New to Group-Searching Neborak, Sim, Porizany, Hudik, Pelyak, Vasily, Chromko

  • kathychef
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
      Hello!

      I'm researching my grandfather William (Basil/Vasil) Neborak b. 14
      Aug 1894 in Vysny Mirosov. Parents were Andrej Neborak b. 8 Feb 1857
      (Vysny Mirosov) and Helena Pelyak b. 1855 in Hutka. Andrej's parents
      were Vasil Neborak b. 24 Oct 1810 in Vysny Mirosov, d. 8 Jan 1892.
      He married Anna Porizany on 18 Nov 1839. Anna was born on 15 Aug
      1817 and died on 19 Feb 1875. Vasil's parents were Lucas Neborak and
      Fena (possibly Teodozia) Hakun. Anna's parents were Jan Porizany and
      Maria Vasily. I don't have any information about Lucas & Fena or Jan
      & Maria.

      My grandmother was Maria Sim (also spelled Szim/Szeim) born 1 Feb
      1893 in Hutka. Her parents were Michal Sim (b. 1855 in Hutka) and
      Pelagia Hudik (or Chudik). Pelagia was born 18 April 1864 in Vysny
      Polianka. Michal and Pelagia were married on 19 May 1878. Michal's
      father was Jan Sim. Pelagia's parents were Jan Hudik and Anna
      Chromko (or Hromko).

      I'd appreciate any information!

      Thanks,

      Kathy Neborak
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
        >>> b. 14 Aug 1894 in Vysny Mirosov. <<<

        >>> Helena Pelyak b. 1855 in Hutka. <<<

        >>> Pelagia was born 18 April 1864 in Vysny [sic] Polianka. <<<

        BASIC RESEARCH HELP
        For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
        site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

        CENTER (FHC)
        The Mormons have been microfilming historic vital records worldwide
        for decades as part of their mission. The Mormons make their
        collection available to anyone for viewing at their Family History
        Centers (FHC). The microfilms are stored in Salt Lake City. When you
        visit a center, you can "rent" a microfilm, by paying a small fee
        (abt. $5 per film). The center will order the film on your behalf and
        notify you when it arrives at their center. You can then use reserve
        the microfilm readers to view these records.

        There's one more thing to keep in mind about the FHC. For the most
        part, the FHC volunteers will know NOTHING about research in Slovakia
        or about the contents of the films. The volunteer may know about
        his/her own heritage, but that is about it. That's where you need
        groups like this to point you in the right direction.

        www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church
        records cover baptisms (krsteni),

        LDS has Greek Catholic parish register of baptisms, marriages and
        deaths for Vyšní Mirošov, Slovakia, formerly Felsõ-Mirosó, Sáros,
        Hungary. Includes the affiliated towns of Nižní Mirošov and Hutka,
        Slovakia; formerly Alsó-Mirosó and Hutka, Sáros, Hungary.

        Krsty 1805-1852, 1805-1856 Uzavreté manželstvá 1805-1815 Uzavreté
        manželstvá 1817-1843 Úmrtia 1805-1852 Uzavreté manželstvá 1844-1852
        Uzavreté manželstvá 1854, 1856 Úmrtia 1852-1856 Krsty 1856-1901
        Uzavreté manželstvá 1856-1878 Úmrtia 1856-1901 Krsty (Hutka) 1805-
        1831 - FHL INTL Film [ 1920571 Items 5-8 ]

        Krsty (Hutka) 1831-1839 Uzavreté manželstvá (Hutka) 1805-1855 Krsty
        (Hutka) 1839-1855 Úmrtia (Hutka) 1805-1855 Uzavreté manželstvá (Nižní
        Mirošov) 1805-1873 Úmrtia (Nižní Mirošov) 1805-1824 Úmrtia (Nižní
        Mirošov) 1827-1873 Krsty (Nižní Mirošov) 1874-1901 Uzavreté
        manželstvá (Nižní Mirošov) 1874-1900 Úmrtia (Nižní Mirošov) 1874-
        1901 - FHL INTL Film [ 1920559 Items 1-4 ]

        Druhopisy: Krsty a uzavreté manželstvá 1863 Krsty, uzavreté
        manželstvá, úmrtia 1864 Krsty a uzavreté manželstvá 1866 Krsty,
        uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1876-1892 Krsty, uzavreté manželstvá,
        úmrtia 1895 - FHL INTL Film [ 1920559 Item 5 ]

        There are no records shown at LDS for Vysna Polianka but the nearby
        village of Ondavka has records.

        LDS has Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
        deaths for Becherov, Slovakia, formerly Beheró Sáros, Hungary.
        Includes affiliated towns of Ondavka and Regetovka, Slovakia,
        formerly Ondavka, Sáros, Hungary and Regettõ, Sáros,

        Krsty 1866-1876 Uzavreté manželstvá 1864-1877 Úmrtia 1847-1877 Krsty
        1877-1893 Uzavreté manželstvá 1877-1893 Úmrtia 1877-1893 Krsty 1877-
        1893 Uzavreté manželstvá 1877-1893 Úmrtia 1877-1893 ONDAVKA Krsty,
        úmrtia 1863-1877 Krsty 1819-1862 - FHL INTL Film [ 1792048 Items 2-
        10 ]

        Uzavreté manželstvá 1819-1875 Úmrtia 1819-1869 Krsty 1877-1893 Úmrtia
        1877-1893 Krsty 1893-1934 Uzavreté manželstvá 1894-1935 Úmrtia 1893-
        1935 REGETOVKA Krsty 1819-1867 Uzavreté manželstvá 1819-1875 Úmrtia
        1819-1868 Krsty 1877-1893 - FHL INTL Film [ 1792048 Items 2-10 ]

        Uzavreté manželstvá 1877-1893 Úmrtia 1877-1893 Krsty 1894-1934
        Uzavreté manželstvá 1894-1934 Úmrtia 1894-1935 - FHL INTL Film [
        1792048 Items 2-10 ]

        Úmrtia 1877-1893 Krsty 1893-1925 Uzavreté manželstvá 1894-1925 Úmrtia
        1894-1925 BECHEROV DruhopisÍ Krsty, uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1864-
        1898 - FHL INTL Film [ 1792049 Items 1-3 ]

        go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film
        will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
          LDS has the very informative 1869 Hungarian Census on film for your
          villages.

          Felsõ-Mirosó (Vyšný Mirosov) Film 2150634 Item 2
          Hutka (Hutka) Film 2150631 Item 5
          Felsõ-Polyánka (Vyšná Polianka) Film 2150634 Item 4
        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
            1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
            The old Hungarian map can be found at:
            http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg

            Your villages are northeast of Bartfa (Bardejov) in the purple area at
            the top of the map.

            CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just get
            a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will
            likely find in church records.
          • maxine
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
              Hi, would you know where Jakubany, north east of Slovakia, and Michalovice is? thanks maxine

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
                >>> Hi, would you know where Jakubany, north east of Slovakia, and
                Michalovice [sic] is? thanks maxine <<<

                CURRENT MAP

              • Ron Matviyak
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
                  Yes, but it is not in Saros County. Go to this same page and change
                  to the Spis/Spisz/Szepes county and when the map comes up look in the
                  upper right hand corner for OLub. O'Lub or O'Lublau and directly south
                  of that lies Jakubany.

                  Ron

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                  > Hi, would you know where Jakubany, north east of Slovakia, and
                  Michalovice is? thanks maxine

                • Michael Mojher
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
                    Maxine,
                    Jakubany is due south of the present Slovak city of Stara Lubovna by about 6.5 km / 4 miles. If I recall correctly there are some S-R members searching there.
                    Michael Mojher