New & researching Zemplen Abauj area

  • lisa elzeini
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 29, 2008
      My name is Lisa and I have been researching my family tree for 2years or more. It was a pleasant way to spend time conversing with my ailing mother who came to live with me while battling cancer. She is still struggling with her cancer.

      Researching: GULYAS (Gujas, Gulosh, Gulish) DZSUPINKA (Jupinka), KULCSAR (Kulchar) OROSZ.

      Family resided mostly in Fayette County, Pennsylvania. Middlesex County, New Jersey. At times sided in Logan & Pocahontas, West Virginia, Buffalo, Schenectady & Yonkers, New York.
      (Possible family ties in Youngstown, OH and Johnstown, NY)

      Origin in Hungary:: Tokaj (Tokay), Erdobenye, Sima, and Varalja, Hungary
      Zemplen & Abauj area of Hungary.

      My Great Grandfather’s name was Janos GULYAS (John Gulish I) he was born 3 Aug 1880 in Sima, Hungary. He arrived in USA about 1903 or 1904. Eventually resided in a coal patch called Fancy Hill located in Springhill Township in Fayette County, Pennsylvania. His wife Klara (b. 1881) immigrated with their son Janos GULYAS (John Gulish II) born 22 Feb 1905 in Erdobenye, Hungary, arriving in NY 25 Sep 1905. Klara and Janos had another son named George Gulish born 6 Feb 1908 in USA.
      Klara died shortly after George’s birth. . Janos Gulyas I then married a woman named Teresia (last name unsure; my mother said it sounded like broom, may be Brume ????) Teresia was born ~ 1878 in Varalja, Hungary. They got married in Ohio. The Gulyas family moved around a lot in their early years in America. Logan, Monitor, Pocahontas —all in West Virginia, Spring Hill Twp., Brownstone and Redstone --- all in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, Buffalo NY then finally settling in Perth Amboy, Middlesex County NJ.

      My Great Grandfather Mihaly DZSUPINKA married Maria KULCHAR. They married in the old country. Mihaly came first to USA later Maria and two daughters (Maria – born 13 Apr 1902 & Anna –born 24 Aug 1903 ) followed arriving in the USA on 28 July 1904. They had four more children in the USA (Louis, Ilona, Elizabeth, and Stephen) Mihaly died between 1912-1920 Maria KULCHAR DZSUPINKA then married—George Orosz and had a daughter Margaret.
      George Orosz owned a farm around Watertown NY area but lost the farm around the depression era. Later this farm would become part of Fort Drum Reservation. Also had ties to Fayette County, Pennsylvania (a coal mining area) finally settling in Perth Amboy & Woodbridge area of Middlesex County in New Jersey. Maria DZSUPINKA Orosz had 6 children from her first marriage. (Maria, Anna, Louis, Helen(Ilona), Elizabeth,and Stephen. DZSUPINKA now spelled Jupinka.
      Maria Kulchar Jupinka OROSZ had a sister who came over in 1956 to Camp Kilmer, NJ later this sister and her daughter were moved to Texas. My mom said her name was Izzy or Gizzy.
      Maria Kulchar Jupinka OROSZ also had a sister named Elizabeth who married George Morgan (of Hungary)
      I believe Mihaly DZSUPINKA was Carpatho-Russian (Ruthenian) because he is buried in a Carpatho- Russian cemetery in Perth Amboy.

      .
      Researching Surnames:
      GULYAS, GUJAS, GULISH,
      DZSUPINKA, JUPINKA,
      KULCHAR, KULCSAR,
      OROSZ
      BARBAREK, MESAROS, PAWELCZYK, MORGAN

      Close Friends of the family: TOROK, ZAYAS, VISZAKOI, VIG
      Family had ties to someone with a farm in Rocky Hill, NJ where they would picnic summers of the 1940’s. There is a street in that town named TOTH today.

      I would love to learn more about my heritage. I would love to know more about the history of the area my family came from in Hungary. I am especially curious about the extremely small village my Great grandfather was born in - Sima, Hungary which today has a population of 24 and only 2 roads in this village. Are there any good books in English on the history of this area?

      I believe at least part of my family is Rusyn, Ruthenian even though we were told they were Hungarian our whole life. My mom’s side of family was Greek Catholic.

      Lisa

      SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com wrote: Czech and Slovak Republic Genealogy
      Messages In This Digest (3 Messages)
      1.1.
      Re: Diacritics From: Margo Smith
      2a.
      Nice to meet you! KISSEL & BARAN From: angiekb2
      2b.
      Re: Nice to meet you! KISSEL & BARAN From: david1law@...
      View All Topics | Create New Topic
      Messages
      1.1.
      Re: Diacritics Posted by: "Margo Smith" margolane61@... margolane61 Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:40 am (PDT)
      Dobre rano Ben and Everyone

      Ben, I use Family Tree Maker to generate pedigree charts, but we all know that FTM doesn't accept all SK diacritics. One kind of chart it generates is called an hourglass, which includes ancestors as well as descendants of a particular person.

      My copy of FTM came to me as a gift 5 years ago so I don't know what my friend paid, but my recollection is that the price is < $100. Perks? What do you mean by that? The new version of FTM (I think 2008) came out last fall and has a bug which the company does not intend to correct: I am told that when importing data from previous versions surnames with suffixes (e.g., Senior, Junior), the program does not do it correctly.

      Another quirk of FTM is that if a surname has an alias, e.g. Hlavnya alias Vozzar, FTM will index it under the alias instead of the surname. And in the index, the surnames beginning with S with macken are all listed after S with no diactiric.

      Your test characters came through fine but do not seem to include e with acute accent, as in Dubove and Slovenske Pravno, which both have the accent.

      I'm getting so confused, I'm ready to pour myself a cold glass of Zlaty Bazant (except that it is too early in the morning for pivo!). Yes, I'm sure it makes a difference for people who use Mac, XP, or Vista. Just because yahoo does something, that does not mean that something else, like FTM, will also do it.

      Now that I am near the conclusion of my Slovak project, except for maintenance, I am dealing with the diacritic problem differently than I would if I were just starting out. I use FTM for ancestral and descent charts Fortunately, there are few words which require c with macken -- the other diacritics I need I can cut and paste from Word. Those charts can not be cut and pasted into Word. So cut and paste works one way (into FTM) but not the reverse (into Word). I will scan the charts and insert them into a large Word document. As for the family group sheet charts, I am re-typing them in Word. Ouch! However, this solves several problems (1) diacritics, because there are more c with macken on these charts, (2) being able to differentiate births from baptisms and deaths from burials on each chart as appropriate, (3) saves paper and looks more uniform with the narrative descriptions of the 95 family groups.

      Happy weekend, everyone.

      Margo

      From: Margo Smith <margolane61@ yahoo.com>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, June 24, 2008, 9:59 PM

      Dobre den, Everyone

      I apologize for the delay in my reply. I was tending to my vegetable garden, a good Slovak activity, and visiting a Slovak friend in the hospital. And I thank you for your helpful replies.

      Yes, Bill, I contacted FTM twice about this. They told me that they only support the Western European character set. I agree that all the "foreign characters should be an essential component of any genealogy program." After all, most of us are descendants of immigrants, and not all from English speaking places.

      Yes, Polly, ultimately I will upgrade my FTM, after I personally check that all the Slovak diacritics I need work. I'll probably leap to a major upgrade of hardware, XP to Vista, FTM and other software, etc. at the same time.

      In the meantime, my system is not very efficient, but it works.

      Margo

      From: Sue <sueseyes@sbcglobal . net>
      Subject: [S-R] Re: Diacritics
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Saturday, June 21, 2008, 10:24 AM

      Hi Margo,

      Found these diacritics sites for windows. Hope these help.

      International Accent Marks and Diacriticals
      http://www.starr. net/is/type/ altnum.htm

      Windows - Alt Key Numeric Codes
      (http://tlt.its. psu.edu/suggesti ons/internationa l/accents/ codealt.html
      )

      Sue
      Don't be afraid, cemetery ghosts are only genealogists with lanterns.
      Ancestor Hunters Genealogy Group
      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/ancestorhu nters/

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com, Margo Smith <margolane61@ ...>
      wrote:

      > Among this group of experts, I hope there is someone who can point
      me in the right direction.

      > I use Family Tree Maker (version 9 or 10) and have had great
      difficulty with Slovak diacritics on the names of people and places.
      Twice I contacted Family Tree Maker, who tole me that they do not
      support Slovak diacritics. I discovered that it is possible to cut
      and paste MOST of the Slovak diacritics from Word into Family Tree
      Maker. However, c with caron seems impossible. I asked about this
      at the CSI conference in Madison last October. and I also asked my
      computer wizard friends. None of them have been able to do this
      either.

      > My husband believes that one should be able to make a macro
      consisting of c backspace caron, although we don't know how to do it.
      (As opposed to using the ASCII code for the symbol of c with caron,
      which is what I tried to do.)

      > Have any of you been able to solve this problem? Thank you for any
      insight you might have on this problem.

      > Margo

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (28)

      2a.
      Nice to meet you! KISSEL & BARAN Posted by: "angiekb2" jajabishop@... angiekb2 Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:15 pm (PDT) Greetings! I'm Angie Kissel-Bishop from WA and I joined the group
      about a couple of weeks ago and finally got to sit down at the
      computer, and I wanted to let you know where I am on my research. I
      have traced my KISSEL ancestors as far back as Michael and Mary
      Kissel of Pennsylvania. They came to America from "Hungary" between
      1887 and 1892 and had lived in Westmoreland and Fayette (Masontown)
      counties. I was told that Mary died around 1913, but I don't know
      the death date of Michael and I also cannot find Mary's maiden name.
      Their children were John Andrew Kissel (my great-grandfather) who was
      married to Anna Baran, Katie (Kissel-Buday of Brownsville, PA), and
      Mary (Kissel-Harvan? of Ohio). I believe that Michael also had a
      brother by the name of John Kissel who's wife's name was Mary and
      their children were Mary, Stephen, Sophia and John. I have traced my
      BARAN ancestors as far back as Joseph Frank Baran and Susan (Kikta)
      Baran. They came here from "Austria" between 1889 and 1891 and were
      naturalized in 1896, but I cannot find any records to show me exactly
      what part of Austria-Hungary they came from. Their children are Mary
      (Baran, Zoldak), Anna (Baran, Myorski, Kissel -my great grandmother),
      Margaret (Baran, Jankura), Elizabeth (Baran, Myorsky), Katie (Baran,
      Urbany), and Steve Baran. Joseph Baran was a blacksmith in Masontown
      PA and I believe he brought his mother Anna Baran there in 1906 and I
      think he has a brother named John Baran. WHEW! I received most of my
      information from my great-aunt, but I've also been able to locate
      some information on US census charts. I've tried looking for
      birth/death/marriage records on ancestry.com and other websites
      (since I'm sort of house-bound at the moment)as well as baptism
      records, etc..., but I've had no luck. I've also been unable to find
      naturalization or immigration/emigration records for any of my
      ancestors, I just know that they all spoke Slovak. I would really
      like to be able to find out exactly where they came from so I can
      continue my research in the "old country," so if anyone knows any
      info about my ancestors or can point me in the right direction to
      continue my search, I'd appreciate it greatly! Thanks for your time!

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (2)

      2b.
      Re: Nice to meet you! KISSEL & BARAN Posted by: "david1law@..." david1law@... davidsadventure4 Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:40 pm (PDT) The surname KISSEL appears in my direct lineage. My KISSEL line is from the
      SPIS region of Slovakia. Please feel free to contact me directly.

      David

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (2)

      Recent Activity

      6
      New Members

      Visit Your Group
      Yahoo! Groups
      Wellness Spot
      A resource for Curves
      and weight loss.

      Special K Group
      on Yahoo! Groups
      Learn how others
      are losing pounds.

      Yahoo! Groups
      Find balance
      between nutrition,
      activity & well-being.

      Need to Reply?

      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      MARKETPLACE

    • maxine
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 29, 2008
        Hi, do you know the street the Cemetery was located on? The name of their church. My family came from Perth Amboy, NJ and and there were 2 Rusyn churchs. One Orthodox, around 1930, and one under the Pope after 1930. Do you remember anything about where their lived, etc. and perhaps it will shake my brain!! maxine sasala

        What does the publisher of FTM have to say about all of this? I presume you
        paid good money for this program. You at least deserve their help. Foreign
        characters should be an essential component of any genealogy program.
        Bill

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
          Hi! Maxine,
          I was born in Perth Amboy, I moved before high school.
          My Great Grandfather Mihaly Dzsupinka is burried in a cemetery on Pfieffer Blvd and Florida Grove Road. (Hopelawn/Perth Amboy) St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church in Perth Amboy, New Jersey is one of the oldest parishes in the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese. The parish was founded in 1897. 145 Broad Street , Perth Amboy, New Jersey 08861.

          Lisa

        • lisa elzeini

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 2008
              Hi Lisa. That is the SAME cemetery that my whole family is buried at. Also, I and my family have always gone to St Johns!
              My grandfather is John Salala and my grandmother is Julia Velas Sasala. They lived on the corner of State St and Mechanic. My grandfather owned Sasala's Tavern. Across the street was SMITHS Drug Store and 2 houses down was a school which I attended until about 5th grade.
              I still attend St Johns and have relatives living in Perth Amboy and the area. My grandfathers children are:

              Sasala
              Anna Dosil married
              Julia Doyle married
              Mary Fedak (Picone) my mother
              Helen Bukarica
              John Sasala

              Grandfather came from Jakubany in Slovikia.
              One of the names you wrote starting with a G, could that be possibly be Gulyassy?

              My grandfather John had 1 brother, Stephen from Perth Amboy and 2 sisters who ended up in Lopez, Pa.
              The sisters are Katherine Sasala Decker and Anna Sasala Decker. 2 sisters marrying 2 brothers.

              Do you think your Mom could remember any of this people?

              Also had an Aunt Julia Yadlouski.

              thanks maxine sasala

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2, 2008
                Maxine,
                I see you mentioned the name Gulyassy below. Is this a surname name in your
                family tree? I too have that name in my family tree. Maria Varsa married
                Steve Dulacy, which through much research, we found to be an Americanization
                of this Slovak name. Dulacy is also spelled Tollassy, Tolasi, Gulyassy,
                Gyulassy.

                Marilyn

                _____

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 3, 2008
                  Hi, Gulyassy is the name of my great, grandmother, Suzzanna. She was born in Jakubany, Slovakia. She married my grandfather Elias Sasala, or sometimes Schschla. When he passed Suzzanna married a Compel from the same village. In 1924 she came to Perth Amboy, NJ with Compel. Stayed a while and went to her dauthers in Lopez, Pa, Kathleen Sasala Decker or Deker.

                  Where do your family names comes from? Maxine

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 3, 2008
                    My Varsa family came from the Teplicska/Markusovce area (near Spiska Nova
                    Ves). The Gulyassy branch had many from Kotterbach (Rudnany), also in the
                    Spis area. A friend I met while researching that branch has a rather large
                    tree posted on the internet, which I'm sure you've found by now.

                    Marilyn

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 4, 2008
                      Hi, can you send me your friends e-mail on her family tree? I do not have it. thanks maxine

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 8, 2008
                        Hi Maxine,
                        You can see my friend's work (John Yagersky) at
                        http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET
                        <http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=yagersk
                        y&id=I648> &db=yagersky&id=I648

                        Look at the descendants of Gyorgy TOLLASSY , making sure to read his notes
                        where you will find his notation about the various spellings of the name he
                        found, Gulyassy being one of them.

                        Happy Hunting,
                        Marilyn

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 9, 2008
                          Hi! Maxine,

                          You asked if I had Gulyassy in my family.

                          My great grandfather came to America as Janos Gulyas, but on his naturaliztion papers it was Janos Gujas. Today it is written Gulish. (also was Gulosh when my mom was young)
                          And curious thing is, I recently discovered another way it was spelled. After your last response I happen to re-look at the 1930 Census for Perth Amboy and the name was written as Gulissy. On the document he hand writing is sloppy and I never paid full attention to it.

                          I don't know much about the cemetery of St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church. Last year I tried to find my great grandfather DZSUPINKA's (JUPINKA) grave but couldn't locate it. I tried to contact the church via telephone to inquire about records but had no luck at that either. Maybe in the fall I will try again.

                          My family in Perth Amboy started out on Goodwin Street and also Sherman Street.
                          Later one of my Aunt Clara lived on Louis Street Hopelawn near the cemetery we are speaking of. Also my Uncle John lived on Howard Street Hopelawn. I, myself, grew up close to the Hopelawn border with Perth Amboy-- Harding Ave.

                          Lisa

                        • maxine
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 10, 2008
                            Hi, Do you know the village your grandfather came from? Also, who did you speak to at church, St Johns? maxine

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 12, 2008
                              Hi! Maxine,
                              Mihaly Dzsupinka (Jupinka) last residence was Tokaj (Tokay)  Hungary in Zemplen. I do not know if that is where he was born.  I don't know much  about him because he died before my mom, his granddaughter  was born.  I don't even know his exact death date.  I just know my mom says he's burried in the cemetery that we are talking about.  I know the time frame would have been that he died after my Uncle Steve Jupinka was born  Jan 1913  and before 1923 which would have been about the time my great grandmother had another child with her 2nd husband George Orosz.
                              I don't remember who I spoke to, but it was someone who was trying to access the cemetery records, but she had trouble hearing me over the phone.  She said it would be better to come in person which I couldn't do because I was caring for my mom who has cancer.
                              It's a long story, but I originally was searching in the wrong cemetery because between information on mapquest and a genealogy website put me on the wrong side of Florida Grove Road and eventually I was communicating via email with the secretary Anna of the Ukrainian Catholic Church Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Cemetery, Florida Grove Road Hopelawn, NJ  and she told me to look for his grave in the cemetery directly across Florida Grove Road---which belonged to St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church.  Mapquest just labels both sides as Ukrainian Cemetery.  It was very confusing to me.  But  maybe it was meant for me to find Anna, because in our communications I found out she knew my mom's best friend during the 1960-70's,  Stella Gadek, and said she was a parishoner there.
                              Since you know more, can you look on mapquest and tell me if St. John the Baptist Cemetery is bounded by Pfeiffer Blvd, Florida Grove Rd, Columbus Drive and a resevoir.  Anna said to look there.  I was on the side that was Pfeiffer Blvd., Florida Grove Rd., Clyde Ave,  and Herbert Street.
                              In my youth I would walk past these cemeteries as I walked down Pfeiffer Blvd to get to Two Guys to go shopping from my house on Harding Ave. Perth Amboy.
                              Lisa
                            • maxine
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 14, 2008
                                Hi Lisa, the cemetery is located on Pheiffer & Florida Grove. There are 2 for the Orthodox church. The new one is directly across from the old one. good luck maxine