Old Slovak Mines

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 52 , Jun 4, 2008
      Marilyn,

      When you gather some interesting information on old Slovak mines,
      please share it here or on Slovak-World, the non-genealogical S-R
      counterpart, so the rest of us can learn a bit. I have kept my eye
      open for tidbits for years since I am curious about locations,
      minerals and residual pollution they encounter from the old mines today.

      Ron

      -- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Marilyn Hertenstein"
      <mjhertenstein@...> wrote:

      > Amazing!! Thank you for your efforts. I've been trying to hunt down
      information on old Slovak mines, but unsuccessful regarding
      Sonntagsgrund. I look forward to your next post on the subject once
      you hear from your friend.

      Message 52 of 52 , Jun 17, 2008
        I just received a letter from the lady in Slovakia who had heard of Sonntagsgrund. In a hand written letter, she just touched on the Sonntagsgrund matter. She said that an American she met was looking for his grandfather's family. His death certificate listed it as Zzontagrund , which she said was a very old name for a place near Spis Nova Ves. She had asked around (this was back in 1963) about this village name and was told by some old timers that the name was changed to Zavatsken dolina (Zavatska Valley), and "later on when Slovakia after World War II ended a Iron ore mine was built there and controled."

        So now I have a new village name to research!

        Marilyn

        _____