Re: Grening/Grönning

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2008
      It is no disappointment to me, Gordon. It gives us a good example of
      how names varied among the German immigrants to East Prussia just as
      they did for the immigrants to North Hungary (Slovakia). In my family
      it was the Matfiak that was the surprise - evidently the Hungarian
      spelling of the name, and long forgotten until the ship's papers for
      the grandfather surfaced.

      Ron

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Grening"
      <gordongrening@...> wrote:

      > Sorry to disappoint you but Grönning is pure East Prussian. My
      grandfather came from the village of Klein Dembowitz in the Neidenburg
      providence. Today this is part of Poland. Took me years of searching
      various libraries before I finally found some old Nazi era maps (in
      the library of the University of New Mexico of all places) of the area
      which showed the village. Of course nowadays you can Goggle it and
      find the place in minutes.

      > Regarding the name change: I have the Grening family Bible and it
      lists the births of my 11 aunts and uncles. You can see how the name
      changed over the years starting with Grönning for the first couple of
      kids, then becoming Groenning, then Grenning and finally Grening for
      the last three. I recently found the 1893 marriage license for my
      grandparents and the name is written as Grening? Even stranger is
      that the naturalization paper for my grandfather has the name spelt
      Graneng! If the paper hadn't been stuck in the family Bible I would
      have sworn it was for someone else. And I won't even begin to get
      into how the name is spelt on some of the census records.

      > So what does this have to do with Slovak-Roots. Will my mother's
      family is from Slovakia. Her father was a Lutski (I'm still trying to
      track down the original spelling of the name) supposedly from Dobra,
      Zemplin, Austria-Hungary and her grandfather, Petri Kotulic was from
      Sedlice, Saris, Austria-Hungary and her grandmother, Alzebeth Sebes
      was from was Sucha Dolina.

      > Last March I ordered the 1869 census for Sáros and hope to find the
      family on it. I'm a volunteer at the local LDS Family History Center
      and had called Salt Lake last week to check on my order. They are
      really short handed right now and were just beginning to process the
      request for March.

      > Finally I want to say that I certainly enjoy reading all the post
      here. It was because of all the discussion on the 1869 census that I
      was finally able to locate the correct film to order from the Family
      History Library. Keep up the good work.

      <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=206571/grpspId=1705040837/msgId=