Re: [S-R] Slovakia-Church records-Family History Center

  • ROBERT LISTON
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 27 11:32 AM
      Dear Ben,
      Sorry to have put you to so much trouble. I found an email dated 1-3, 2007 from "johnqadam" that tells me that the records are not at the church they are at the Slovak Archive in Nitra and my choices are to wait years before the church records are released by the LDS or hire a researcher to go there and do the work for me. As we are not people of means I guess I'll just research elsewhere, not like there is nothing else for me to pursue. Hope I didn't take too much of your time when I had the answer right here.
      I am interested in having you translate my post cards. If you will let me know the procedure I will count up my cards and await your response.
      Thanks Again,
      Joanne
      Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> wrote:
      Oh, and my deepest appologies for suggesting that it would be in SLC, Utah. I would not be too hopeful as Osuske does NOT bring up any archives in the FHL search.
      Ben

      From: ROBERT LISTON <bojomo@pacbell. net>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Friday, June 27, 2008, 7:07 PM

      Dear Ben,
      Thank you, thank you, thank you! What you are telling me is that the LDS has these documents at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City? My husband and I plan to travel there for the first time later this summer. Do you know how I define them. I need to email the library as to what documents I want to research so that they are available when we arrive. I also hope that they will be available at the local Family History Center as I am sure one week in Salt Lake City will not be enough.

      Also, I have some post cards dating back to the 1950's sent from Czechoslovakia that I would like to have translated. Can you do this and how much would it cost?

      I surely appreciate your help. Thanks!
      Joanne Liston

      Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> wrote:
      Hello- here you go!

      OSUSKE, okr. Senica
      R. kat farsky urad
      Farsky obvod:Osuske a od r 1862 Prietrz
      Matriky:n: 1847-1896
      s: 1847-1895
      z: 1847-1895
      Starsie zaznamy sa nzchzclzaju v matrikach
      r. kat. farskeho uradu Hradiste pod Vratnom

      Osuske, region, Senica
      Roman Catholic Parish Offic
      Parish jurisdiction, Osuske and from the year 1862, Prietrz
      Matrika (Civil registry) (n= narodenie) births 1847-1896
      s= sobas= marriages 1847-1895
      z= zomriet= to die=deaths 1847-1895
      Older records may be found in the Civil office of the
      Roman Catholic Parish Office in Hradiste pod Vratnom.

      The years tell you what is availible in the Family History Library... :-)
      If you get the actual documents, I can translate that for you too. If you know the year of birth, or even better death (as that document will give you the marriage and the birth dates too) you can get all of those needed documents relatively easily...

      Ben