Nice to meet you! KISSEL & BARAN

  • angiekb2
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 28, 2008
      Greetings! I'm Angie Kissel-Bishop from WA and I joined the group
      about a couple of weeks ago and finally got to sit down at the
      computer, and I wanted to let you know where I am on my research. I
      have traced my KISSEL ancestors as far back as Michael and Mary
      Kissel of Pennsylvania. They came to America from "Hungary" between
      1887 and 1892 and had lived in Westmoreland and Fayette (Masontown)
      counties. I was told that Mary died around 1913, but I don't know
      the death date of Michael and I also cannot find Mary's maiden name.
      Their children were John Andrew Kissel (my great-grandfather) who was
      married to Anna Baran, Katie (Kissel-Buday of Brownsville, PA), and
      Mary (Kissel-Harvan? of Ohio). I believe that Michael also had a
      brother by the name of John Kissel who's wife's name was Mary and
      their children were Mary, Stephen, Sophia and John. I have traced my
      BARAN ancestors as far back as Joseph Frank Baran and Susan (Kikta)
      Baran. They came here from "Austria" between 1889 and 1891 and were
      naturalized in 1896, but I cannot find any records to show me exactly
      what part of Austria-Hungary they came from. Their children are Mary
      (Baran, Zoldak), Anna (Baran, Myorski, Kissel -my great grandmother),
      Margaret (Baran, Jankura), Elizabeth (Baran, Myorsky), Katie (Baran,
      Urbany), and Steve Baran. Joseph Baran was a blacksmith in Masontown
      PA and I believe he brought his mother Anna Baran there in 1906 and I
      think he has a brother named John Baran. WHEW! I received most of my
      information from my great-aunt, but I've also been able to locate
      some information on US census charts. I've tried looking for
      birth/death/marriage records on ancestry.com and other websites
      (since I'm sort of house-bound at the moment)as well as baptism
      records, etc..., but I've had no luck. I've also been unable to find
      naturalization or immigration/emigration records for any of my
      ancestors, I just know that they all spoke Slovak. I would really
      like to be able to find out exactly where they came from so I can
      continue my research in the "old country," so if anyone knows any
      info about my ancestors or can point me in the right direction to
      continue my search, I'd appreciate it greatly! Thanks for your time!
    • david1law@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 28, 2008
        The surname KISSEL appears in my direct lineage. My KISSEL line is from the
        SPIS region of Slovakia. Please feel free to contact me directly.

        David

      • christine mackara
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 29, 2008
          Hi Angie,

          I have a Mary (Maria) Kissel/ Kislecka in my family, but don't know a lot about her. She married a man by the name of Kissel and moved from Philadelphia to Newark, NJ. She died in a nursinghome before 1978. This from correspondence with a niece of our grandmother in 1978, who lived in Philadelphia, Pa.
          Maria's maiden name is Maria Krisso/ Kris, born 10 May 1877 in Secovce, SK, daughter of Michal Kris/Krisso and Terézia Konter. ( this from the State Archive in Kosice) She is the sister of our grandmother , Susanna Makara, nee Krisso.

          Christine

        • Margo Smith
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 29, 2008
            Welcome, Angie!  You will find that this is is an interesting and helpful group.

            My husband's ancestors were from the Turiec Valley, SK  -- in particular the Catholic parish of Turciansky Dur.  His maternal grandmother's half brother was Jan Danovsky who lived in Moskovec.  Danovsky's daughter Helena married a fellow named Baran.  Widow Helena Baranova is now in her 80s and lives in Banska Bystrica.  She has a phone, but I have not called her because my Slovak language skills are not adequate.  Helena's daughter lives in Martin.

            Have you asked Helene Cincebeaux to look for your surnames in her Slovak Pride database?

            Margo

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 29, 2008
              Hi Angie

              Here is a Wesmoreland County (Pa) website that may be able to help you.

              http://westmorelandweb400.us:8088/EGSPublicAccess.htm

              Jean

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 30, 2008
                I have Kissely in my family tree, and normally wouldn't mention it, but I know that the final i/y sometimes changed. Mine were also connected with Spis (Spisske Podhradie, to be more precise), with one branch of the family at some point moving to Budapest and having a pastry shop there in the late 19th century, according to the stories passed down in my family.

                Best wishes,

                James

                Dr. James F. McGrath
                Department of Philosophy and Religion
                Butler University, 4600 Sunset Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46208
                E-mail: jfmcgrat@...
                Web page: http://blue.butler.edu/~jfmcgrat/

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 30, 2008
                  Hi James:

                  My KISSEL ancestors from SPIS are very near SPISSKE PODHRADIE in the village
                  of RICHNAVA (KLUKNAVA parish). I haven't been able to trace their lineage
                  back yet because I have been working on other names in my lineage, but I
                  thought I would mention it for future reference.

                  David

                • angiekb2
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 4 5:13 AM
                    Thanks for the info and advice everyone! It gives me a great idea of
                    where to go next.