Re: [S-R] Re: Death/Reproduction

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2008
      Actually,
      Ron you are also correct, however, the lack of children was that there was no NEED for them at the rate as they were on farms, and not that anyone ever moderated the birth rate in cities. This did influence the size of the family in the mid to late 1800's, but it was NEVER sanctioned by any nation (until modern China).
      It was a social need, not a mandate, and that is a general overview of the situation. there were exceptions in rural and urban societies.
      We must also look at the ready availibility of "health care" in cities, which, paradoxically, was a DISADVANTAGE in the cities- very often, one was NOT better off seeing a doctor, though this wasn't common knowledge. The fact that the rural dwellers did not go to the doctor also helped this survival/death rate. :-P
      However, Ron, I fully agree with you on the sanitation. streets doubled as sewers in most cities. Yuck....
      Ben :-)

      Ron Matviyak <rmat@...> wrote:
      Diane,

      I always looked upon city sanitation - really lack of sanitation by
      today's standards - as the primary cause of city deaths historically
      exceeding birth and survival rates. This would predate the
      industrialization Ben refers to, and carry over through his era as
      well. I must disagree with Ben on the reason for the lack of children
      in cities. Reproductive control was (virtually) always forbidden by
      governments and churches, and the knowledge of reproductive methods
      and controls were hard to come by. Consider how many parents really
      have an honest discussion with their children in today's 'enlightened'
      age, and multiply that by ignorance, morality and illegality.

      So I put close quarters and poor sanitation at the root of cities
      having higher mortality rates through the ages.

      Ron
      my original comment was in message
      20217 Re: Adam Theorum & The Railroads, Et Cetera

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Diana Boggs <ssmudsville@...> wrote:

      > Why would cities have a higher death rate than reproduction rate?
      Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a "society"? dlb