Re: Trencianske Teplice

  • John
    Message 1 of 13 , May 29, 2008
      Thank you very much for the info.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@...>
      wrote:

      > BASIC RESEARCH HELP
      > For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's
      excellent
      > site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

      > (sp?) <<<
      >
      > Trecian Tepla (SP?) = Trencianske Teplice is located 71.5 miles NE
      of
      > Bratislava and 6 miles east of Trencin
      >
      > CURRENT MAP
      > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the
      > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at
      >
      > ShtetlSeeker will take you there via Mapquest, Multimap or Google.
      >
      > To determine what church records are stored in Slovak
      arcives . . .
      > LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
      > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil
      > registration. Provides details of church records that are held in
      > Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
      > references refer to different religions. Most of these church
      records
      > are available on film via your LDS Family History Center. HOWEVER,
      > records for western Slovakia have not yet been released and so you
      > will have two choices:
      > 1) Wait for their eventual release, or
      > 2) Hire a researcher to study the records at the archive in
      > Slovakia.
      > LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER FILM
      > You can go to the LDS web site to locate your nearest Family
      History
      > Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
      > go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film
      > will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.
      > www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

    • John
      Message 2 of 13 , May 29, 2008
        Thank you for the great map!

        > 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
        > The old Hungarian map can be found at:
        > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/nyitra.jpg
        >
        > Look in the upper left corner of the map to find Holics [Hungarian
        sp].

        > SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program.
        > CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
        get
        > a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will
        > likely find in church records.

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 13 , May 30, 2008
          John,

          If I am correct, your Maria Molnar immigrated on January 25, 1912, from
          Holak, Trencsen county, aboard The Kroonland to her brother-in-law John
          Jura. Father, living in Holak, was Istvan Molnar (no "e" in Istvan,
          Hungarian form of Stephen).

          Holak is not the same as Holic, but rather an alternate name for Trencianska
          Tepla. It is just northeast of the city of Trencin, near but not identical
          with Trencianske Teplice.

          Holic was in Nyitra county.

          As far as I can determine, the church records for this village have not yet
          been released by LDS, so you may have to wait a bit.

          There are 1828 census records for Tepla (LDS #623161). However, not only is
          this a bit too early, the 1828 records do not tell you very much. (See
          discussion of censuses at www.iabsi.com <http://www.iabsi.com/> .)

          If you cannot wait, you might want to contact a genealogist in the area such
          as Vladimir Bohinc (www.konekta.sk <http://www.konekta.sk/> ).

          Janet

          _____

          Message 4 of 13 , May 30, 2008
            John, there is a nice photo of this village at
            http://www.trencianskatepla.sk <http://www.trencianskatepla.sk/> .

            Trencianska Tepla has a population of about 4000.

            Janet

            _____

            <http://www.iabsi.com/> com/> .)

            If you cannot wait, you might want to contact a genealogist in the area such
            as Vladimir Bohinc (www.konekta.sk <http://www.konekta
            <http://www.konekta.sk/> sk/> ).

            Janet

            _____

            From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
            yahoogroups.com] On
            Behalf Of John
            Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:16 AM
            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

          • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 30, 2008
              Trencianska Tepla
              ILAVA has Jewish records
              OPATOVA has RC records
              TRENCINSKA TEPLA has RC records 1782-1895
              TRENCIN has Evangelica records

              I agree with Janet, the RC records are not yet available at the FHL.

              Bill