RE: [S-R] Re: RootsMagic - Alan

  • Jody Gonda
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 25, 2008
      Alan,

      How do you save your RootsMagic with Vista?� I recently got a new laptop with Vista and it won't save/backup.� When I contacted RootsMagic support I was told that Vista has some sort of security on it to prevent backing up.

      Jody

      From: Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com

      Dobry den Margo and everyone,
      How much does that program cost and what are its perks?� I am scratching my head over the fact that it will not take "foreign" characters- But then does yahoo in plaintext? I was thinking of giving it a try- as I use a different regional setting for English, Slovak, Czech, and German. (I learned to type on both qwerty and qwertz keyboards, and some special characters take a touch of hunting for-especially in German.)
      So consider this a test. I am going to send us special charachters and let me know if you guys can see them! If not, just erase this from your email, but we will see if this will make name-writig on this forum more "interesting. " :-)
      TEST:
      Slovak ������������������
      Czech +����������������
      German ��������

      Like I said, I have turned off the formatting on my yahoo, and this looked just fine on my end. Let's see what happens when it gets put into the wash!
      Benisko
      From: Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@ iabsi.com>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, June 23, 2008, 4:27 AM

      Hello Margo,
      What does the publisher of FTM have to say about all of this? I presume you
      paid good money for this program. You at least deserve their help. Foreign
      characters should be an essential component of any genealogy program.
      Bill

      From: Sue <sueseyes@sbcglobal . net>
      Subject: [S-R] Re: Diacritics
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Saturday, June 21, 2008, 10:24 AM

      Hi Margo,

      Found these diacritics sites for windows. Hope these help.

      International Accent Marks and Diacriticals
      http://www.starr. net/is/type/ altnum.htm

      Windows - Alt Key Numeric Codes
      (http://tlt.its. psu.edu/suggesti ons/internationa l/accents/ codealt.html
      )

      Sue
      Don't be afraid, cemetery ghosts are only genealogists with lanterns.
      Ancestor Hunters Genealogy Group
      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/ancestorhu nters/

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com, Margo Smith <margolane61@ ...>
      wrote:

      > Among this group of experts, I hope there is someone who can point
      me in the right direction.
      > �
      > I use Family Tree Maker (version 9 or 10) and have had great
      difficulty with Slovak diacritics on the names of people and places.�
      Twice I contacted Family Tree Maker, who tole me that they do not
      support Slovak diacritics.� I discovered that it is possible to cut
      and paste MOST of the Slovak diacritics from Word into Family Tree
      Maker.� However, c with caron seems impossible.� I asked about this
      at the CSI conference in Madison last October.� and I also asked my
      computer wizard friends.� None of them have been able to do this
      either.
      > �
      > My husband believes that one should be able to make a macro
      consisting of c backspace caron, although we don't know how to do it.
      (As opposed to using the ASCII code for the symbol of c with caron,
      which is what I tried to do.)
      > �
      > Have any of you been able to solve this problem?� Thank you for any
      insight you might have on this problem.
      > �
      > Margo

      www.yahoo7.com. au/mail

    • Alan Antoska
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 25, 2008
        Hi Jody,
        Thats news to me. My RM seems to run fine on Vista although it 'felt' more comfortable on w-XP.
        In RM u need to tell it where to save the database & backup.
        In RM, go to TOOLS, OPTIONS, then PROGRAM OPTIONS and FOLDERS to nominate location of data to be saved.
        RM prompts me for a backup each time I exit but thats the way I set it up.
        ps. Today I upgraded RM to 3.2.6 from their web site.

        May a kind Providence prosper your efforts.
        Regards / ciao / S pozdravom,

        www.yahoo7.com.au/mail
      • Paul Guzowski
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 25, 2008
          Ben, Lisa, et al....

          Having been around this issue for some time with every genealogy group I
          belong to on Yahoo (was four but now only three), let me throw in my two
          cents' worth.

          First, WYSISWYG (called whizeewig... it means What You See Is What You Get)
          was popularized by Apple with the first MACs. It was a while before those
          in the Windows world could benefit from the same luxury of knowing that what
          they saw on the screen would print the same way. As I recall, this was
          partially solved with Windows 3.1 but wasn't truly seamless/effortless until
          Windows 95.

          That said, several factors come into play. First, what you can input from
          your keyboard depends on which keyboard layout you have installed on your
          machine regardless of what operating system you are using. I normally use
          the American International layout with dead keys as this gives me many if
          not most of the accented characters I need for Western European languages
          (German, French, Italian, Spanish, etc). I also have the Slovak QWERTZ
          keyboard loaded and can switch to it with a simple CNTRL key sequence when I
          need the letters with carons, etc. I did the same when I worked in
          Lithuania and it works well for me although I take a while to remember the
          Y-Z switched key locations as well as a couple of the other accented
          characters since they are not explicitly marked on the keyboard (you can
          order a Slovak/Czech keyboard if that will help).

          Second, what you are able to see on the screen depends on which code page
          you have loaded at boot time (but don't dwell on this as it's pretty much a
          non-player for most of us). This is what tells the operating system what
          letter to display for a given code in a file.

          Thirdly, what your software will handle depends on a few things but if it
          only handles ASCII 256, many accented characters will not be possible.
          Fortunately, this problem went away with the transition from DOS to Windows
          for most of us. That said, how the database records information can limit
          what can be entered and shown based on how the fields in the database are
          defined.

          Given all the above, if FTM cannot handle the diacriticals necessary for
          Slovak (or German or Czech or Polish... etc), I would look elsewhere. I use
          Linux as my operating system of choice and have no problems to display,
          print, or save any of the diacritics (which probably explains why Liza
          doesn't have problems since the MAC O/S is now Unix based). For genealogy
          work, I use GenJ which is a free, open source, public domain genealogy
          database program written in Java so it can run on any platform (MAC,
          Windows, Unix, Linux, BEOS, etc) that has Java installed. It saves the files
          in a standard genealogy format (GEDCOM) that can be used by many if not most
          of the software out there. To wit, I do my work in GenJ on Linux and when I
          save the file my brothers who primarily use Windows can open it and add
          their comments, data, etc. I'm not in any way affiliated with GenJ but if
          you are curious and want to learn more, look here:
          http://genj.sourceforge.net/wiki/doku.php

          You'll note that the program is available in German, French, Russian,
          Polish, Spanish, and Hungarian but not Slovak or Czech. Fortunately, I
          suspect most of the people in this group will use only the English version
          which supports all the Slovak/Czech characters but gives menus in English.

          OK.... sorry for the longish post. If you have specific questions feel free
          to contact me directly via back-channel email (reply to sender) and I'll do
          what I can to help you out.

          S pozdrávom,

          Paul in NW Florida

        • Paul Guzowski
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 26, 2008
            One last thing I forgot when posting last night, if you have trouble getting
            some of your programs to run as expected after upgrading your operating
            system (e.g. from Windows XP to Windows Vista), try using the new OS's
            compatibility mode. For example, if you have an older program that ran well
            under Windows 98 or XP but doesn't behave well under Vista, try instructing
            Vista to run the program in XP compatibility mode. This will negates some
            of Vista's bells and whistles but very well may get your program running
            more like it did with the older operating system.

            Paul in NW Florida

          • Margo Smith
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 28, 2008
              Dobre rano Ben and Everyone

              Ben, I use Family Tree Maker to generate pedigree charts, but we all know that FTM doesn't accept all SK diacritics.� One kind of chart it generates is called an hourglass, which includes ancestors as well as descendants of a particular person.

              My copy of FTM came to me as a gift 5 years ago so I don't know what my friend paid, but my recollection is that the price is < $100.� Perks?� What do you mean by that?� The new version of FTM (I think 2008) came out last fall and has a bug which the company does not intend to correct:� I am told that when importing data from previous versions surnames with suffixes (e.g., Senior, Junior), the program does not do it correctly.

              Another quirk of FTM is that if a surname has an alias, e.g. Hlavnya alias Vozzar, FTM will index it under the alias instead of the surname.� And in the index, the surnames beginning with S with macken are all listed after S with no diactiric.

              Your test characters came through fine but do not seem to include e with acute accent, as in Dubove and Slovenske Pravno, which both have the accent.

              I'm getting so confused, I'm ready to pour myself a cold glass of Zlaty Bazant (except that it is too early in the morning for pivo!).� Yes, I'm sure it makes a difference for people who use Mac, XP, or Vista.� Just because yahoo does something, that does not mean that�something else, like FTM, will also do it.

              Now that I am near the conclusion of my Slovak project, except for maintenance, I am dealing with the diacritic problem differently than I would if I were just starting out.� I use FTM for ancestral and descent charts�� Fortunately, there are few words which require c with macken -- the other diacritics I need I can cut and paste from Word.� Those charts can not be cut and pasted into Word.� So cut and paste works one way (into FTM)�but not the reverse (into Word).� I will scan the charts and insert them into a large Word document.� As for the family group sheet charts, I am re-typing them in Word.� Ouch!� However, this solves several problems (1) diacritics, because there are more c with macken on these charts, (2)� being able to differentiate births from baptisms and deaths from burials on�each chart as appropriate, (3) saves paper and looks more uniform with the narrative descriptions of the 95 family groups.

              Happy weekend, everyone.

              Margo