RE: [S-R] Railroad Question

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
      John, you can view the railroad lines in Trencsén megye in 1913 at
      http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/trencsen.jpg. The major railroad
      follows the Vag river, southwest to northeast, shown by the broken line,
      with branches coming from the southeast to the city of Trencsén and then to
      the northwest. So you can see that Trencsén was a hub city and Trencinska
      Tepla was right on the line.

      Radix has a listing of 56,000 railroad employees in 1911 (see
      http://www.radixindex.com/databases/pv007001.shtml), but I think this is too
      late for your István. (Please note the spelling of István, John.)

      Janet

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
        Janet,

        Thank You so Much! What great information. That actually would be
        the right timeframe and the one employee listed for Trencin
        was "Molnár Gy." The correct last name not sure of what the "Gy."
        stands for or if this is him. Her brothers also worked for the
        railroad but changed the spelling of the last name to the Slovak
        version of Molnar to keep their jobs at the railroad apparnently
        there was a predjudice against Hungarians in Slovakia after Austro-
        Hungary was desolved, or so my great aunt had told me.

        John

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...>

        ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
        > Behalf Of John
        > Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 11:12 AM
        > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [S-R] Railroad Question
        >

        > My Great Great Grandfather Istavan MOLNAR was a RR conductor in
        > Trencinska Tepla in the late 1800's an early 1900's would anyone
        know
        > what RR this might be and if there is anywhere to gr=et information
        > about the railroad and employees? Thanks again!
        >
        > John

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
          Hi John - i would guess that "Gy" was an abbreviation
          for Gyorgy - George in Hungarian

          Janet is amazing to come up with this resource - i
          didn't know such existed.

          helene

        • John
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
            Thank you Helene. Janet has been a tremendous help, in the short
            time I have been on this group I have found everyone to be very
            helpful and kind - very glad I found you all.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>