Re: Need help with translation

  • Paul Guzowski
    Message 1 of 20 , May 30, 2008
      Jim,

      This letter is a response from an archive in Poland (Warsaw or Warsaw
      area). Slovak and Polish are close enough that someone on this list could
      probably give you a rough translation but you'd probably have better luck
      with the Polish group, polish_geniuses@yahoogroups.com.

      Paul in NW Florida

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 20 , May 30, 2008
        Thanks Paul.

        I joined / posted to the Galicia_Poland-Ukraine group last night, but
        haven't heard from anyone yet. I'll try the one you referenced.

        Regards,
        Jim in Pittsburgh

        _____

        This letter is a response from an archive in Poland (Warsaw or Warsaw
        area). Slovak and Polish are close enough that someone on this list could
        probably give you a rough translation but you'd probably have better luck
        with the Polish group, polish_geniuses@
        <mailto:polish_geniuses%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com.

        Paul in NW Florida

      • paw1776
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
          I posted a copy of a baptismal certificate for Maria Miklus. It is written in Hungarian however we believe she was of Carpatho-Rusyn heritage and lived in what is now Slovakia. Can anyone translate this? We are trying to determine the village of birth as we will be traveling there this summer and wish to visit the village.

          Thanks!

          Polly Russinik Walker
        • vchromoho
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "paw1776" <paw1776@...> wrote:

            > I posted a copy of a baptismal certificate for Maria Miklus. It is written in Hungarian however we believe she was of Carpatho-Rusyn heritage and lived in what is now Slovakia. Can anyone translate this? We are trying to determine the village of birth as we will be traveling there this summer and wish to visit the village.
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Polly Russinik Walker

            I believe it's from Kelember / Klembarok / Klembark, now Klenov southwest of Presov. I recognize the other surnames mentioned there, Krehel and Adzima, as being from either that village or neighboring Miklusovce.

            Juraj Cisarik's page on Klenov confirms that:
            http://www.cisarik.com/village-0840.html
          • Janet Kozlay
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
              Maria was baptized on May 21, 1883. Her date of birth was either the 20th or
              the 21st-it's not clear.

              Father: Jozsef Miklos, Greek Catholic

              Mother: Erzsebet Marchevczky, Greek Catholic

              (These are Hungarian spellings of the names. The Marchevczky is only my best
              guess.)

              Residence: House #23 in village of Kelember. This is southwest of Presov
              (old Eperjes) and is now called Klenov SK.

              Godparents: Vazul Krehaly and Maria Markocsin

              The data on this certificate were transcribed from the original Greek
              Catholic church records in 1915.

              Greek Catholic church records for Kelember (also spelled Klemberk and
              Klembarek) 1825-1898 are available through your local Family History Center.
              Be sure and do all the research you can BEFORE your trip. You may very well
              learn nothing new about your family while you're there.

              This is a tiny village of approximately 200 people. See the wonderful photo
              taken in the village at
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Slovakia_Sariska_highlands_57.jpg. I
              believe the large wooden building is the Greek Catholic church.

              There is an Anna Miklusova listed in the phone directory at #149 Klenov who
              may be related.

              Have a great trip.

              Janet

              _____

              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                Polly,
                I can give you some of it. Fortunately there is the Latin in smaller letters underneath the Hungarian. From the little I know this is what I can make out. The town spelling on the residence line and by the priest who filled out the copy seem slightly different. The first I see as Kolenuber and the second as Kelembaren. Hopefully, someone else will look at it and can tell what it is.
                First line is the day of birth 1883 May 2?
                Second line is the baptismal date 1883 May 21. Which would make the birth date the 20th.
                Name Maria
                leany girl
                legitimate
                Parents - Miklos Jozsef, religion ? Catholic
                March(e?)vesky ?szsabel, religion Greek Catholic
                Residence - Kolenuber house 23
                This is a copy that was filled out in March of 1915 by (name?) a Greek Catholic priest.

                I posted a copy of a baptismal certificate for Maria Miklus. It is written in Hungarian however we believe she was of Carpatho-Rusyn heritage and lived in what is now Slovakia. Can anyone translate this? We are trying to determine the village of birth as we will be traveling there this summer and wish to visit the village.

                Thanks!

                Polly Russinik Walker

              • Paw1776
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 4, 2009
                  Thank you to everyone who responded with translations and filled in all of the blanks. I truly appreciate it!!!

                  Polly Russinik Walker

                • Robert Pollak
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 5, 2012
                    In reviewing records for Krasnohorske Podhradie, I came across what I believe may be my great-grandfather's second wife.  The record is found at ROZNAVA,-KRASNOHORSKE PODHRADIE,  Baptisms, conversions deaths 1744-1864.  The record is on frame 354 of 670,  on the right side of the page , the 8th line down, date is March 2.

                    In the Parent's column above the name Vittek Maria, there is writing which looks like "aratya  nem , a cross, and what appears to be udattik"
                    I have tried Google Translate using Latin, Slovak and Hungarian with no luck.
                    Can anyone decipher what is written?  It would greatly be appreciated.

                    Thank you

                    Bob Pollak

                  • Sue Martin
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 5, 2012
                      Can you send the link so we can look at it? From what you've said, it's Hungarian, but it would be useful to be able to see it.

                      Sue

                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 5, 2012
                        In reviewing records for Krasnohorske Podhradie, I came across what I
                        believe may be my great-grandfather's second wife.  The record is found
                        at ROZNAVA,-KRASNOHORSKE PODHRADIE,  Baptisms, conversions deaths
                        1744-1864.  The record is on frame 354 of 670,  on the right side of the page , the 8th line down, date is March 2.

                        In the Parent's column above the name Vittek Maria, there is writing
                        which looks like "aratya  nem , a cross, and what appears to be udattik"
                        I have tried Google Translate using Latin, Slovak and Hungarian with no luck.
                        Can anyone decipher what is written?  It would greatly be appreciated.

                        Thank you

                        Bob Pollak

                        Link to page.  Sorry I forgot to include it in my original email.

                        https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22649-2569-64?cc=1554443&wc=MM17-7LN:1906989890

                      • MGMojher

                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 5, 2012
                            Bob,
                            It simply says 'father not known [disclosed]' . What you thought was a cross is the letter "t" of the word tudattak, which is the one meaning disclosed or known.

                            Curt B.

                          • david1law@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 5, 2012
                              Dear Bob:

                              Are you able to post the page of the records? I have searched through the
                              records before, and compiled a lot of information, but unfortunately, my old
                              computer crashed. Moral to the story: back up all genealogical records.
                              So I would be happy to be a second set of eyes to help decypher the writing.

                              My great, great, great grandfather JAN HRONEC was born in ROZNAVA. For
                              some reason, your surname POLLAK rings a bell but I cannot place my finger
                              at the moment. My HRONEC clan had lived in villages of BRZOTIN and CUCMA
                              among others. The surnames below are in my direct lineage

                              Please also feel to write me directly at _David1Law@..._
                              (mailto:David1Law@...) .

                              Best regards,

                              David

                              Researching the village of ROZNAVA, BRZOTIN, and CUCMA in GEMER County //
                              the villages of DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, KIS SZALOK, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA,
                              MLYNICA, RICHNAVA, SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS
                              County // the villages of DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the
                              following surnames: BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ
                              (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY, HARENCSAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL,
                              KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN, RUSZBACZKY, TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant
                              spellings thereof.

                              Also KUBIT, MOSKAL, ZAJDEL, WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL,
                              GLOWIENKA, and KROSNO, POLAND.

                              In a message dated 12/5/2012 9:26:28 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                              rjp4053@... writes:

                              In reviewing records for Krasnohorske Podhradie, I came across what I
                              believe may be my great-grandfather's second wife. The record is found at
                              ROZNAVA,-KRASNOHORSKE PODHRADIE, Baptisms, conversions deaths 1744-1864. The
                              record is on frame 354 of 670, on the right side of the page , the 8th
                              line down, date is March 2.

                              In the Parent's column above the name Vittek Maria, there is writing which
                              looks like "aratya nem , a cross, and what appears to be udattik"
                              I have tried Google Translate using Latin, Slovak and Hungarian with no
                              luck.
                              Can anyone decipher what is written? It would greatly be appreciated.

                              Thank you

                              Bob Pollak

                            • William C. Wormuth
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 7, 2012
                                AZ Atya = Not the Father   On the next page at the bottom are 2 more illegitimate children listed

                                Z Bohom,

                                Vilo

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 14, 2013
                                  Hello, All! I need your help translating information on a marriage record. The image of the record in question was put into a Word document and uploaded into the FILES section. It's named "1814,Feb21-Falatko,Georgius-marriage record.docx". The page headers are included along with the marriage record.

                                  I can find ancestors names in the second column - Georgius Falatko and Cath. Schwartz - but I cannot read the remaining text with the names. Also, I am interested in knowing the towns in the last column. I think Catharina's town is Golintz (now Gelnica), but not sure of Georgius' town. Could it be Krompach (now Krompachy)?

                                  Thanks, as always, for your kind help.

                                  Mary Ellen Pierson
                                • John
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 14, 2013
                                    What is the URL for this church record?

                                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lickridge" <maryellen.pierson@...> wrote:

                                    > Hello, All! I need your help translating information on a marriage record. The image of the record in question was put into a Word document and uploaded into the FILES section. It's named "1814,Feb21-Falatko,Georgius-marriage record.docx". The page headers are included along with the marriage record.
                                    >
                                    > I can find ancestors names in the second column - Georgius Falatko and Cath. Schwartz - but I cannot read the remaining text with the names. Also, I am interested in knowing the towns in the last column. I think Catharina's town is Golintz (now Gelnica), but not sure of Georgius' town. Could it be Krompach (now Krompachy)?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks, as always, for your kind help.
                                    >
                                    > Mary Ellen Pierson

                                  • lickridge
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 15, 2013
                                      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22647-9110-80?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-C11:1545518370

                                      Thank you!

                                      > What is the URL for this church record?
                                      >
                                      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lickridge" <maryellen.pierson@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Hello, All! I need your help translating information on a marriage record. The image of the record in question was put into a Word document and uploaded into the FILES section. It's named "1814,Feb21-Falatko,Georgius-marriage record.docx". The page headers are included along with the marriage record.
                                      > >
                                      > > I can find ancestors names in the second column - Georgius Falatko and Cath. Schwartz - but I cannot read the remaining text with the names. Also, I am interested in knowing the towns in the last column. I think Catharina's town is Golintz (now Gelnica), but not sure of Georgius' town. Could it be Krompach (now Krompachy)?
                                      > >
                                      > > Thanks, as always, for your kind help.
                                      > >
                                      > > Mary Ellen Pierson

                                    • John
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 15, 2013
                                        The village names are Gelnica and Krompachy.

                                        Sorry, I can't interpret the text near the names.

                                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lickridge" <maryellen.pierson@...> wrote:

                                        > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22647-9110-80?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-C11:1545518370
                                        >
                                        > Thank you!

                                        > > What is the URL for this church record?
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lickridge" <maryellen.pierson@> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Hello, All! I need your help translating information on a marriage record. The image of the record in question was put into a Word document and uploaded into the FILES section. It's named "1814,Feb21-Falatko,Georgius-marriage record.docx". The page headers are included along with the marriage record.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I can find ancestors names in the second column - Georgius Falatko and Cath. Schwartz - but I cannot read the remaining text with the names. Also, I am interested in knowing the towns in the last column. I think Catharina's town is Golintz (now Gelnica), but not sure of Georgius' town. Could it be Krompach (now Krompachy)?
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Thanks, as always, for your kind help.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Mary Ellen Pierson

                                      • CurtB
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 15, 2013
                                          Mary Ellen,

                                          The notes in the register are the words this priest uses to accompany almost all the marriage records in surrounding pages. That is why it is important to see much of the register and not just the individual record before commenting.

                                          He describes the couple as Honestus virtus cum virgine. It just means he was free to marry and she was never married before.

                                          I too, read the place name as Krompach and Gelnica

                                          Curt B.

                                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lickridge" <maryellen.pierson@...> wrote:

                                          > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22647-9110-80?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-C11:1545518370
                                          >
                                          > Thank you!

                                          > > What is the URL for this church record?
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lickridge" <maryellen.pierson@> wrote:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Hello, All! I need your help translating information on a marriage record. The image of the record in question was put into a Word document and uploaded into the FILES section. It's named "1814,Feb21-Falatko,Georgius-marriage record.docx". The page headers are included along with the marriage record.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > I can find ancestors names in the second column - Georgius Falatko and Cath. Schwartz - but I cannot read the remaining text with the names. Also, I am interested in knowing the towns in the last column. I think Catharina's town is Golintz (now Gelnica), but not sure of Georgius' town. Could it be Krompach (now Krompachy)?
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Thanks, as always, for your kind help.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Mary Ellen Pierson

                                        • Mary Ellen Pierson
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Aug 16, 2013
                                            Thanks, Curt and John, for your help. This is one of the best listservs out there.

                                            Mary Ellen

                                            Sent from my iPad