Re: [S-R] Translation question #2

  • John
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
      If this is the Istvan MOLNAR that appears to be the case. Looks like
      I will need to investigate that this Istvan is my Istvan. Molnar
      appears to be a somewhat common name realtively speaking.

      Thanks again for all your help.

      John
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear John,
      >

      > My dictionaries (I do not read Hungarian) indicate that
      uszálykormányos
      > means steersman on a barge. Again the "ok" is the plural form.
      >

      > Hajózási vállalatok.
      >
      > [Shipping company]
      >

      > Magyar kir. Folyam- és Tengerhajózási Részvénytársaság.
      >
      > [Name of the company.]
      >
      > Magyar = Hungarian
      >
      > Kir. = not sure of this abbreviation
      >
      > Folyam- = river-
      >
      > és = and
      >
      > Tengerhajózás = ocean-going navigation
      >
      > Részvénytársaság = company
      >

      > Hajós személyzet. [Seafaring staff]
      >

      > So it looks as if your István worked [on a barge?] on the Vag River
      rather
      > than on a train.
      >

      > If you do not have a good Hungarian-English dictionary,
      > http://dict.sztaki.hu/english-hungarian is pretty good for
      individual words.
      > Beware, though, of trying to translate a sentence this way.
      Hungarian is an
      > impossibly complex language. The translation website
      > http://www.webforditas.hu/index.php can be helpful, but when in
      doubt, you
      > really need a Hungarian.
      >

      > Janet

    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
        Considering that István Molnár means Steve Miller, it isn’t too surprising
        that there are a lot of them. Molnár is the 8th most common surname in
        Hungary.

        Janet

        _____

        wrote:

        > Dear John,
        >

        > My dictionaries (I do not read Hungarian) indicate that
        uszálykormányos
        > means steersman on a barge. Again the "ok" is the plural form.
        >

        > Hajózási vállalatok.
        >
        > [Shipping company]
        >

        > Magyar kir. Folyam- és Tengerhajózási Részvénytársaság.
        >
        > [Name of the company.]
        >
        > Magyar = Hungarian
        >
        > Kir. = not sure of this abbreviation
        >
        > Folyam- = river-
        >
        > és = and
        >
        > Tengerhajózás = ocean-going navigation
        >
        > Részvénytársaság = company
        >

        > Hajós személyzet. [Seafaring staff]
        >

        > So it looks as if your István worked [on a barge?] on the Vag River
        rather
        > than on a train.
        >

        > If you do not have a good Hungarian-English dictionary,
        > http://dict. <http://dict.sztaki.hu/english-hungarian>
        sztaki.hu/english-hungarian is pretty good for
        individual words.
        > Beware, though, of trying to translate a sentence this way.
        Hungarian is an
        > impossibly complex language. The translation website
        > http://www.webfordi <http://www.webforditas.hu/index.php> tas.hu/index.php
        can be helpful, but when in
        doubt, you
        > really need a Hungarian.
        >

        > Janet

      • jcotteret
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
          Dear Janet,
          I think that "kir." stands for "kiraly" (with an accent on the
          a) ,i.e. "royal".

          Jacques

          wrote:

          > Dear John,
          >

          > My dictionaries (I do not read Hungarian) indicate that
          uszálykormányos
          > means steersman on a barge. Again the "ok" is the plural form.
          >

          > Hajózási vállalatok.
          >
          > [Shipping company]
          >

          > Magyar kir. Folyam- és Tengerhajózási Részvénytársaság.
          >
          > [Name of the company.]
          >
          > Magyar = Hungarian
          >
          > Kir. = not sure of this abbreviation
          >
          > Folyam- = river-
          >
          > és = and
          >
          > Tengerhajózás = ocean-going navigation
          >
          > Részvénytársaság = company
          >

          > Hajós személyzet. [Seafaring staff]
          >

          > So it looks as if your István worked [on a barge?] on the Vag River
          rather
          > than on a train.
          >

          > If you do not have a good Hungarian-English dictionary,
          > http://dict.sztaki.hu/english-hungarian is pretty good for
          individual words.
          > Beware, though, of trying to translate a sentence this way.
          Hungarian is an
          > impossibly complex language. The translation website
          > http://www.webforditas.hu/index.php can be helpful, but when in
          doubt, you
          > really need a Hungarian.
          >

          > Janet

        • Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
            Thank you, Jacques. I know I have run into this abbreviation before, and I
            should have remembered.

            Janet

            _____