Ochotniczky and Killiany from Forbasy

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
      Hello Group,
      I recently joined the group in an effort to discover more about my
      maternal grandmother's family, learn more about the area where she grew
      up in Forbasy, and whether there might be any living relatives in
      Slovakia. My grandmother, Victoria Ochotniczky, was the youngest child
      of Joseph Ochotniczky and Anna Killiany. Does anyone in the group
      know anything of these two lines, the Ochotniczkys and Killianys from
      the Forbasy area? I do not have birthdates for either of my great-
      grandparents but I did find their death dates. Joseph died in Nov 1909
      and Anna died in Feb 1898. I can provide additional info on my
      grandmother's siblings, etc., if anyone is familiar with these
      names.
      Thank you.
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
        >>> discover more about my maternal grandmother's family, learn more
        about the area where she grew up in Forbasy <<<

        Are you aware that LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms,
        marriages and deaths for Gòazdá (also spelled Hniezdne), Slovakia
        formerly known as Gnézda, Szepes, Hungary. Includes affiliated towns of
        >>Forbasy<< and Kamienka.

        Krsty 1624-1831 Uzavreté manželstvá 1636-1801 Úmrtia 1665-1801 - FHL
        INTL Film [ 1739195 Items 3-6 ]

        Krsty 1831-1888 Zoznam krstov 1801-1843 Uzavreté manželstvá 1801-1879
        Úmrtia 1801-1879 - FHL INTL Film [ 1739196 ]

        Krsty 1888-1904 Úmrtia 1880-1910 Uzavreté manželstvá 1880-1945 Zoznam
        krstov 1624-1901 Zoznam uzavretých manželstiev 1624-1952 - FHL INTL
        Film [ 1739197 Items 1-4 ]

        LDS also has the VERY INFORMATIVE 1869 Hungarian Census on film:
        Forbász (Forbassy) Film #2162284 Item 5
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
          Victoria Ochotniczky, . . . Killiany. <<<

          There are current phone listings for Ochotnicky/Ochotnicka in Kamienka
          and the general area.

          Kiliany is a big hit in Forbasy, Kamienka, Hniezdne.

          Skype listings are positive for both surnames in the Stara L'ubovna
          area.

          Cousins likely abound.
        • Linda
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
            Yes, I have reviewed the Roman Catholic parish records microfiched by
            the Family History Center. I currently have the fiche on indefinite
            loan (so if any new info should present itself I can run to the fiche
            and look for dates). From the fiche I learned the birthdates of my
            grandmother and her three siblings, also the death dates of her
            mother, father and one brother. However, I have yet to determine
            when my great-grandmother (Anna Killiany) or great-grandfather
            (Joseph Ochotniczky) were born and if they had siblings, who their
            parents were, etc.

            According to the files, my grandmother (Victoria Ochotniczky) had
            three siblings, Andreas,
            Maria and Joannes. Joannes died at about 16 months of age. I know
            that Maria came to the USA and married. At 16 years of age my
            grandmother joined her sister in the USA. I do not know what
            happened to Andreas but I believe he stayed in Forbasy and may have
            raised a family. My grandmother said her brother did not come
            to 'the new country'.

            Thanks again for your information.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@...>

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
              >>> Yes, I have reviewed the Roman Catholic parish records microfiched
              by the Family History Center. <<<

              You make no mention of the 1869 Hungarian Census. You MUST get that
              film.

              1869 Hungarian Census:
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 6, 2008
                Hi John

                You are right, I will get the Census. That should help with the search
                to find more info about my great-grandparents. Thank you for sending
                the microfiche number, that will make it very easy.

                Thank you!