Re: [S-R] Nice to meet you! KISSEL & BARAN

  • christine mackara
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2008
      Hi Angie,

      I have a Mary (Maria) Kissel/ Kislecka in my family, but don't know a lot about her. She married a man by the name of Kissel and moved from Philadelphia to Newark, NJ. She died in a nursinghome before 1978. This from correspondence with a niece of our grandmother in 1978, who lived in Philadelphia, Pa.
      Maria's maiden name is Maria Krisso/ Kris, born 10 May 1877 in Secovce, SK, daughter of Michal Kris/Krisso and Terézia Konter. ( this from the State Archive in Kosice) She is the sister of our grandmother , Susanna Makara, nee Krisso.

      Christine

    • Margo Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 29, 2008
        Welcome, Angie!  You will find that this is is an interesting and helpful group.

        My husband's ancestors were from the Turiec Valley, SK  -- in particular the Catholic parish of Turciansky Dur.  His maternal grandmother's half brother was Jan Danovsky who lived in Moskovec.  Danovsky's daughter Helena married a fellow named Baran.  Widow Helena Baranova is now in her 80s and lives in Banska Bystrica.  She has a phone, but I have not called her because my Slovak language skills are not adequate.  Helena's daughter lives in Martin.

        Have you asked Helene Cincebeaux to look for your surnames in her Slovak Pride database?

        Margo

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 29, 2008
          Hi Angie

          Here is a Wesmoreland County (Pa) website that may be able to help you.

          http://westmorelandweb400.us:8088/EGSPublicAccess.htm

          Jean

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 30, 2008
            I have Kissely in my family tree, and normally wouldn't mention it, but I know that the final i/y sometimes changed. Mine were also connected with Spis (Spisske Podhradie, to be more precise), with one branch of the family at some point moving to Budapest and having a pastry shop there in the late 19th century, according to the stories passed down in my family.

            Best wishes,

            James

            Dr. James F. McGrath
            Department of Philosophy and Religion
            Butler University, 4600 Sunset Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46208
            E-mail: jfmcgrat@...
            Web page: http://blue.butler.edu/~jfmcgrat/

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 30, 2008
              Hi James:

              My KISSEL ancestors from SPIS are very near SPISSKE PODHRADIE in the village
              of RICHNAVA (KLUKNAVA parish). I haven't been able to trace their lineage
              back yet because I have been working on other names in my lineage, but I
              thought I would mention it for future reference.

              David

            • angiekb2
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 4, 2008
                Thanks for the info and advice everyone! It gives me a great idea of
                where to go next.