Slovakia-Church records-Family History Center

  • bojomo42
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 26, 2008
      Can someone please help me? I have been working on the 1869 Hungarian
      Census, Austrian Military Records and just started with the Slovakia
      church records.I ordered FHL INTL Film [1183541 Item 4] from the LDS. I
      looked at it today and found information on Dobra Voda, Jablonica and
      Osuske. I am interested in these records as my grandparents came from
      that area and I found information of them in the 1869 Hungarian Census.
      I now am at a stand still as I don't know how to interpret this
      information or how to use it. Following is one of the notations I found:
      OSUSKE, okr. Senica
      R. kat farsky urad
      Farsky obvod:Osuske a od r 1862 Prietrz
      Matriky:n: 1847-1896
      s: 1847-1895
      z: 1847-1895
      Starsie zaznamy sa nzchzclzaju v matrikach
      r. kat. farskeho uradu Hradiste pod Vratnom
      Is there someone out there that can give me some advice? Thank you.
      Respectfully,
      Joanne Liston
    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 26, 2008
        Hello- here you go!

        OSUSKE, okr. Senica
        R. kat farsky urad
        Farsky obvod:Osuske a od r 1862 Prietrz
        Matriky:n: 1847-1896
        s: 1847-1895
        z: 1847-1895
        Starsie zaznamy sa nzchzclzaju v matrikach
        r. kat. farskeho uradu Hradiste pod Vratnom

        Osuske, region, Senica
        Roman Catholic Parish Offic
        Parish jurisdiction, Osuske and from the year 1862, Prietrz
        Matrika (Civil registry) (n= narodenie) births 1847-1896
        s= sobas= marriages 1847-1895
        z= zomriet= to die=deaths 1847-1895
        Older records may be found in the Civil office of the
        Roman Catholic Parish Office in Hradiste pod Vratnom.

        The years tell you what is availible in the Family History Library... :-)
        If you get the actual documents, I can translate that for you too. If you know the year of birth, or even better death (as that document will give you the marriage and the birth dates too) you can get all of those needed documents relatively easily...

        Ben

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 26, 2008
          Ah.. I see my plurals and singulars are off- unaveny som, asi. I am realy tired, worked too long... sorry. however, I wouldn't sell this translation, but it is a good one for the purpose....
          Ben

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 27, 2008
            Hello all,
            I was trying to use SmartDraw for a pedigree for school and it worked great- until I printed it. Then I got the pedigree, kinda, with a huge "watermark" that covered perhaps the most important part of the work, so now I am back to square one as I am NOT about to pay 190 bucks for that program (more if I have it on two computers... exorbitant!)
            What do you guys use, as I CANNOT use a set form for this work- set forms start with a central subject and usually work back. I start with a central character in, say, Preussen in 1792 and go both ways.... and I am almost at my final. HELP!!!!!!
            Ben

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 27, 2008
              Dear Ben,
              Thank you, thank you, thank you! What you are telling me is that the LDS has these documents at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City? My husband and I plan to travel there for the first time later this summer. Do you know how I define them. I need to email the library as to what documents I want to research so that they are available when we arrive. I also hope that they will be available at the local Family History Center as I am sure one week in Salt Lake City will not be enough.

              Also, I have some post cards dating back to the 1950's sent from Czechoslovakia that I would like to have translated. Can you do this and how much would it cost?

              I surely appreciate your help. Thanks!
              Joanne Liston

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 27, 2008
                I can't find info if the Library would have it, but I did look up your fiche, and found that it is a 525- page  survey of what the parish registers and civil offices would have up to the time of official civil registry, and what you can find IN SLOVAKIA (I believe) with this info. I didn't realize that it was from a fiche... but it helps still. At least you now know exactly where to look!
                If we write the Parish office in Osuske, in the region Senica, these are the years kept there. Older information is held at the parish office in Hradista pod Vratnom. Is it possible that it will be in the FHL in Salt Lake? Sure, but I don't know if it is availible yet as they are always building up thier archives. However, you can write to these Parish Offices! For a fee they usually get you the info you need- but I don't know how much it costs. Vladi would know more about locating the address of that office and the fees, as I am really new to all of this.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 27, 2008
                  Oh, and my deepest appologies for suggesting that it would be in SLC, Utah. I would not be too hopeful as Osuske does NOT bring up any archives in the FHL search.
                  Ben

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 27, 2008
                    Dear Ben,
                    Sorry to have put you to so much trouble. I found an email dated 1-3, 2007 from "johnqadam" that tells me that the records are not at the church they are at the Slovak Archive in Nitra and my choices are to wait years before the church records are released by the LDS or hire a researcher to go there and do the work for me. As we are not people of means I guess I'll just research elsewhere, not like there is nothing else for me to pursue. Hope I didn't take too much of your time when I had the answer right here.
                    I am interested in having you translate my post cards. If you will let me know the procedure I will count up my cards and await your response.
                    Thanks Again,
                    Joanne