Translation question #2

  • John
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2008
      Found a Molnár István - the name I was looking for under unkown.

      Had
      Duty: Uszálykormányosok

      Organizational structure
      Hajózási vállalatok.
      Magyar kir. Folyam- és Tengerhajózási Részvénytársaság.
      Hajós személyzet.

      Can anyone please translate - i wish I read the Slovak language.

      Thanks everyone.
    • John
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2008
        Realized and was brought to my attention the above is actually written
        in Hungarian, sorry all.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John" <john248g@...> wrote:

        > Found a Molnár István - the name I was looking for under unkown.
        >
        > Had
        > Duty: Uszálykormányosok
        >
        > Organizational structure
        > Hajózási vállalatok.
        > Magyar kir. Folyam- és Tengerhajózási Részvénytársaság.
        > Hajós személyzet.
        >
        > Can anyone please translate - i wish I read the Slovak language.
        >
        > Thanks everyone.

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
          Dear John,

          My dictionaries (I do not read Hungarian) indicate that uszálykormányos
          means steersman on a barge. Again the “ok” is the plural form.

          Hajózási vállalatok.

          [Shipping company]

          Magyar kir. Folyam- és Tengerhajózási Részvénytársaság.

          [Name of the company.]

          Magyar = Hungarian

          Kir. = not sure of this abbreviation

          Folyam- = river-

          és = and

          Tengerhajózás = ocean-going navigation

          Részvénytársaság = company

          Hajós személyzet. [Seafaring staff]

          So it looks as if your István worked [on a barge?] on the Vag River rather
          than on a train.

          If you do not have a good Hungarian-English dictionary,
          http://dict.sztaki.hu/english-hungarian is pretty good for individual words.
          Beware, though, of trying to translate a sentence this way. Hungarian is an
          impossibly complex language. The translation website
          http://www.webforditas.hu/index.php can be helpful, but when in doubt, you
          really need a Hungarian.

          Janet

        • John
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
            If this is the Istvan MOLNAR that appears to be the case. Looks like
            I will need to investigate that this Istvan is my Istvan. Molnar
            appears to be a somewhat common name realtively speaking.

            Thanks again for all your help.

            John
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...>
            wrote:

            > Dear John,
            >

            > My dictionaries (I do not read Hungarian) indicate that
            uszálykormányos
            > means steersman on a barge. Again the "ok" is the plural form.
            >

            > Hajózási vállalatok.
            >
            > [Shipping company]
            >

            > Magyar kir. Folyam- és Tengerhajózási Részvénytársaság.
            >
            > [Name of the company.]
            >
            > Magyar = Hungarian
            >
            > Kir. = not sure of this abbreviation
            >
            > Folyam- = river-
            >
            > és = and
            >
            > Tengerhajózás = ocean-going navigation
            >
            > Részvénytársaság = company
            >

            > Hajós személyzet. [Seafaring staff]
            >

            > So it looks as if your István worked [on a barge?] on the Vag River
            rather
            > than on a train.
            >

            > If you do not have a good Hungarian-English dictionary,
            > http://dict.sztaki.hu/english-hungarian is pretty good for
            individual words.
            > Beware, though, of trying to translate a sentence this way.
            Hungarian is an
            > impossibly complex language. The translation website
            > http://www.webforditas.hu/index.php can be helpful, but when in
            doubt, you
            > really need a Hungarian.
            >

            > Janet

          • Janet Kozlay
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
              Considering that István Molnár means Steve Miller, it isn’t too surprising
              that there are a lot of them. Molnár is the 8th most common surname in
              Hungary.

              Janet

              _____

              wrote:

              > Dear John,
              >

              > My dictionaries (I do not read Hungarian) indicate that
              uszálykormányos
              > means steersman on a barge. Again the "ok" is the plural form.
              >

              > Hajózási vállalatok.
              >
              > [Shipping company]
              >

              > Magyar kir. Folyam- és Tengerhajózási Részvénytársaság.
              >
              > [Name of the company.]
              >
              > Magyar = Hungarian
              >
              > Kir. = not sure of this abbreviation
              >
              > Folyam- = river-
              >
              > és = and
              >
              > Tengerhajózás = ocean-going navigation
              >
              > Részvénytársaság = company
              >

              > Hajós személyzet. [Seafaring staff]
              >

              > So it looks as if your István worked [on a barge?] on the Vag River
              rather
              > than on a train.
              >

              > If you do not have a good Hungarian-English dictionary,
              > http://dict. <http://dict.sztaki.hu/english-hungarian>
              sztaki.hu/english-hungarian is pretty good for
              individual words.
              > Beware, though, of trying to translate a sentence this way.
              Hungarian is an
              > impossibly complex language. The translation website
              > http://www.webfordi <http://www.webforditas.hu/index.php> tas.hu/index.php
              can be helpful, but when in
              doubt, you
              > really need a Hungarian.
              >

              > Janet

            • jcotteret
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
                Dear Janet,
                I think that "kir." stands for "kiraly" (with an accent on the
                a) ,i.e. "royal".

                Jacques

                wrote:

                > Dear John,
                >

                > My dictionaries (I do not read Hungarian) indicate that
                uszálykormányos
                > means steersman on a barge. Again the "ok" is the plural form.
                >

                > Hajózási vállalatok.
                >
                > [Shipping company]
                >

                > Magyar kir. Folyam- és Tengerhajózási Részvénytársaság.
                >
                > [Name of the company.]
                >
                > Magyar = Hungarian
                >
                > Kir. = not sure of this abbreviation
                >
                > Folyam- = river-
                >
                > és = and
                >
                > Tengerhajózás = ocean-going navigation
                >
                > Részvénytársaság = company
                >

                > Hajós személyzet. [Seafaring staff]
                >

                > So it looks as if your István worked [on a barge?] on the Vag River
                rather
                > than on a train.
                >

                > If you do not have a good Hungarian-English dictionary,
                > http://dict.sztaki.hu/english-hungarian is pretty good for
                individual words.
                > Beware, though, of trying to translate a sentence this way.
                Hungarian is an
                > impossibly complex language. The translation website
                > http://www.webforditas.hu/index.php can be helpful, but when in
                doubt, you
                > really need a Hungarian.
                >

                > Janet

              • Janet Kozlay
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
                  Thank you, Jacques. I know I have run into this abbreviation before, and I
                  should have remembered.

                  Janet

                  _____