RE: [S-R] Translation question #2

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
      Considering that István Molnár means Steve Miller, it isn’t too surprising
      that there are a lot of them. Molnár is the 8th most common surname in
      Hungary.

      Janet

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
        Dear Janet,
        I think that "kir." stands for "kiraly" (with an accent on the
        a) ,i.e. "royal".

        Jacques

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...>
        wrote:

        > Dear John,
        >

        > My dictionaries (I do not read Hungarian) indicate that
        uszálykormányos
        > means steersman on a barge. Again the "ok" is the plural form.
        >

        > Hajózási vállalatok.
        >
        > [Shipping company]
        >

        > Magyar kir. Folyam- és Tengerhajózási Részvénytársaság.
        >
        > [Name of the company.]
        >
        > Magyar = Hungarian
        >
        > Kir. = not sure of this abbreviation
        >
        > Folyam- = river-
        >
        > és = and
        >
        > Tengerhajózás = ocean-going navigation
        >
        > Részvénytársaság = company
        >

        > Hajós személyzet. [Seafaring staff]
        >

        > So it looks as if your István worked [on a barge?] on the Vag River
        rather
        > than on a train.
        >

        > If you do not have a good Hungarian-English dictionary,
        > http://dict.sztaki.hu/english-hungarian is pretty good for
        individual words.
        > Beware, though, of trying to translate a sentence this way.
        Hungarian is an
        > impossibly complex language. The translation website
        > http://www.webforditas.hu/index.php can be helpful, but when in
        doubt, you
        > really need a Hungarian.
        >

        > Janet

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
          Thank you, Jacques. I know I have run into this abbreviation before, and I
          should have remembered.

          Janet

          _____