St, Wenceslas

  • Tom Geiss
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2008
      Does anyone happen to know about a St Wenceslas, in or near Iglo, Hungary, in the 1800's ( it became Spisska Nova Ves in 1918 )?
      My grandmother is supposed to have attended a St. Wenceslas, either church or school, somewhere between 1873, when she was born, and 1889, when she left to go to America. Tom

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2008
        In slovakia people do not refer to churches by their holy name. It's simply
        called "the church" or "the church in Spisske Nova Ves"

        I would be very unusual to find this saint's name in eastern Slovakia. Are
        you certain they were not referring to Prague?

        You didn't specify which religion, so this makes it more difficult.
        In 1910 Iglo had 7933 roman catholic and 1494 evangelical

        The present day RC church is
        http://infobox.kapitula.sk/index.php?loc=vschema&rc=1115383239
        Name of church is Nanebovzatia Panny Márie, it's the tallest church is
        slovakia

        Evangelical present day church directory is here
        http://www.ecav.sk/info/adresar/senioraty/ta.htm
        but lists no church name

        Bill

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2008
          Thanks, I keep on forgetting to mention that she was Roman Catholic.
          But , now that I think about it, that could also be what she attended, after she emigrated to America. Tom

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 9, 2008
            True, the Church of the Assuption of the Virgin Mary is the tallest church in SNV and Slovakia, but there is another Catholic church right down the street, that many call the "Small Slovak Catholic church" on Levocska ulica right past the Levoca Gate on the Letna (summer) side of the main square. I happen to like this church better, it is just more quaint. :-)

            Almost every other section of SNV has its own church (except Tarca, I've noticed- but there are enough schools and pubs there to compensate :-P just kidding- partially). Almost all church-goers know to whom the church is dedicated, even if they don't use the formal name in passing, general conversation. But there is only one "farsky urad," (parish office) and that may make life easier when looking for more recent records. As I don't recall a Church of Sv. Vaclav outside of the Czech Republic- and certainly not in SNV, it is very possible that this church was here in the US, especially if the church was the Church of St. Wenceslas. Therefore, your later hunch may be the right one.

            God bless you all!

            Ben