Looking for information on Sarisske Dravce. Surname Golias?

  • dancingqueen0121
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 25, 2008
      Hi. Well I'm new to this group. I was wondering if anyone new anything
      about the village Sarisske Dravce, in the Sabinov region of Slovakia.
      It's where I just found out my great grandmother is from, and frankly
      my family knows not one single thing about our history. Also if anyone
      knows anything about the surname Golias.
    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 25, 2008
        Golias is a fairly common name in Slovakia, and you will find quite a few in
        Sarisske Dravce in the Slovak telephone directory
        (http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/?co=st_zoznam_en). Put "Golias" in the Vyhladaj
        space and zero (0) in the UTO space.

        The population of Sarisske Dravce is 1244.

        You will find numerous Golias immigrants from Sarisske Dravce in the Ellis
        Island records. They will be listed as coming from Darocz, the Hungarian
        form of the village name. Perhaps you will find your great-grandmother in
        there.

        LDS has microfilms of the Roman Catholic church records for the village
        1753-1901 which you can view at your local Family History Center. If you do
        not know how to do this, I would be happy to give you guidelines.

        Janet

        _____

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 25, 2008
          >>> I was wondering if anyone new [sic] anything about the village
          Sarisske Dravce, in the Sabinov region of Slovakia. <<<

          CENTER (FHC)
          The Mormons have been microfilming historic vital records worldwide
          for decades as part of their mission. The Mormons make their
          collection available to anyone for viewing at their Family History
          Centers (FHC). The microfilms are stored in Salt Lake City. When you
          visit a center, you can "rent" a microfilm, by paying a small fee
          (abt. $5 per film). The center will order the film on your behalf and
          notify you when it arrives at their center. You can then use reserve
          the microfilm readers to view these records.

          There's one more thing to keep in mind about the FHC. For the most
          part, the FHC volunteers will know NOTHING about research in Slovakia
          or about the contents of the films. The volunteer may know about
          his/her own heritage, but that is about it. That's where you need
          groups like this to point you in the right direction.

          www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church
          (zomreli).

          LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of births, marriages and
          deaths for Šarišské Dravce, Slovakia; formerly Darócz, Sáros,
          Hungary. Includes affiliated towns of Krásna Lúka, Slovakia, formerly
          Széprét (also called Semvisz or Schönviz), Sáros, Hungary; Bajerovce,
          Slovakia, formerly Bajorvágás, Sáros, Hungary; Poloma, Slovakia,
          formerly Polom, Sáros, Hungary; Olʹšov, Slovakia, formerly Olysó,
          Sáros, Hungary.

          Krsty1753-1759 -- Úmrtia 1754-1775 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1754-1776 --
          Konvertiti 1756-1782 -- Birmovaní 1756 -- Krsty 1771-1790 - FHL
          INTL Film [ 1794089 Items 4 - 5 ]

          Krsty 1790-1813 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1776-1812 -- Úmrtia 1775-1808
          KRÁSNA LÚKA, POLOMA Krsty 1788-1799 -- Úmrtia 1788-1799 -- Uzavreté
          manželstvá 1788-1803 ŠARIŠSKÉ DRAVCE Krsty 1813-1822 -- Úmrtia 1813-
          1821 -- Krsty 1813-1851 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1813-1852 - FHL INTL
          Film [ 1794090 ]

          Birmovaní 1857 -- Úmrtia 1813-1853 -- Krsty 1851-1868 -- Uzavreté
          manželstvá 1853-1885 -- Úmrtia 1853-1875 -- Krsty 1869-1874 - FHL
          INTL Film [ 1794090 ]

          Krsty 1874-1886 -- Úmrtia 1875-1901-- Krsty 1886-1895 -- Uzavreté
          manželstvá 1886-1896 -- Krsty, uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia
          (druhopisy) 1861-1894 - FHL INTL Film [ 1794091 ]

          Krsty, uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1894-1895 - FHL INTL Film [
          1794092 Item 1 ]

          go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film
          will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.
        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 25, 2008
            >>> I was wondering if anyone new [sic] anything about the village
            Sarisske Dravce, in the Sabinov region of Slovakia. <<<

            LDS has the very informative 1869 Hungarian Census on film.
            Darócz (Šarišské Dravce) Film 2162324 Item 2

            Happy squinting.