RE: [S-R] Re: RootsMagic - Alan

  • Alan Antoska
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 25, 2008
      Hi Jody,
      Thats news to me. My RM seems to run fine on Vista although it 'felt' more comfortable on w-XP.
      In RM u need to tell it where to save the database & backup.
      In RM, go to TOOLS, OPTIONS, then PROGRAM OPTIONS and FOLDERS to nominate location of data to be saved.
      RM prompts me for a backup each time I exit but thats the way I set it up.
      ps. Today I upgraded RM to 3.2.6 from their web site.

      May a kind Providence prosper your efforts.
      Regards / ciao / S pozdravom,
      Alan

      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 25, 2008
        Ben, Lisa, et al....

        Having been around this issue for some time with every genealogy group I
        belong to on Yahoo (was four but now only three), let me throw in my two
        cents' worth.

        First, WYSISWYG (called whizeewig... it means What You See Is What You Get)
        was popularized by Apple with the first MACs. It was a while before those
        in the Windows world could benefit from the same luxury of knowing that what
        they saw on the screen would print the same way. As I recall, this was
        partially solved with Windows 3.1 but wasn't truly seamless/effortless until
        Windows 95.

        That said, several factors come into play. First, what you can input from
        your keyboard depends on which keyboard layout you have installed on your
        machine regardless of what operating system you are using. I normally use
        the American International layout with dead keys as this gives me many if
        not most of the accented characters I need for Western European languages
        (German, French, Italian, Spanish, etc). I also have the Slovak QWERTZ
        keyboard loaded and can switch to it with a simple CNTRL key sequence when I
        need the letters with carons, etc. I did the same when I worked in
        Lithuania and it works well for me although I take a while to remember the
        Y-Z switched key locations as well as a couple of the other accented
        characters since they are not explicitly marked on the keyboard (you can
        order a Slovak/Czech keyboard if that will help).

        Second, what you are able to see on the screen depends on which code page
        you have loaded at boot time (but don't dwell on this as it's pretty much a
        non-player for most of us). This is what tells the operating system what
        letter to display for a given code in a file.

        Thirdly, what your software will handle depends on a few things but if it
        only handles ASCII 256, many accented characters will not be possible.
        Fortunately, this problem went away with the transition from DOS to Windows
        for most of us. That said, how the database records information can limit
        what can be entered and shown based on how the fields in the database are
        defined.

        Given all the above, if FTM cannot handle the diacriticals necessary for
        Slovak (or German or Czech or Polish... etc), I would look elsewhere. I use
        Linux as my operating system of choice and have no problems to display,
        print, or save any of the diacritics (which probably explains why Liza
        doesn't have problems since the MAC O/S is now Unix based). For genealogy
        work, I use GenJ which is a free, open source, public domain genealogy
        database program written in Java so it can run on any platform (MAC,
        Windows, Unix, Linux, BEOS, etc) that has Java installed. It saves the files
        in a standard genealogy format (GEDCOM) that can be used by many if not most
        of the software out there. To wit, I do my work in GenJ on Linux and when I
        save the file my brothers who primarily use Windows can open it and add
        their comments, data, etc. I'm not in any way affiliated with GenJ but if
        you are curious and want to learn more, look here:
        http://genj.sourceforge.net/wiki/doku.php

        You'll note that the program is available in German, French, Russian,
        Polish, Spanish, and Hungarian but not Slovak or Czech. Fortunately, I
        suspect most of the people in this group will use only the English version
        which supports all the Slovak/Czech characters but gives menus in English.

        OK.... sorry for the longish post. If you have specific questions feel free
        to contact me directly via back-channel email (reply to sender) and I'll do
        what I can to help you out.

        S pozdrávom,

        Paul in NW Florida

      • Paul Guzowski
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 26, 2008
          One last thing I forgot when posting last night, if you have trouble getting
          some of your programs to run as expected after upgrading your operating
          system (e.g. from Windows XP to Windows Vista), try using the new OS's
          compatibility mode. For example, if you have an older program that ran well
          under Windows 98 or XP but doesn't behave well under Vista, try instructing
          Vista to run the program in XP compatibility mode. This will negates some
          of Vista's bells and whistles but very well may get your program running
          more like it did with the older operating system.

          Paul in NW Florida

        • Margo Smith
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 28, 2008
            Dobre rano Ben and Everyone

            Ben, I use Family Tree Maker to generate pedigree charts, but we all know that FTM doesn't accept all SK diacritics.� One kind of chart it generates is called an hourglass, which includes ancestors as well as descendants of a particular person.

            My copy of FTM came to me as a gift 5 years ago so I don't know what my friend paid, but my recollection is that the price is < $100.� Perks?� What do you mean by that?� The new version of FTM (I think 2008) came out last fall and has a bug which the company does not intend to correct:� I am told that when importing data from previous versions surnames with suffixes (e.g., Senior, Junior), the program does not do it correctly.

            Another quirk of FTM is that if a surname has an alias, e.g. Hlavnya alias Vozzar, FTM will index it under the alias instead of the surname.� And in the index, the surnames beginning with S with macken are all listed after S with no diactiric.

            Your test characters came through fine but do not seem to include e with acute accent, as in Dubove and Slovenske Pravno, which both have the accent.

            I'm getting so confused, I'm ready to pour myself a cold glass of Zlaty Bazant (except that it is too early in the morning for pivo!).� Yes, I'm sure it makes a difference for people who use Mac, XP, or Vista.� Just because yahoo does something, that does not mean that�something else, like FTM, will also do it.

            Now that I am near the conclusion of my Slovak project, except for maintenance, I am dealing with the diacritic problem differently than I would if I were just starting out.� I use FTM for ancestral and descent charts�� Fortunately, there are few words which require c with macken -- the other diacritics I need I can cut and paste from Word.� Those charts can not be cut and pasted into Word.� So cut and paste works one way (into FTM)�but not the reverse (into Word).� I will scan the charts and insert them into a large Word document.� As for the family group sheet charts, I am re-typing them in Word.� Ouch!� However, this solves several problems (1) diacritics, because there are more c with macken on these charts, (2)� being able to differentiate births from baptisms and deaths from burials on�each chart as appropriate, (3) saves paper and looks more uniform with the narrative descriptions of the 95 family groups.

            Happy weekend, everyone.

            Margo

            What does the publisher of FTM have to say about all of this? I presume you
            paid good money for this program. You at least deserve their help. Foreign
            characters should be an essential component of any genealogy program.
            Bill

            )