Re: [S-R] RE: OLD LETTERS

  • bhewlett@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
      Speaking of Kinkos...I took a baptism certificate of my grandmothers there and had them put it in plastic. This way it can be handled without worrying about damage and I am assuming it should last indefinitely.
      Joyce>

      From: Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...>
      >Date: 2008/06/05 Thu AM 05:09:59 EDT
      >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [S-R] RE: OLD LETTERS

      >While scanning is superior, taking a digital photograph is a reasonable and
      >very safe alternative. An argument you hear a lot is that the intensity of
      >the light from the scanner may accelerate the decomposition of the paper.
      >
      >If you lay out the document on a well-lit table and mount the digital camera
      >on a tripod, position the camera parallel to the document, setting the
      >camera to the highest quality, you will probably not need to use flash.
      >This would minimize the handling of the document.
      >
      >I found a family document that was entirely crumbled and broken apart; this
      >was the only way to digitize it; the results were acceptable to me.
      >
      >I think I would ask Kinkos (or a photographer) to try the above method. I
      >would not advise shipping the letters regardless of the packaging and
      >tracking; since she put them in the safe, she values them highly; I wouldn't
      >want to live with having one lost or damaged in transit.
      >
      >Bill

    • Nick Holcz
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
        Joyce, just make sure the envelopes you store your documents in
        are acid free and designed for document storage.

        Nick