Re: [S-R] Holic'

  • Tom Geiss
    Message 1 of 13 , May 29, 2008
      John Q Adam,
      Just wonder if you would happen to have the microfilm number that covers someone who was born in Spisska Nova Ves ( Iglo Hungary), in 1866; Also the film number of the same person's death record in Brezovica Nad Torysou , in, or about , 1946. Tom
      Message 2 of 13 , May 29, 2008
        >>> Just wonder if you would happen to have the microfilm number that
        covers someone who was born in Spisska Nova Ves ( Iglo Hungary), in
        1866; <<<

        1) you didn't specify a religion.
        2) The info is on line at the LDS site

        RC Krsty 1856-1885 Film 1739841

        >>> death record in Brezovica Nad Torysou in 1946 <<<
        That's in the municipal records office.
      • Fred G Kovalyak
        Message 3 of 13 , May 29, 2008
             I recall a family by the name of Molnar in Adrian/Delancy & Punxsutawney,Pa.
          However that was  over 40 years ago.
               FG Kovalyak

          Message 4 of 13 , May 29, 2008
            Thank you very much for the info.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@...>
            wrote:

            > BASIC RESEARCH HELP
            > For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's
            excellent
            > site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

            > (sp?) <<<
            >
            > Trecian Tepla (SP?) = Trencianske Teplice is located 71.5 miles NE
            of
            > Bratislava and 6 miles east of Trencin
            >
            > CURRENT MAP
            > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the
            > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at
            >
            > ShtetlSeeker will take you there via Mapquest, Multimap or Google.
            >
            > To determine what church records are stored in Slovak
            arcives . . .
            > LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
            > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil
            > registration. Provides details of church records that are held in
            > Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
            > references refer to different religions. Most of these church
            records
            > are available on film via your LDS Family History Center. HOWEVER,
            > records for western Slovakia have not yet been released and so you
            > will have two choices:
            > 1) Wait for their eventual release, or
            > 2) Hire a researcher to study the records at the archive in
            > Slovakia.
            > LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER FILM
            > You can go to the LDS web site to locate your nearest Family
            History
            > Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
            > go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film
            > will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.
            > www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

          • John
            Message 5 of 13 , May 29, 2008
              Thank you for the great map!

              > 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
              > The old Hungarian map can be found at:
              > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/nyitra.jpg
              >
              > Look in the upper left corner of the map to find Holics [Hungarian
              sp].

              > SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program.
              > CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
              get
              > a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will
              > likely find in church records.

            • Janet Kozlay
              Message 6 of 13 , May 30, 2008
                John,

                If I am correct, your Maria Molnar immigrated on January 25, 1912, from
                Holak, Trencsen county, aboard The Kroonland to her brother-in-law John
                Jura. Father, living in Holak, was Istvan Molnar (no "e" in Istvan,
                Hungarian form of Stephen).

                Holak is not the same as Holic, but rather an alternate name for Trencianska
                Tepla. It is just northeast of the city of Trencin, near but not identical
                with Trencianske Teplice.

                Holic was in Nyitra county.

                As far as I can determine, the church records for this village have not yet
                been released by LDS, so you may have to wait a bit.

                There are 1828 census records for Tepla (LDS #623161). However, not only is
                this a bit too early, the 1828 records do not tell you very much. (See
                discussion of censuses at www.iabsi.com <http://www.iabsi.com/> .)

                If you cannot wait, you might want to contact a genealogist in the area such
                as Vladimir Bohinc (www.konekta.sk <http://www.konekta.sk/> ).

                Janet

                _____

                Message 7 of 13 , May 30, 2008
                  John, there is a nice photo of this village at
                  http://www.trencianskatepla.sk <http://www.trencianskatepla.sk/> .

                  Trencianska Tepla has a population of about 4000.

                  Janet

                  _____

                  <http://www.iabsi.com/> com/> .)

                  If you cannot wait, you might want to contact a genealogist in the area such
                  as Vladimir Bohinc (www.konekta.sk <http://www.konekta
                  <http://www.konekta.sk/> sk/> ).

                  Janet

                  _____

                  From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                  yahoogroups.com] On
                  Behalf Of John
                  Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:16 AM
                  To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

                • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 30, 2008
                    Trencianska Tepla
                    ILAVA has Jewish records
                    OPATOVA has RC records
                    TRENCINSKA TEPLA has RC records 1782-1895
                    TRENCIN has Evangelica records

                    I agree with Janet, the RC records are not yet available at the FHL.

                    Bill