Re: Grening/Grönning

  • Gordon Grening
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21 3:16 PM
      Sorry to disappoint you but Grönning is pure East Prussian. My grandfather came from the village of Klein Dembowitz in the Neidenburg providence. Today this is part of Poland. Took me years of searching various libraries before I finally found some old Nazi era maps (in the library of the University of New Mexico of all places) of the area which showed the village. Of course nowadays you can Goggle it and find the place in minutes.

      Regarding the name change: I have the Grening family Bible and it lists the births of my 11 aunts and uncles. You can see how the name changed over the years starting with Grönning for the first couple of kids, then becoming Groenning, then Grenning and finally Grening for the last three. I recently found the 1893 marriage license for my grandparents and the name is written as Grening? Even stranger is that the naturalization paper for my grandfather has the name spelt Graneng! If the paper hadn't been stuck in the family Bible I would have sworn it was for someone else. And I won't even begin to get into how the name is spelt on some of the census records.

      So what does this have to do with Slovak-Roots. Will my mother's family is from Slovakia. Her father was a Lutski (I'm still trying to track down the original spelling of the name) supposedly from Dobra, Zemplin, Austria-Hungary and her grandfather, Petri Kotulic was from Sedlice, Saris, Austria-Hungary and her grandmother, Alzebeth Sebes was from was Sucha Dolina.

      Last March I ordered the 1869 census for Sáros and hope to find the family on it. I'm a volunteer at the local LDS Family History Center and had called Salt Lake last week to check on my order. They are really short handed right now and were just beginning to process the request for March.

      Finally I want to say that I certainly enjoy reading all the post here. It was because of all the discussion on the 1869 census that I was finally able to locate the correct film to order from the Family History Library. Keep up the good work.

      Yours truly,
      Gordon Grening
      Columbia, SC

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 21 5:04 PM
        It is no disappointment to me, Gordon. It gives us a good example of
        how names varied among the German immigrants to East Prussia just as
        they did for the immigrants to North Hungary (Slovakia). In my family
        it was the Matfiak that was the surprise - evidently the Hungarian
        spelling of the name, and long forgotten until the ship's papers for
        the grandfather surfaced.

        Ron

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Grening"