RE: [S-R] St, Wenceslas

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2008
      In slovakia people do not refer to churches by their holy name. It's simply
      called "the church" or "the church in Spisske Nova Ves"

      I would be very unusual to find this saint's name in eastern Slovakia. Are
      you certain they were not referring to Prague?

      You didn't specify which religion, so this makes it more difficult.
      In 1910 Iglo had 7933 roman catholic and 1494 evangelical

      The present day RC church is
      http://infobox.kapitula.sk/index.php?loc=vschema&rc=1115383239
      Name of church is Nanebovzatia Panny Márie, it's the tallest church is
      slovakia

      Evangelical present day church directory is here
      http://www.ecav.sk/info/adresar/senioraty/ta.htm
      but lists no church name

      Bill

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2008
        Thanks, I keep on forgetting to mention that she was Roman Catholic.
        But , now that I think about it, that could also be what she attended, after she emigrated to America. Tom

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 9, 2008
          True, the Church of the Assuption of the Virgin Mary is the tallest church in SNV and Slovakia, but there is another Catholic church right down the street, that many call the "Small Slovak Catholic church" on Levocska ulica right past the Levoca Gate on the Letna (summer) side of the main square. I happen to like this church better, it is just more quaint. :-)

          Almost every other section of SNV has its own church (except Tarca, I've noticed- but there are enough schools and pubs there to compensate :-P just kidding- partially). Almost all church-goers know to whom the church is dedicated, even if they don't use the formal name in passing, general conversation. But there is only one "farsky urad," (parish office) and that may make life easier when looking for more recent records. As I don't recall a Church of Sv. Vaclav outside of the Czech Republic- and certainly not in SNV, it is very possible that this church was here in the US, especially if the church was the Church of St. Wenceslas. Therefore, your later hunch may be the right one.

          God bless you all!

          Ben