Re: [S-R] Death/Reproduction

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2008
      Diane,
      The link below is to the article description. It is somewhat academic, but from it you see what has influenced birth and death rates over the past two hundred years.
      www.marathon.uwc.edu/geography/Demotrans/demtran.htm
      THE DEMOGRAPHIC TRANSITION
      Keith Montgomery
      Department of Geography and Geology

      The "Demographic Transition" is a model that describes population change over time. It is based on an interpretation begun in 1929 by the American demographer Warren Thompson, of the observed changes, or transitions, in birth and death rates in industrialized societies over the past two hundred years or so.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2008
          Diane,

          I always looked upon city sanitation - really lack of sanitation by
          today's standards - as the primary cause of city deaths historically
          exceeding birth and survival rates. This would predate the
          industrialization Ben refers to, and carry over through his era as
          well. I must disagree with Ben on the reason for the lack of children
          in cities. Reproductive control was (virtually) always forbidden by
          governments and churches, and the knowledge of reproductive methods
          and controls were hard to come by. Consider how many parents really
          have an honest discussion with their children in today's 'enlightened'
          age, and multiply that by ignorance, morality and illegality.

          So I put close quarters and poor sanitation at the root of cities
          having higher mortality rates through the ages.

          Ron
          my original comment was in message
          20217 Re: Adam Theorum & The Railroads, Et Cetera

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2008
            Actually,
            Ron you are also correct, however, the lack of children was that there was no NEED for them at the rate as they were on farms, and not that anyone ever moderated the birth rate in cities. This did influence the size of the family in the mid to late 1800's, but it was NEVER sanctioned by any nation (until modern China).
            It was a social need, not a mandate, and that is a general overview of the situation. there were exceptions in rural and urban societies.
            We must also look at the ready availibility of "health care" in cities, which, paradoxically, was a DISADVANTAGE in the cities- very often, one was NOT better off seeing a doctor, though this wasn't common knowledge. The fact that the rural dwellers did not go to the doctor also helped this survival/death rate. :-P
            However, Ron, I fully agree with you on the sanitation. streets doubled as sewers in most cities. Yuck....
            Ben :-)