Railroad Question

  • John
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
      My Great Great Grandfather Istavan MOLNAR was a RR conductor in
      Trencinska Tepla in the late 1800's an early 1900's would anyone know
      what RR this might be and if there is anywhere to gr=et information
      about the railroad and employees? Thanks again!

      John
    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
        John, you can view the railroad lines in Trencsén megye in 1913 at
        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/trencsen.jpg. The major railroad
        follows the Vag river, southwest to northeast, shown by the broken line,
        with branches coming from the southeast to the city of Trencsén and then to
        the northwest. So you can see that Trencsén was a hub city and Trencinska
        Tepla was right on the line.

        Radix has a listing of 56,000 railroad employees in 1911 (see
        http://www.radixindex.com/databases/pv007001.shtml), but I think this is too
        late for your István. (Please note the spelling of István, John.)

        Janet

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
          Janet,

          Thank You so Much! What great information. That actually would be
          the right timeframe and the one employee listed for Trencin
          was "Molnár Gy." The correct last name not sure of what the "Gy."
          stands for or if this is him. Her brothers also worked for the
          railroad but changed the spelling of the last name to the Slovak
          version of Molnar to keep their jobs at the railroad apparnently
          there was a predjudice against Hungarians in Slovakia after Austro-
          Hungary was desolved, or so my great aunt had told me.

          John

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...>

          ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
          > Behalf Of John
          > Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 11:12 AM
          > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [S-R] Railroad Question
          >

          > My Great Great Grandfather Istavan MOLNAR was a RR conductor in
          > Trencinska Tepla in the late 1800's an early 1900's would anyone
          know
          > what RR this might be and if there is anywhere to gr=et information
          > about the railroad and employees? Thanks again!
          >
          > John

        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
            Hi John - i would guess that "Gy" was an abbreviation
            for Gyorgy - George in Hungarian

            Janet is amazing to come up with this resource - i
            didn't know such existed.

            helene

          • John
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
              Thank you Helene. Janet has been a tremendous help, in the short
              time I have been on this group I have found everyone to be very
              helpful and kind - very glad I found you all.

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>