      (since I'm sort of house-bound at the moment)as well as baptism
      records, etc..., but I've had no luck. I've also been unable to find
      naturalization or immigration/emigration records for any of my
      ancestors, I just know that they all spoke Slovak. I would really
      like to be able to find out exactly where they came from so I can
      continue my research in the "old country," so if anyone knows any
      info about my ancestors or can point me in the right direction to
      continue my search, I'd appreciate it greatly! Thanks for your time!

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (2)

      2b.
      Re: Nice to meet you! KISSEL & BARAN Posted by: "david1law@..." david1law@... davidsadventure4 Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:40 pm (PDT) The surname KISSEL appears in my direct lineage. My KISSEL line is from the
      SPIS region of Slovakia. Please feel free to contact me directly.

      David

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (2)

      Recent Activity

      6
      New Members

      Visit Your Group
      Yahoo! Groups
      Wellness Spot
      A resource for Curves
      and weight loss.

      Special K Group
      on Yahoo! Groups
      Learn how others
      are losing pounds.

      Yahoo! Groups
      Find balance
      between nutrition,
      activity & well-being.

      Need to Reply?

      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      MARKETPLACE

    • lisa elzeini
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
        Hi! Maxine,
        I was born in Perth Amboy, I moved before high school.
        My Great Grandfather Mihaly Dzsupinka is burried in a cemetery on Pfieffer Blvd and Florida Grove Road. (Hopelawn/Perth Amboy) St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church in Perth Amboy, New Jersey is one of the oldest parishes in the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese. The parish was founded in 1897. 145 Broad Street , Perth Amboy, New Jersey 08861.

        Lisa

      • lisa elzeini

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 2008
            Hi Lisa. That is the SAME cemetery that my whole family is buried at. Also, I and my family have always gone to St Johns!
            My grandfather is John Salala and my grandmother is Julia Velas Sasala. They lived on the corner of State St and Mechanic. My grandfather owned Sasala's Tavern. Across the street was SMITHS Drug Store and 2 houses down was a school which I attended until about 5th grade.
            I still attend St Johns and have relatives living in Perth Amboy and the area. My grandfathers children are:

            Sasala
            Anna Dosil married
            Julia Doyle married
            Mary Fedak (Picone) my mother
            Helen Bukarica
            John Sasala

            Grandfather came from Jakubany in Slovikia.
            One of the names you wrote starting with a G, could that be possibly be Gulyassy?

            My grandfather John had 1 brother, Stephen from Perth Amboy and 2 sisters who ended up in Lopez, Pa.
            The sisters are Katherine Sasala Decker and Anna Sasala Decker. 2 sisters marrying 2 brothers.

            Do you think your Mom could remember any of this people?

            Also had an Aunt Julia Yadlouski.

            thanks maxine sasala

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 2008
              Maxine,
              I see you mentioned the name Gulyassy below. Is this a surname name in your
              family tree? I too have that name in my family tree. Maria Varsa married
              Steve Dulacy, which through much research, we found to be an Americanization
              of this Slovak name. Dulacy is also spelled Tollassy, Tolasi, Gulyassy,
              Gyulassy.

              Marilyn

              _____

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 3, 2008
                Hi, Gulyassy is the name of my great, grandmother, Suzzanna. She was born in Jakubany, Slovakia. She married my grandfather Elias Sasala, or sometimes Schschla. When he passed Suzzanna married a Compel from the same village. In 1924 she came to Perth Amboy, NJ with Compel. Stayed a while and went to her dauthers in Lopez, Pa, Kathleen Sasala Decker or Deker.

                Where do your family names comes from? Maxine

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 3, 2008
                  My Varsa family came from the Teplicska/Markusovce area (near Spiska Nova
                  Ves). The Gulyassy branch had many from Kotterbach (Rudnany), also in the
                  Spis area. A friend I met while researching that branch has a rather large
                  tree posted on the internet, which I'm sure you've found by now.

                  Marilyn

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 4, 2008
                    Hi, can you send me your friends e-mail on her family tree? I do not have it. thanks maxine

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 8, 2008
                      Hi Maxine,
                      You can see my friend's work (John Yagersky) at
                      http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET
                      <http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=yagersk
                      y&id=I648> &db=yagersky&id=I648

                      Look at the descendants of Gyorgy TOLLASSY , making sure to read his notes
                      where you will find his notation about the various spellings of the name he
                      found, Gulyassy being one of them.

                      Happy Hunting,
                      Marilyn

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 9, 2008
                        Hi! Maxine,

                        You asked if I had Gulyassy in my family.

                        My great grandfather came to America as Janos Gulyas, but on his naturaliztion papers it was Janos Gujas. Today it is written Gulish. (also was Gulosh when my mom was young)
                        And curious thing is, I recently discovered another way it was spelled. After your last response I happen to re-look at the 1930 Census for Perth Amboy and the name was written as Gulissy. On the document he hand writing is sloppy and I never paid full attention to it.

                        I don't know much about the cemetery of St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church. Last year I tried to find my great grandfather DZSUPINKA's (JUPINKA) grave but couldn't locate it. I tried to contact the church via telephone to inquire about records but had no luck at that either. Maybe in the fall I will try again.

                        My family in Perth Amboy started out on Goodwin Street and also Sherman Street.
                        Later one of my Aunt Clara lived on Louis Street Hopelawn near the cemetery we are speaking of. Also my Uncle John lived on Howard Street Hopelawn. I, myself, grew up close to the Hopelawn border with Perth Amboy-- Harding Ave.

                        Lisa

                      • maxine
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 10, 2008
                          Hi, Do you know the village your grandfather came from? Also, who did you speak to at church, St Johns? maxine

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 12, 2008
                            Hi! Maxine,
                            Mihaly Dzsupinka (Jupinka) last residence was Tokaj (Tokay)  Hungary in Zemplen. I do not know if that is where he was born.  I don't know much  about him because he died before my mom, his granddaughter  was born.  I don't even know his exact death date.  I just know my mom says he's burried in the cemetery that we are talking about.  I know the time frame would have been that he died after my Uncle Steve Jupinka was born  Jan 1913  and before 1923 which would have been about the time my great grandmother had another child with her 2nd husband George Orosz.
                            I don't remember who I spoke to, but it was someone who was trying to access the cemetery records, but she had trouble hearing me over the phone.  She said it would be better to come in person which I couldn't do because I was caring for my mom who has cancer.
                            It's a long story, but I originally was searching in the wrong cemetery because between information on mapquest and a genealogy website put me on the wrong side of Florida Grove Road and eventually I was communicating via email with the secretary Anna of the Ukrainian Catholic Church Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Cemetery, Florida Grove Road Hopelawn, NJ  and she told me to look for his grave in the cemetery directly across Florida Grove Road---which belonged to St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church.  Mapquest just labels both sides as Ukrainian Cemetery.  It was very confusing to me.  But  maybe it was meant for me to find Anna, because in our communications I found out she knew my mom's best friend during the 1960-70's,  Stella Gadek, and said she was a parishoner there.
                            Since you know more, can you look on mapquest and tell me if St. John the Baptist Cemetery is bounded by Pfeiffer Blvd, Florida Grove Rd, Columbus Drive and a resevoir.  Anna said to look there.  I was on the side that was Pfeiffer Blvd., Florida Grove Rd., Clyde Ave,  and Herbert Street.
                            In my youth I would walk past these cemeteries as I walked down Pfeiffer Blvd to get to Two Guys to go shopping from my house on Harding Ave. Perth Amboy.
                            Lisa
                          • maxine
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 14, 2008
                              Hi Lisa, the cemetery is located on Pheiffer & Florida Grove. There are 2 for the Orthodox church. The new one is directly across from the old one. good luck maxine