Pronounciation of surname Stroncer

  • Adrienne Sowards
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 9 8:39 PM
      Does anyone know how the name "Stroncer" would be pronounced?

      Anyone have any guesses on what people might have changed it to when they reached North America? (Something sounding like Stroncer, anyway.)

      Thanks,
      Adrienne
    • Tom Geiss
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 9 9:42 PM
        Adrienne, I don't know about the pronunciation, but I can give you a
        couple of examples of name changes.
        One person's name was CROSS, and someone asked him how he could be
        Polish with the name Cross, and he replied " It's short for CRESNASKY.
        Another example. My mother's maiden name was Moralevitz. When her
        brothers and sisters grew up, they shortened their names to Marlo. Then one
        brother was told that Marlo wasn't sophisticated enough, so he added a W,
        and called himself Marlow.
        Some people even spell it Marlowe.
        Names evolve, from one another. Johnson comes from John's son.
        My name is Geiss. In German, that means Goat.
        Tom

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 9 10:09 PM
          Adrienne,
          The Italian word 'stronso' is derogatory and means s.it face.
          Thus there was motivation to change the name.

          But without dycritics it is not possible to give an accurate pronunciation.
          Do yuou have a context or source for the name.
          Also, it does not sound right to me, the way its spelt.
          Could it be 'Stromko'?

          S pozdravom,
          Alan

          > Does anyone know how the name "Stroncer" would be
          > pronounced?
          >
          > Anyone have any guesses on what people might have changed
          > it to when they reached North America? (Something sounding
          > like Stroncer, anyway.)
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Adrienne

          www.yahoo7.com.au/mail
        • Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 10 2:21 AM
            Adrienne,

            Radix lists four instances of Stronczer, a Hungarian spelling, all in old
            Saros county. The only Stroncer listed in the Ellis Island records (Stefan)
            was also from Saros (Hejthers/Hethars, i.e., Lipany SK). If this is the same
            family, it suggests that it was pronounced Strontser.

            Janet

            _____

            --- On Tue, 10/6/08, Adrienne Sowards <woteger@hotmail.
            <mailto:woteger%40hotmail.com> com> wrote:

            > From: Adrienne Sowards <woteger@hotmail. <mailto:woteger%40hotmail.com>
            com>
            > Subject: [S-R] Pronounciation of surname Stroncer
            > To: "Slovak Roots" <slovak-roots@ <mailto:slovak-roots%40yahoogroups.com>
            yahoogroups.com>
            > Does anyone know how the name "Stroncer" would be
            > pronounced?
            >
            > Anyone have any guesses on what people might have changed
            > it to when they reached North America? (Something sounding
            > like Stroncer, anyway.)
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Adrienne

            ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send
            > blank email to
            > SLOVAK-ROOTS- <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>
            unsubscribe@yahoogroups.comYahoo! Groups Links

            www.yahoo7.com.au/mail

          • jpdfo1982
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 10 5:41 AM
              Is this name really Hungarian? Cz looks very Polish and un-Hungarian
              to me. However, assuming Stronczer is Hungarian, the pronunciation is
              shtronts-zer. If it is Polish though, it'd be pronunced stron-cher.

              JP
            • Janet Kozlay
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 10 9:59 AM
                I did not mean to imply that the name itself was Hungarian, only that
                Stronczer is (or could be) a Hungarian spelling of Stroncer. Since Slovakia
                was a part of Hungary during the time of the heaviest emigration, many
                Slavic names appear in the records with Hungarian spellings. Cz is a
                Hungarian letter which is now obsolete except for its remnant in names. It
                is now replaced by the simple c, either of which is pronounced ts.

                However, you are absolutely correct that if it were a "true" Hungarian
                spelling of Stroncer, pronounced "strontser," the name would be spelled
                Sztronczer or Sztroncer, and the Hungarian pronunciation of Stroncer would
                be "shtrontser." I do not find any occurrences of this spelling, though the
                EI records find one Sztronczek, from Nedecz in old Szepes county, now
                located in Poland. Thus, your suggestion that it might be Polish is a good
                one, since these areas are very close to the border with Poland.

                Unfortunately, the result is that neither of us has come up with a "sure"
                pronunciation. Knowing how the family pronounced the name after immigrating
                to the U.S. might provide the best clue. Spellings frequently changed to
                reflect the pronunciation.

                I do stand corrected on my too-hasty response.

                Janet

                _____

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 10 11:32 AM
                  My Stroncer family does come from Lipany, which was Hethars, Hungary in the last 1800s. I'm trying to help a Stroncer in Lipany find some relatives who came to the US.

                  To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comFrom: kozlay@...: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:59:25 -0500Subject: RE: Re: [S-R] Pronounciation of surname Stroncer

                  I did not mean to imply that the name itself was Hungarian, only thatStronczer is (or could be) a Hungarian spelling of Stroncer. Since Slovakiawas a part of Hungary during the time of the heaviest emigration, manySlavic names appear in the records with Hungarian spellings. Cz is aHungarian letter which is now obsolete except for its remnant in names. Itis now replaced by the simple c, either of which is pronounced ts. However, you are absolutely correct that if it were a "true" Hungarianspelling of Stroncer, pronounced "strontser," the name would be spelledSztronczer or Sztroncer, and the Hungarian pronunciation of Stroncer wouldbe "shtrontser." I do not find any occurrences of this spelling, though theEI records find one Sztronczek, from Nedecz in old Szepes county, nowlocated in Poland. Thus, your suggestion that it might be Polish is a goodone, since these areas are very close to the border with Poland.Unfortunately, the result is that neither of us has come up with a "sure"pronunciation. Knowing how the family pronounced the name after immigratingto the U.S. might provide the best clue. Spellings frequently changed toreflect the pronunciation.I do stand corrected on my too-hasty response.Janet_____ From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] OnBehalf Of jpdfo1982Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:42 AMTo: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comSubject: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: [S-R] Pronounciation of surname StroncerIs this name really Hungarian? Cz looks very Polish and un-Hungarianto me. However, assuming Stronczer is Hungarian, the pronunciation isshtronts-zer. If it is Polish though, it'd be pronunced stron-cher.JP[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                • marilyn murphy