Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] translation

  • Ron Matviyak2
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 23 5:32 PM
      Maryanne,

      Your jpeg will not come through the s-w filter. please identify the village
      so people will know if they also have interest in the same village, or if
      they already have information they may share with all of us - or just share
      with you, as is proper.

      71
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31 2:47 PM
        C.S.A on tombstones or obits in the US usually either refers to the
        "Confederate States of America" (i.e. the South) or the organization for
        veterans and descendants called Confederate Sons of America. If he
        fought in the US Civil War, that might refer to a lodge or group of the
        Confederate Sons of America.

        Many immigrants did fight in US wars, and if an immigrant fought in a
        war, the waiting period for naturalization was forgiven, so many
        immigrants got their citizenship that way.

        Of course, I live in Mobile AL where this is a big thing! So this is the
        context I know CSA. But many southerners did fight for the north, and
        vice versa, so it's not an impossible thought.