Re: St Wenceslas

  • Paul Guzowski
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 8, 2008
      Bill and group,

      Greetings. I always learn a great deal reading this group's posts. I am a
      little confused over Bill's last remark, however, that Slovaks don't refer
      to their churches by the holy name. During the two years I lived in
      Bratislava, I had numerous choices for where to attend Catholic mass. I
      asked one of my Slovak colleagues and she suggested Kostol Sveteho Ladislava
      because it was close to where I lived and they had an English-language mass
      if I wanted to attend that.

      http://sk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kostol_sv%C3%A4t%C3%A9ho_Ladislava_(Bratislava)

      I found that people also referred to the Bratislava cathedral as St Martin's
      cathedral (*Katedrála sv. Martina*, *Dóm sv. Martina). *

      Paul in NW FL

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 8, 2008
        Paul,
        I would agree that in a large city like Bratislava or Kosice, there needs to
        be a name. So my apologies for making a generalization without exception.
        There are over 2500 vilages and towns in Slovakia and for the most part,
        there is only one church per faith village.
        Bill