Re: Forbasy church records and census

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
      >>> discover more about my maternal grandmother's family, learn more
      about the area where she grew up in Forbasy <<<

      Are you aware that LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms,
      marriages and deaths for Gòazdá (also spelled Hniezdne), Slovakia
      formerly known as Gnézda, Szepes, Hungary. Includes affiliated towns of
      >>Forbasy<< and Kamienka.

      Krsty 1624-1831 Uzavreté manželstvá 1636-1801 Úmrtia 1665-1801 - FHL
      INTL Film [ 1739195 Items 3-6 ]

      Krsty 1831-1888 Zoznam krstov 1801-1843 Uzavreté manželstvá 1801-1879
      Úmrtia 1801-1879 - FHL INTL Film [ 1739196 ]

      Krsty 1888-1904 Úmrtia 1880-1910 Uzavreté manželstvá 1880-1945 Zoznam
      krstov 1624-1901 Zoznam uzavretých manželstiev 1624-1952 - FHL INTL
      Film [ 1739197 Items 1-4 ]

      LDS also has the VERY INFORMATIVE 1869 Hungarian Census on film:
      Forbász (Forbassy) Film #2162284 Item 5
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
        Victoria Ochotniczky, . . . Killiany. <<<

        There are current phone listings for Ochotnicky/Ochotnicka in Kamienka
        and the general area.

        Kiliany is a big hit in Forbasy, Kamienka, Hniezdne.

        Skype listings are positive for both surnames in the Stara L'ubovna
        area.

        Cousins likely abound.
      • Linda
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
          Yes, I have reviewed the Roman Catholic parish records microfiched by
          the Family History Center. I currently have the fiche on indefinite
          loan (so if any new info should present itself I can run to the fiche
          and look for dates). From the fiche I learned the birthdates of my
          grandmother and her three siblings, also the death dates of her
          mother, father and one brother. However, I have yet to determine
          when my great-grandmother (Anna Killiany) or great-grandfather
          (Joseph Ochotniczky) were born and if they had siblings, who their
          parents were, etc.

          According to the files, my grandmother (Victoria Ochotniczky) had
          three siblings, Andreas,
          Maria and Joannes. Joannes died at about 16 months of age. I know
          that Maria came to the USA and married. At 16 years of age my
          grandmother joined her sister in the USA. I do not know what
          happened to Andreas but I believe he stayed in Forbasy and may have
          raised a family. My grandmother said her brother did not come
          to 'the new country'.

          Thanks again for your information.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@...>

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
            >>> Yes, I have reviewed the Roman Catholic parish records microfiched
            by the Family History Center. <<<

            You make no mention of the 1869 Hungarian Census. You MUST get that
            film.

            1869 Hungarian Census:
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2008
              Hi John

              You are right, I will get the Census. That should help with the search
              to find more info about my great-grandparents. Thank you for sending
              the microfiche number, that will make it very easy.

              Thank you!